iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 21, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #6,571 of 9,047
HI All,

New iDSD owner here. Pretty impressed so far and I think I understand most of the buttons and sliders. However, what is not clear to me is what the USB port on the side is for. I read it's for power only but a couple clarifying questions:

1) Should I connect a USB power cable to the side for best results?
2) If yes, does this also mean that the battery will never be used as long as the side USB port has power?

Thanks!

Jul 21, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #6,572 of 9,047
  HI All,

New iDSD owner here. Pretty impressed so far and I think I understand most of the buttons and sliders. However, what is not clear to me is what the USB port on the side is for. I read it's for power only but a couple clarifying questions:

1) Should I connect a USB power cable to the side for best results?
2) If yes, does this also mean that the battery will never be used as long as the side USB port has power?

Thanks!

It's only for charging other stuff with the iDSD's battery. Imagine it is no different than a wall USB adapter, that's pretty much all it does.
I never once used it on mine.

Jul 21, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #6,573 of 9,047

It's only for charging other stuff with the iDSD's battery. Imagine it is no different than a wall USB adapter, that's pretty much all it does.
I never once used it on mine.

Ah ha! Never once considered power out LOL. thanks

Jul 21, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #6,574 of 9,047
Do you think the Ican SE is a good complement to micro IDSD is that the amp is much better than that of the IDSD ? I have a ATH R70x , I find the very good result so I wonder if I just increase the quality for a modest investment ?

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #6,575 of 9,047
  Do you think the Ican SE is a good complement to micro IDSD is that the amp is much better than that of the IDSD ? I have a ATH R70x , I find the very good result so I wonder if I just increase the quality for a modest investment ?

I have both right here, and YES the iCAN has noticeably improved the the AMP performance over my iDSD Micro.  The Micro is still quite good, but the iCAN SE is just MORE.  Think tricked-out 8 Cylinder Mustang VS 12-Cylinder Ferrari FF.  Either has more horsepower than any SANE person would need, but yes, the Ferrari FF technically has more.  It's like that.

iFi iCAN, iCAN SE, iDSD, & iTUBE with HiFiMan HE400i - All part of my audio audition suite.
(So that you can see that I've been able to test them against each other head-to-head...)

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #6,576 of 9,047
  He guys.  I just got the Micro DSD and some Genelec 8010A's for my work computer setup.  I can't get the Micro DSD to be recognized on my laptop.  I've tried the included blue USB cable in addition to 2 other monoprice USB cables.  I've restarted my laptop and even tried on another laptop.  Mine is a Windows 7 64-bit laptop.  The Micro DSD shows up in the Device Manager but with a Device status that says it 'cannot start (Code 10)'.

Any ideas what to try next?  I filed a ticket with iFi but thought maybe the forum might have some pointers.

If v2.26 driver version doesn't work for you, try with v2.23. When I had Win 7, v2.23 ran perfectly fine.

Hope it helps :wink:

Jul 21, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #6,578 of 9,047

The Micro is more than enough amp in terms of power and quality for the R70X. Hell it is good enough for my LCD 2F and drives it nicely in Normal mode. I think at this quality of sound reproduction differences are very small and more of a sound signature preference (assuming iFi tuned it differently enough to matter).

You will see far more obvious difference/potential improvement with a new headphone (if you are wanting to experience a new signature, not because the R70X isn't a nice headphone).

Jul 21, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #6,579 of 9,047
  Question : the IDSD micro with iTube buffer and Ican Se is good result ..? 

Don't have the iCan but I use the iTube after my iDSD Micro before going to a different amp. The iTube makes a huge difference. Much fuller, smoother sound with lots of low end. Sometimes I can no longer use the iDSD's xbass (in preamp mode). The low end is sometimes too much with it on and with the iTube in the chain.

Before getting the iTube, I asked iFi about the SE's TubeState feature and they stated some of their engineers still insist on using the iTube with the iCan SE.

Jul 22, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #6,580 of 9,047

Before getting the iTube, I asked iFi about the SE's TubeState feature and they stated some of their engineers still insist on using the iTube with the iCan SE.

Hi,

But some dont as we all have different tastes. Some like tubes more, some less.

Always, try before buy!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 23, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #6,581 of 9,047
  I have both right here, and YES the iCAN has noticeably improved the the AMP performance over my iDSD Micro.  The Micro is still quite good, but the iCAN SE is just MORE.  Think tricked-out 8 Cylinder Mustang VS 12-Cylinder Ferrari FF.  Either has more horsepower than any SANE person would need, but yes, the Ferrari FF technically has more.  It's like that.

iFi iCAN, iCAN SE, iDSD, & iTUBE with HiFiMan HE400i - All part of my audio audition suite.
(So that you can see that I've been able to test them against each other head-to-head...)

My "FINAL" combo for the ATH R70x with ear pads Brainwavz hybrid and Forza-audio cable. The IDSD Micro , iTube buffer 100€ on ebay fr and Ican SE from amazon french for 265€

Jul 23, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #6,582 of 9,047
Well I'm happy with the sound I'm getting through the Genelec 8010s and so far I've tried Denon D7000 and Audeze LCD-2v1 with great results.  However, the Micro gets dropped from my laptop somehow when I'm not playing anything (after approx 10-15 minutes of websurfing, etc).  It sends a loud thud to the Genelecs and then the only way to get sound again is to turn the Micro off and then on again.  

Suggestions on how to resolve this?

Jul 23, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #6,583 of 9,047
Well I'm happy with the sound I'm getting through the Genelec 8010s and so far I've tried Denon D7000 and Audeze LCD-2v1 with great results.  However, the Micro gets dropped from my laptop somehow when I'm not playing anything (after approx 10-15 minutes of websurfing, etc).  It sends a loud thud to the Genelecs and then the only way to get sound again is to turn the Micro off and then on again.  

Suggestions on how to resolve this?

You can search this thread but if I recall it times out after so long and the thud is the amp shutting down.

Jul 24, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #6,585 of 9,047

Users who are viewing this thread

Back