iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 18, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #5,341 of 9,047
  I have found the problem!!!!!! Don´t use DoP marker in foo_dsd_asio DSD Playback Method, use ASIO Native instead. Now 0 problems! Perfect audio again. And I also noticed the SQ improvement!

Regards,
Rafael

Yes, I expereinced the same. After upgrading to 5.1:
Windows8 + ASIO Native ----> All good.
Windows8 + DOP -> Clicking/bopping between song, actually it's bopping when a DSD song stops, no issue for PCM.
Android (LG G2) UAPP (only can do DOP) ---> Same clicking/bopping issue.

Since I mostly use Android UAPP, so I have to rolled it back to 5.0 and hopefully IFI will address this issue soon.

Regard,

Richard.

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #5,342 of 9,047
  I have found the problem!!!!!! Don´t use DoP marker in foo_dsd_asio DSD Playback Method, use ASIO Native instead. Now 0 problems! Perfect audio again. And I also noticed the SQ improvement!

Regards,
Rafael

With the JRiver, I tried ASIO native and ASIO (DoP) modes, and both exhibit the DSD pop noise on the new 5.1
Tried 5.0 and the pop noise does not exist in both ASIO native and ASIO (DoP).

Feb 18, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #5,343 of 9,047
  I've been doing USB DAC for so long......I can't figure how I would test the DSD512 over S/PDIF.

Do I need a compatible digital i/o on my PC?

I figured I could change bitstreaming to S/PDIF in JRMC, and turn off DoP. But I only have a Realtek Digital output on the motherboard and it's not working...

I've got ASIO4ALL mapped to the Realtek but none of the JRMC settings will allow Native DSDx8 to be played...

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.
DSD512 should work via USB on native drivers, but I don't think it would work via S/PDIF, because that would be DoP not native.

DoP of DSD256 requires 768kHz PCM for encapsulation, so I would have thought that DSD512 would require a S/PDIF output that can support PCM 1536kHz. That would be crazy.
(S/PDIF starts to lose signal integrity above 192kHz. The actual standard caps out at 96kHz).

Feb 18, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #5,344 of 9,047

I don't quite understand what you are trying to do.
DSD512 should work via USB on native drivers, but I don't think it would work via S/PDIF, because that would be DoP not native.

DoP of DSD256 requires 768kHz PCM for encapsulation, so I would have thought that DSD512 would require a S/PDIF output that can support PCM 1536kHz. That would be crazy.
(S/PDIF starts to lose signal integrity above 192kHz. The actual standard caps out at 96kHz).

one thing about this product: it somewhat forces you to learn about different technologies out there and about symetries between each.

Feb 18, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #5,345 of 9,047
My Vega DAC has SPDIF that accepts only native DSD, not DoP DSD over USB, or native DSD over USB.

I thought max was DSD256 over DoP...mention by iFi in this regard upthread confused me. I think I used to understand this more, likely I have forgotten one can do DSD over USB in native with DoP. I was thinking you needed S/PDIF based on my limited experience with the Vega and S/PDIF in general.

thanks!

Feb 19, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #5,346 of 9,047
I've done this with your advice and technical advice from iFi with no results...tried 2 different DAP's. I get great music from the iDSD when I'm listening through it, but nothing when I'm connected to the Raptor.

Is there any chance the Micro just isn't compatible with the Raptor? Very frustrated.

Check if you have the right input selection on the back of Raptor, then check if the is any output from iDSD rca. Lastly, try another rca cable.

Feb 19, 2016 at 1:55 AM Post #5,347 of 9,047
Firmware 5.1 installed fine, on my Windoes 7 PC, no "pops" bertween tracks w/DSD64-DSF, Not certain I can detect a sound quality difference...I use FooBar / Foo_ASIO_DSD. Is there any advantage to using iFi HD USB Audio driver instead?

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #5,349 of 9,047
****, I think I never noticed that the last firmware Strawberry was not for iDSD, I didn't see nano iDSD (wasn't aware there was there product). It was working fine afterwards for weeks, but now solid yellow light and device not detected in Windows any longer (by USB panel). That explains my confusion about enabling DSD256....that was for nano iDSD?! Ugh. How did it let me update the firmware!

Feb 19, 2016 at 3:52 AM Post #5,350 of 9,047
  ****, I think I never noticed that the last firmware Strawberry was not for iDSD, I didn't see nano iDSD (wasn't aware there was there product). It was working fine afterwards for weeks, but now solid yellow light and device not detected in Windows any longer (by USB panel). That explains my confusion about enabling DSD256....that was for nano iDSD?! Ugh. How did it let me update the firmware!

Whew, it's back after re-install and reboot of driver. I still think I have the wrong firmware. Need to double-check, and figure if it is safe to move on to the new one directly.

Feb 19, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #5,352 of 9,047
Don't know what exactly iFi did with the firmware, but somehow detail retrieval and soundstage is much much better!

DSD64 with audirvana. Able to discern subtle background noises like the bassist sighing.

Feb 19, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #5,355 of 9,047

Latest Unified Firmware v5.1 ‘Gelato’ (for Stereo 50 /micro iDSD / micro iDAC2 / nano iDSD)

• All-new XMOS ‘deep-core processes’ software for different behaviour of SPDIF (after XMOS previously modified the USB section).
  • Enables DSD256 for 48kHz based sample rates up-conversion when using DSD256 in DoP mode.
  • Fixed issues surrounding DoP standard; including ‘clicks’ when changing tracks and sonic differences to native DSD and other minor bug fixes.

Don't know what exactly iFi did with the firmware, but somehow detail retrieval and soundstage is much much better!

DSD64 with audirvana. Able to discern subtle background noises like the bassist sighing.

Agreed; it does sound better. Played 2 full albums last night and noticed more details in almost every song! The new XMOS deep-core processes must be unleashing more from the chipset.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back