iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 20, 2016 at 2:41 PM Post #5,373 of 9,047

I've just tried the 5.1B based on your findings, but unfortunately the pop noise on DSD wasn't resolved for me. It behaved the same way as 5.10.

This is with micro iDSD on Windows 10 with the latest JRiver, playing DSF DSD64 files.

I found that ASIO with DoP disabled has the least amount of pop noise, but still quite noticeable compared to 5.0. Going back to 5.0 fixes the pop noise completely regardless of ASIO or DoP.

Hope there is a good fix for this, because some people reported the 5.10 sounds better, but I can't use it because it gives the speakers a big pop.

It sounds different, there seems to be more 'texture/detail' notably in middle-upper part of sound. With my 'desktop' usage Micro iDSD -Lake People headamp -Sennheiser HD800 hp, there is no direct need for this.
Interestingly, with my setup, firmware 5.0 seems to have more 'black/empty' background behind each sound/note and each sound starting point seems to be more clear. Vers. 5.0 seems to to be little more on cooler' side and 'relaxed'.
With very good recordings it is possible to say, that at least acoustical instruments have little (but perceivable) different 'timbre/sound' with firmware 5.0 or 5.1...
I don't know which version is more correct/true to original recordings... With highly detailed/analytical HD800 I prefer 'cooler' version of firmware

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #5,374 of 9,047

It sounds different, there seems to be more 'texture/detail' notably in middle-upper part of sound. With my 'desktop' usage Micro iDSD -Lake People headamp -Sennheiser HD800 hp, there is no direct need for this.
Interestingly, with my setup, firmware 5.0 seems to have more 'black/empty' background behind each sound/note and each sound starting point seems to be more clear. Vers. 5.0 seems to to be little more on cooler' side and 'relaxed'.
With very good recordings it is possible to say, that at least acoustical instruments have little (but perceivable) different 'timbre/sound' with firmware 5.0 or 5.1...
I don't know which version is more correct/true to original recordings... With highly detailed/analytical HD800 I prefer 'cooler' version of firmware

Hmm... I guess I will have to compare the 5.0 and 5.1 quite seriously. I'm always a bit skeptical about the firmware update affecting the sounds (especially on DAPs, a lot of people go over the top about it), but Knowing iFi does a lot of good in-house R&D, it sounds plausible.

Feb 20, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #5,375 of 9,047
I was wondering if anyone has compared the micro iDSD and micro iDAC2 as a fixed line out USB DAC.

This may sound wasteful, but I've been using my micro iDSD often  as a fixed line out DAC for my home amp setup, so I'm thinking about buying the micro iDAC2 just for convenience sake.
That way I can dedicate the micro iDSD for portable use, and have the micro iDAC2 permanently installed as my home USB DAC.

It would motivate me a great deal if there is any indication that micro iDAC2 sounds better than micro iDSD for that purpose.

Feb 21, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #5,379 of 9,047

Hmm... I guess I will have to compare the 5.0 and 5.1 quite seriously. I'm always a bit skeptical about the firmware update affecting the sounds (especially on DAPs, a lot of people go over the top about it), but Knowing iFi does a lot of good in-house R&D, it sounds plausible.

Hello,
those changes are on 'hint' level changes, and not so plainly 'obvious'...
and my 'mother-tongue' is not English, so words/terms used are maybe 'non-standard' or even could be misleading somehow....
For musical example I used
Art Lande track no.5 'Droplets', from 'KISS IN A SHADOW' (piano) [its easier to listen string chords echoes very subtle fading with vers 5.0]
Dayan Kai track no.1 'When you know', from 'SPECIAL EVENT 15 NOVEMBER 2012' (guitar and voice) [5.1 brings little more facture to voice and guitar and just a hint more of voice 'ss-ing' too]
Kare Nordstoga track no.18 'Sandvold. Olgelimprovisata...', from 'THE NORDIC SOUND - 2L audiophile reference recordings' (organ) [easier to feel the start/presence of organ 'notes' with 5.0]

I repeat, some changes are really audibly very subtle or even on 'feeling' level... and somehow I prefer to use Micro iDSD running from battery ('turned on' before connecting with computer) too... .

Feb 22, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #5,380 of 9,047
I am finding with both my Nano and Micro iDSD's that the new FW has increased the texture, it appears to be most noticeable for me on brass instruments and bass notes. I appreciate I might be suffering from expectation bias, but there does seem to be a change in granularity. I am currently listening to Kirsty MacColl's 'Desperate Character' and it sounds fantastic! 

Thank you iFi.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #5,381 of 9,047
  I am finding with both my Nano and Micro iDSD's that the new FW has increased the texture, it appears to be most noticeable for me on brass instruments and bass notes. I appreciate I might be suffering from expectation bias, but there does seem to be a change in granularity. I am currently listening to Kirsty MacColl's 'Desperate Character' and it sounds fantastic! 

Thank you iFi.

There is definitely some magic sauce in this 5.1 release. Appears to me to be more air around sounds and more detail in those sounds and it aint subtle. It's having a massive effect on pulling detail and increasing soundstage on my lossless old 80's CD rips. I feel like I have a new DAC!!!! I do use a dedicated headphone amp so the improvement may be magnified over using the internal amp. I now really can't wait to see what ifi can to with the pro iDSD. I'm saving.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #5,382 of 9,047
I have a few questions, I appreciate any advice.

I own a mojo and use it to drive he500 headphones, it sounds great with them but there's a slight dip in sub bass frequencies, would the ifi micro be more suitable and provide the same level of detail? has anybody tried both with he500s?

Also I have a titanium hd sound card in my pc, how can I route the titanium hd to the ifi for cmss3d effects, is this possible?

Would I be able to connect my active speakers to the ifi and bypass the in built amp?

Thanks

Feb 23, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #5,383 of 9,047
Can somebody please help me.

I've just received my Ifi idsd micro and for some reason the 3.5mm output isn't working. The 1/4 output is working fine but when I use the 3.5mm output nothing is happening.

Am I missing something?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back