iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 31, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #6,646 of 9,047

I agree on subjectivity. However, there is a limit to that and I would be interested to know what universe people are thinking that the iDSD is analytical and dry. Mojo being "warm" is way overblown imho. Rob Watts himself will say that all Chord products are meant to be perfectly neutral to what the original soundtrack is suppose to sound like.

I should note my impression is after 200+ hours of burn in.

Well to me the iDSD sound a bit analytical. Just a bit and not dry or artificial, though. It's not colored, but all the while very organic and natural. To me the iDSD has one of the best resolution on the high ranges, in comparison with other dac/amps under $1000.

Jul 31, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #6,647 of 9,047
Jul 31, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #6,648 of 9,047
  I have read that the idea that the TubeState sounds tube like is just marketing BS. I am curious if anybody here can confirm that the iCAN SE actually does have a little of the tube like sound or is it so subtle that you could also explain it by expectation?

A lot of what people perceive being "typical tube sound" is owed to tansformers in the signal path (as such, just to achive exactly this, some amp companies put transformers even into a solid state signal path. check out the difference between JR Capri 1 and Capri 2). OTL tube amps do not have that transformer sound signature. Still, tubes are said to produce more even harmonics than transistor amps and by such sound more natural... but I would say this is history.  Modern well designed tube amps as well as transistor based amps have very very little distortion anyway; and the less, the more similar they sound... if(!) the tube amp is ideally matched to the headphone impedance wise. So this last point might be the biggest difference. The damping factor. Here tube amps react more sensitive on the matching. And sometimes, with tube amps more than with transistor amps, it leads to a emphasis on bass that sounds good on otherwise too thinly sounding cans.... but this is a compensation of mistakes, which from my point of view should not be the way (I also do not like to equalize).

Jul 31, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #6,649 of 9,047

A lot of what people perceive being "typical tube sound" is owed to tansformers in the signal path (as such, just to achive exactly this, some amp companies put transformers even into a solid state signal path. check out the difference between JR Capri 1 and Capri 2). OTL tube amps do not have that transformer sound signature. Still, tubes are said to produce more even harmonics than transistor amps and by such sound more natural... but I would say this is history.  Modern well designed tube amps as well as transistor based amps have very very little distortion anyway; and the less, the more similar they sound... if(!) the tube amp is ideally matched to the headphone impedance wise. So this last point might be the biggest difference. The damping factor. Here tube amps react more sensitive on the matching. And sometimes, with tube amps more than with transistor amps, it leads to a emphasis on bass that sounds good on otherwise too thinly sounding cans.... but this is a compensation of mistakes, which from my point of view should not be the way (I also do not like to equalize).

yeah i was in for a shock when i got my tube amp, sounded nothing like I had read about tube amps. It was actually just as neutral and resolving, if not more so, than my solid state amps. Turns out I had completely wrong idea about tubes to begin with :/  Could have saved myself a lot of money if I had known before hand.

Jul 31, 2016 at 9:47 PM Post #6,650 of 9,047
Well I think that it's wrong to come to a generalization about tube amps because the whole point of tube was that you can change the sound. And it's true some tube amps, no matter what tubes they're having, doesn't sound quite "tubey" because the signal is almost as clean and un-colored as transformer amp, Schiit's being the major example. But I think that defeats the whole point of tube amps.

Jul 31, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #6,651 of 9,047
... But I think that defeats the whole point of tube amps.

I agree, I have just now purchased a, what I hope is lovely sounding La Figaro 339, the newest version with some decent tubes. I want to have a different sound signature from solid state as an option. If a tube amp is going to sound mostly like a SS amp, but with new issues and quirks, I say why bother? I also know what you mean RedJohn456, I purchased a new first gen Valhalla several years ago now and it was a nice sounding amp, but I was secretly hoping for some tube warmth. I shouldn't have as I believe Schiit was very clear in their marketing material saying not to expect warm tube sound so I deluded myself.

The La Figaro is supposed to unapologetically sound unique and very musical so I'm stoked. My iDSD Micro will be my DAC and also used as it is intended when I want my SS fix. Good to have two very different amps I think. 

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #6,652 of 9,047
Hey I realize this post is from a year ago but I currently own an iFi Micro, and I was wondering, how did it pair with your Beyerdynamic DT 880's? Which it looks like you no longer have haha

:wink:

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #6,653 of 9,047

I am very happy with the combo. you reference. I run digital cozx. from DX90 --> iDSD with my HD600 or Beyer DT880's (600 Ohm) and the DX90 solo when I want maximum portability or with very low-impedance IEM's. Lot's of great options with this gear. Enjoy whatever you decide.

Hey I realize this post is from a year ago but I currently own an iFi Micro, and I was wondering, how did it pair with your Beyerdynamic DT 880's? Which it looks like you no longer have haha

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #6,654 of 9,047

wink.gif

I'm special :)

Aug 1, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #6,656 of 9,047
Aug 1, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #6,657 of 9,047
Hey Guys...

What are the best ways to hook the micro iDSD to my integrated amplifier ( PM6004 ) and use it like a desktop amp ?! I firstly thought of rca tape out to 3.5mm in on the iDSD.

I am planning to use them to drive a LCD-2 while listening to some vinyls. Would it be a good match ? 

I know it is not a desktop amp, but It would be good to have the option to take it from the desk and take with me on a trip with my iPhone.

Thanks,
Ruddy

Aug 1, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #6,658 of 9,047
  Hey Guys...

What are the best ways to hook the micro iDSD to my integrated amplifier ( PM6004 ) and use it like a desktop amp ?! I firstly thought of rca tape out to 3.5mm in on the iDSD.

I am planning to use them to drive a LCD-2 while listening to some vinyls. Would it be a good match ? 

I know it is not a desktop amp, but It would be good to have the option to take it from the desk and take with me on a trip with my iPhone.

Thanks,
Ruddy

The 3.5mm input is your only option to connect your audio out from the integrated amp to the iDSD. It's got plenty of power to drive the LCD-2, but I'll let others comment on how the pairing goes.

Aug 1, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #6,659 of 9,047
  Hey Guys...

Thanks,
Ruddy

The Micro drives my LCD2F very well, I like the pairing quite a bit actually. I don't know anything about the output from the iPhone to the Micro as I'm not an Apple phone user myself.

Aug 1, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #6,660 of 9,047
Hey Guys...

Thanks,
Ruddy

Yup that would be your best bet. Rca to a 3.5 jack to the micro's 3.5 in. Just to let you know that doing this way you won't be using the micro's DAC

I also love my lcd2.2 with the micro. As a matter of fact I like the micro with every HP and iem I have :wink:, beside my e18 which I use for a portable.

The iPhone is a great source. Doesn't have a problem playing any music app that is compatible with ios and it doesn't upsample anything. All you need is a cck adapter and your good to go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back