iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
May 9, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #6,181 of 9,047
Oceandream1.. I bought mojo and idsd at the same time and sold the mojo. DAC section were comparable (and to be honest, I can't discern much difference from my la scala to exasound to mojo to idsd unless i feed them to my magnepan) but iDSD clearly pulled ahead in its amp section. I don't have the HD600 nor the HE400 to give you a good answer, but I thought that mojo could not drive the HD800 properly (sounded thin and lacked dynamic) where idsd micro had a plenty power to drive HD800 to a satisfying level.

ClintonL.. When I recommended iDSD micro, you said it's hard to get them where you are and now you may change your mind? Seems like not many people here tried both iDSD and valhalla 2 at the same time. Maybe ask the same question at valhalla 2 thread?

May 9, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #6,182 of 9,047
thanks to both williow and tgx for the reply. it seems that both products are pretty much neck and neck based on the replies i got. i get the feeling it is down to whether you want the reassurance of the abillity of ifi to properly drive any headphones you are going to buy as compared to the "marginally" better dac section of the mojo. thats the sense i have got so far. i just wish mojo had amp power on par with ifi. then it would have been a no brainer. also based on review that willow linked, may not need to invest in a better usb cable for the mojo.

May 9, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #6,183 of 9,047
At their price range I'm more curious about the m9xx. Actually I do have the m9xx right now (borrowed) and I do think that they're leagues above my previous DACs, the odac and modi2. But the m9xx is really hard to get in my country, due to all the customs bureaucracy and stuffs. So in the end thanks to the advice of one head-fi member that the idsd micro is on the same level as the m9xx, I ordered the iFi. 

May 9, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #6,184 of 9,047
I connected my Micro to my S7 with an OTG cable and the battery drain is quite significant. The last time I drove a DAC/AMP from an Android device was with Sony Z2/Z3 to an Oppo HA-2. I had a cable made to spec and the battery drain wasn't so bad using USB Audio Player Pro. At the time it was easy to identify because I bought an OTG charging cable by mistake and the battery nose dived. The custom cable immediately stopped that huge drain.

But now with the S7->USB Audio Pro->OTG->Micro->HD650's I can basically see a percentage of battery drop every 2 songs or so. I suppose at 4min per song I'd get away with 8 hours of music but I'm just wondering if anyone else has a Droid and Micro setup?

I'm running 5.1B which stops the sleep charging. 

Some interesting things I've noticed:
When I plug the OTG cable into the phone with the Micro off, it shows a blue LED on the Micro which indicates charging. If I acknowledge the USB driver in Android for USB A Pro (the Mirco is off but still prompts the USB driver in Android) then the blue light goes away. This all happens with the Micro off. My Z2/3 and HA-2 never talked to each other when the HA-2 was off - so this is quite strange for me.

The moment I start a song in USB A Pro with the Micro on the battery starts it dipping. 

Maybe I'm being overly paranoid on the battery aspect? Haven't used a Droid setup for some time. Maybe it might be optimization of USB A Pro in S7 - but to counter that I also checked Onkyo HF and the result was the same. 

EDIT - I am a horribly bad at reading instructions. 

1.) TIP from Manual
"To use the micro iDSD in Battery Power mode, power on the micro iDSD BEFORE connection to the PC otherwise the iDSD will run in USB Power mode."

+

2.) Based off 5.1B notes:
2) This is strictly for Smartphone users ONLY, there is no other reason to use 5.1B on the micro iDSD.
• The micro iDSD micro will try to recharge while in Sleep Mode (e.g. when connected to a PC). If connected to a Smartphone which is ‘seen’ as a computer, it will recharge via the Smartphone.
• 5.1B disables the Sleep Mode within the micro iDSD; hence it will no longer try to recharge during Sleep Mode and flatten the Smartphone’s battery.
• Do NOT use 5.1B on any other products other than micro iDSD.

May 10, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #6,186 of 9,047
How would an idac2 + ican SE compare to a micro? 

Cheers

It is the better choice if you don't need it to be portable.

The micro iCAN is a better headphone amp than the micro iDSD.

May 10, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #6,188 of 9,047
As there is an iPhono2 and an iDAC2,when will there be micro iDSD2?After all it's running since 2014 whichis a long period in the technical area..

ah well, not everything needs updating for no reason. Only if there is a substantial benefit to it. I am sure ifi will spend the money to update the iDSD once they feel they can make it significantly better for the same price.

Also, this is headphone amps - not a typical tech product. No need to have a new one within less than 2 years (which is the case for the iDSD).

There might be a iDSD Pro though maybe?

Take a look at the DAC chips used mostly - not much happening in their top of the line products for decades sometimes....

Cheers!

May 10, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #6,189 of 9,047

Take a look at the DAC chips used mostly - not much happening in their top of the line products for decades sometimes....

Cheers!

