iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 6, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #6,888 of 9,047

We had PS4 > micro iDSD > Senn HD650s at this year's Gadget Show and the kids wouldn't get off Battlefield 4. We heard a kid say ' I can locate the snipers as I can tell where they are firing from.'  Another kid said, ' I heard a grenade explode 50 yards behind me, awesome.'

It did make our day. The only thing that didnt make our day was when they fought over the controller as they waited patiently but some wouldn't come off the machine! One of them got a ticking off as he threw the controller at a kid and it hit the monitor screen. Kids!

You have created little monsters :wink: These kids are gonna be bugging their parents for HD650s and the iDSD Micro now haha! I myself find it hard to game without the Micro iDSD hooked up, it's just so darn immersive! 

Up until now I have only tried the AKG K7XX with the Micro iDSD for gaming but this coming weekend I will try HD600, AQ Nighthawks and Beyer DT150 to see how they get on. I don't know if you follow gaming closely but sponsorships of big youtubers and gamers on youtube and twitch is a really big thing now, with them promoting certain controllers, headphones etc. Would be pretty darn cool to see a couple of them being sponsored by iFi and rocking the Micro iDSD while streaming gameplay! Its a really big thing now.

Oct 9, 2016 at 6:58 AM Post #6,893 of 9,047

Yes, I have both and have used them both to feed two of my amps on separate occasions as I was deciding which to have in my office rig and which to have in my bedroom rig.

On each occasion my ears preferred the sound of the Micro to the Nano. However, I must be transparent and say that there may be an element of bias, in that I only have one piece from the Nano range and several Micro units which may result in an unconscious lean towards the Micro iDSD.

On each occasion I ensured that the settings were as "equal" as possible and I conducted my listening at the same time of day with equal numbers of electrical items powered up in the household. I fed both from my MacBook Pro and used the same testing tracks.

I like to hear the spaces between notes especially and listen to a range of genres, but return to guitar players with blues influences as my main listening pleasure.

The Micro gave me more timbre and a more holistic rendition to the test tracks, it revealed greater warmth, attack and delay in the notes and a blacker background than the Nano.

But, I still have both and enjoy the results that they give, but I would rather listen to the Micro when I have the time for total absorption and want to hear as much as my ears and equipment can give me.

Oct 9, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #6,894 of 9,047
Yes, I have both and have used them both to feed two of my amps on separate occasions as I was deciding which to have in my office rig and which to have in my bedroom rig.

On each occasion my ears preferred the sound of the Micro to the Nano. However, I must be transparent and say that there may be an element of bias, in that I only have one piece from the Nano range and several Micro units which may result in an unconscious lean towards the Micro iDSD.

On each occasion I ensured that the settings were as "equal" as possible and I conducted my listening at the same time of day with equal numbers of electrical items powered up in the household. I fed both from my MacBook Pro and used the same testing tracks.

I like to hear the spaces between notes especially and listen to a range of genres, but return to guitar players with blues influences as my main listening pleasure.

The Micro gave me more timbre and a more holistic rendition to the test tracks, it revealed greater warmth, attack and delay in the notes and a blacker background than the Nano.

But, I still have both and enjoy the results that they give, but I would rather listen to the Micro when I have the time for total absorption and want to hear as much as my ears and equipment can give me.

Thank you!

Oct 10, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #6,895 of 9,047
anyone here using idsd micro with ciems ?

i have (reference-sounding) NT6 and waiting EE Athena , curious if idsd would be a good match or an overkill , since idsd is mostly made for phones ?

thanx for any feedback

Oct 10, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #6,896 of 9,047
  anyone here using idsd micro with ciems ?

i have (reference-sounding) NT6 and waiting EE Athena , curious if idsd would be a good match or an overkill , since idsd is mostly made for phones ?

thanx for any feedback

iDSD has a thing called iEMatch. It's for sensitive IEMs and CIEMs. So iDSD is also for sensitive little things. I don't think it'll be a problem.

Oct 11, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #6,897 of 9,047
My iDSD works great with Custom Art Harmony 8 Pro. It's rock solid, sounds great, has tons of features. It's just not super portable, so I don't carry it around.

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #6,898 of 9,047
Hello all I'm new here,

I just got into the hifi world. Bought a pair of HD 598 a year ago and with the new iPhone 7 losing the headphone jack I decided to try a DAC. I bought the Audioquest Dragonfly Black v1.5 and have been blown away. Next I saw a deal for the iFi Micro iDsd and just received it tonight. Have to say I think I'm a little disappointed and prefer the Dragonfly. The separation and detail seem to be much better with the Dragonfly although I'm not sure I have the iFi setup correctly since it has more options. For the HD 598s it seems almost too powerful. I have it set to "Eco" as well as the IEM set to "high sensitivity". I can't hear much difference with the Filter options. I'm listening to Tidal in Hifi quality.

Does this amp/DAC need better headphones than HD 598 to shine, or is the Dragonfly that good? Do I need a better source than Tidal? Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm thinking of returning the iFi and trying out the Chord Mojo.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #6,899 of 9,047
Hello all I'm new here,

I just got into the hifi world. Bought a pair of HD 598 a year ago and with the new iPhone 7 losing the headphone jack I decided to try a DAC. I bought the Audioquest Dragonfly Black v1.5 and have been blown away. Next I saw a deal for the iFi Micro iDsd and just received it tonight. Have to say I think I'm a little disappointed and prefer the Dragonfly. The separation and detail seem to be much better with the Dragonfly although I'm not sure I have the iFi setup correctly since it has more options. For the HD 598s it seems almost too powerful. I have it set to "Eco" as well as the IEM set to "high sensitivity". I can't hear much difference with the Filter options. I'm listening to Tidal in Hifi quality.

Does this amp/DAC need better headphones than HD 598 to shine, or is the Dragonfly that good? Do I need a better source than Tidal? Any thoughts are appreciated. I'm thinking of returning the iFi and trying out the Chord Mojo.

Leave the IEM switch off (lower the volume on the phone if needed). Give it some time to burn in (very important), let it play overnight or so. Give some time to your expectations / brain to adapt. Disable upsampling / resampling on the phone if any. Charge the unit fully before first play. With any new amp, try out more headphones, even if you keep using the original ones. I'd give it a week of use before returning it, if sound quality is your only gripe with it.

Oct 13, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #6,900 of 9,047
Leave the IEM switch off (lower the volume on the phone if needed). Give it some time to burn in (very important), let it play overnight or so. Give some time to your expectations / brain to adapt. Disable upsampling / resampling on the phone if any. Charge the unit fully before first play. With any new amp, try out more headphones, even if you keep using the original ones. I'd give it a week of use before returning it, if sound quality is your only gripe with it.
Thanks I will give it some more time and try the burn in. I don't have access to any better headphones though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back