iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 3, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #8,630 of 9,047
Just received my brand new micro iDSD non-BL from an authorized vendor, wanted to register on ifi's website but there is no option. Dont you @iFi accept registrations for non-BL micro iDSD any longer?

If you purchased it, then we'll handle it, no worries. Products discontinued (such as silver micro iDSD) are subject to one year warranty.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #8,632 of 9,047
If you purchased it, then we'll handle it, no worries. Products discontinued (such as silver micro iDSD) are subject to one year warranty.
If it was brand new from an authorised vendor, then under EU law it is warranted for 2 years by the vendor.

Dec 4, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #8,633 of 9,047
In B2C business only the starting 6 months the vendor having to prove the malfunction was NOT there from the beginning, thereafter customer has to prove it, which is often impossible, so only 6 months real warranty in EU.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #8,635 of 9,047
I've been having a hard time with my system lately. It's been sounding off. Lacking air and separation, even to the point that busy mixes sound harsh and confused. There has been a lack of involvement and boogie factor. I've checked all the connections and warmed everything up and still this persists. After a few tracks I want to stop listening and do something else as opposed to the usual just one more track and suddenly it's 3:00 in the morning. What could be wrong?

Then I remembered that I flashed all the iFi DACs with firmware 5.3C with the much lauded Gibbs Transient Optimised Digital Filter. Could that be the cause?

So I reflashed firmware 5.2 onto my iDAC2 (checking the filter switch was on Bit Perfect (NOS)) and normal service was instantly resumed. All the above mentioned complaints went away and the music returned in all it's fully separated, airy, involving glory.

So here is my review of 5.3C:

The GTO filter is pants. Long live Bit Perfect (NOS) - and not by a small amount!

Now I must reflash the others...

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #8,636 of 9,047
I've been having a hard time with my system lately. It's been sounding off. Lacking air and separation, even to the point that busy mixes sound harsh and confused. There has been a lack of involvement and boogie factor. I've checked all the connections and warmed everything up and still this persists. After a few tracks I want to stop listening and do something else as opposed to the usual just one more track and suddenly it's 3:00 in the morning. What could be wrong?

Then I remembered that I flashed all the iFi DACs with firmware 5.3C with the much lauded Gibbs Transient Optimised Digital Filter. Could that be the cause?

So I reflashed firmware 5.2 onto my iDAC2 (checking the filter switch was on Bit Perfect (NOS)) and normal service was instantly resumed. All the above mentioned complaints went away and the music returned in all it's fully separated, airy, involving glory.

The GTO filter is pants. Long live Bit Perfect (NOS) - and not by a small amount!

Is that so? I flashed the firmware to 5.3C for my iDAC2 since I had a good result for my new portable device xDSD, though the effect is small (at least my gear/ear). GTO filter is noticeable only when I listen to CD grade source, not Hi-Res. And I used to use Bid-Perfect position on 5.20, while I switched to Minimum Phase on 5.30C for iDAC2.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-xdsd-the-official-thread.873787/page-63#post-14501613

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #8,637 of 9,047

5.3c oversamples the bitperfect :) no more NOS sound

Dec 6, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #8,638 of 9,047
Hi Technobear,

it's a pitty that you failed to upgrade 5.3c properly!

I wonder why just you being techno versatile don't assume that there must have been a faulty upgrade proceeding because many and most others don't have any problems doing so. I invite you to look back at my post Nov 5, 2018 at 2:13 PM #8583 and the following two where I describe my impressions while listening to my music and gear (, BL) via GTO filter upgrade. So I'd like to ncourage you to try it another time, and if you failure again just open a ticket...

Ifi won't develop something not being able to work the way it should do, will they?

Good luck and cheers, yours since early

Tinntize

Dec 6, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #8,640 of 9,047

Was 5.2 the one it shipped with? I got my iDAC2 in 2015, sold it to a friend in 2016 and just got that very unit back last month

Users who are viewing this thread

Back