And even when "advances" do happen, it is certainly debatable whether or not the changes are even audible. I would bet most DAC chips (not implementations) are transparent to the user, assuming they are well designed.

May 10, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #6,190 of 9,047

ah well, not everything needs updating for no reason. Only if there is a substantial benefit to it. ....

Cheers!

Well, there have been several points of criticism over the last two years, why should ifi not try to eliminate them? As there are f. ex. channel  imbalance of volume knob (no, you can fix this and hold the sound quality at the same level, others can), plop when turning the volume knob on (you can fix this and hold the sound quality up, others can), option to run the device with external power when used as single DAC in home hifi, option to load and hear at the same time, very stiff toggle switches on the front panel (you have to hold the device tight to switch), not raising the highs when switching to 3D, as the ifi is already sounding bright enough without 3D and so on.
wink_face.gif

Regards    

May 10, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #6,192 of 9,047

Well, there have been several points of criticism over the last two years, why should ifi not try to eliminate them? As there are f. ex. channel  imbalance of volume knob (no, you can fix this and hold the sound quality at the same level, others can), plop when turning the volume knob on (you can fix this and hold the sound quality up, others can), option to run the device with external power when used as single DAC in home hifi, option to load and hear at the same time, very stiff toggle switches on the front panel (you have to hold the device tight to switch), not raising the highs when switching to 3D, as the ifi is already sounding bright enough without 3D and so on.
wink_face.gif

Regards    

People criticize a lot - doesn't mean it's an improvement. And for all the things you mention there might be trade-offs. As you know the iDSD was developed with the feedback of the head-fi community - that's why it's such a crazy feature-packed device. 

Example: channel imbalance - this was a tradeoff to have a full analog one but you have the gain modes and IEM match feature to reduce output so you are in the optimal range without imbalance.
Option to run the device as DAC -> you could argue that's what the iDAC is for.
Option to load (I assume you mean charge?) and hear (you mean listen to music?)  at the same time - you can't do that now?
3D - I like it the way it is actually. It's welcome if you have some darker cans - wouldn't be an improvement for me but I would like the different levels from he Retro / iCan Pro.

So you see, there are different viewpoints on what actually an improvement is. I don't say they can't be made. But once you start doing them, make them count - as this costs a lot to change parts, tooling etc. especially for products with these small amount of production runs (comparatively).

Anyhow - in general I am all for progress and I don't care one bit if I have an "older" version. But I assume with ifi producing really good updates (like the iCan to iCan SE) - it won't be a small iterative step but a bigger one.

I recently had the Pro iCan at home and boy - there is some awesome stuff coming from ifi.....

Cheers!

May 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #6,193 of 9,047

People criticize a lot - doesn't mean it's an improvement....

Agree. One thing you won't find on Head-fi is an universal consensus on a 'flawless' product. Besides, most of those complaints were mentioned and addressed during the R&D time (which iFi has explained quite a few in length). Many are compromise for other more important features. By 'fixing' these complaints, you inevitably will create other complaints. Then what are left is the question of, should iFi launches a micro iDSD 2 with only minor upgrade? I would think that, ideally for any manufacturer that you will want newer generation of products to be fairly distinguishable from the last in order to attract your old customer back. No m.iDSD owner will want to spend another $500+ just to address a minor pop-up sound, so to speak.

May 10, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #6,194 of 9,047
It is the better choice if you don't need it to be portable.

The micro iCAN is a better headphone amp than the micro iDSD.

iCAN is hands down one of the best purchases I've ever made. The bass boost scales with the digital input for earth shattering thunder if you want it, the 3D switch makes the soundstage huge. It's really a nice piece of gear, one that I'd pay double for. I just wish the idac had an optical input.

Speaking of optical inputs, if anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear if I would get a huge increase in SQ going from a schiit modi 2 uber to an idsd for my dac. The harsh reality is that there isn't much difference between my $150 modi 2 uber and $25 fiio d03k.

Maybe the ican is just that good, but I'm wondering if I'm leaving a lot on the table by not having a better dac. Headphones are jvc sz2000. Thanks!

May 10, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #6,195 of 9,047
iCAN is hands down one of the best purchases I've ever made. The bass boost scales with the digital input for earth shattering thunder if you want it, the 3D switch makes the soundstage huge. It's really a nice piece of gear, one that I'd pay double for. I just wish the idac had an optical input.

Speaking of optical inputs, if anyone has any experience, I'd love to hear if I would get a huge increase in SQ going from a schiit modi 2 uber to an idsd for my dac. The harsh reality is that there isn't much difference between my $150 modi 2 uber and $25 fiio d03k.

Maybe the ican is just that good, but I'm wondering if I'm leaving a lot on the table by not having a better dac. Headphones are jvc sz2000. Thanks!

Maybe you should upgrade your headphone first in order to hear the significant upgrade. Dac only gives a slight audible improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back