iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 12, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #5,266 of 9,047

You are welcome. I'm sorry that my avatar disrupts your eyes. This is a tribute to Colonel Sanders for making the greatest fried chicken ever.
tongue.gif

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #5,267 of 9,047
no don't misunderstand me...i was laughing at it...found it humourous, that is all...i don't know why people choose their avatars
...but know i know yours....mine is a dead giveaway for my love of Rush.

as per colonel sanders let me share something:
when i was much younger (early 20s) and into long distance running i'd often, on a wkend night before a long distance run the next morning, grab this  to wolf down (and we're talking at 10-11pm):
2 very large slices of my fav pizza, a kfc dinner (extra chicken gravy w the extra fries please!!)
and then wash it all down with 2-3 nut brown ales.
the dinner of champions!

the next morning i was out running my mates as if on high octane....don't know if my body was just primed with all that sodium, fat and carbs...or was trying to purge it from my body...but i was kicking butt. 
beerchug.gif

Quote:

You are welcome. I'm sorry that my avatar disrupts your eyes. This is a tribute to Colonel Sanders for making the greatest fried chicken ever.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #5,268 of 9,047

What a story you got there. Maybe I will try that before I'm running 10 km (if I ever do it).
tongue.gif

I like Rush but didn't really digging into their new stuff. Moving Pictures is the one of their greatest album.

Actually my avatar is more towards this freaking weird guy (Buckethead). He can finger that guitar like no body else. Girls will awe with his fingering skill.
tongue.gif

Feb 13, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #5,269 of 9,047
  What a story you got there. Maybe I will try that before I'm running 10 km (if I ever do it).
tongue.gif

I like Rush but didn't really digging into their new stuff. Moving Pictures is the one of their greatest album.

Actually my avatar is more towards this freaking weird guy (Buckethead). He can finger that guitar like no body else. Girls will awe with his fingering skill.
tongue.gif

Rush started to remaster their 'badly compressed' recordings, they admit to have made those popular 'overcompression mistakes' before...
good for all

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:03 AM Post #5,270 of 9,047
guys...has anyone compared the new ican micro se vs the micro idsd
i did try a search but found nothing.

Here's what I had to say at 400 hours...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/654405/ican-amp-review-a-new-amp-that-gives-you-more-more-bass-more-soundstage-and-more-detail/480#post_12317897

More complimentary than what I had to say at 200 hours and 300 hours.

The iCAN SE now has 550 hours on the clock and I will be having another comparison session later on.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #5,271 of 9,047
Well I charged my iPhone 5s to 100% tried every possible combination and still says power is to much. It has to be something with the phone, as I just plug it in and it says that. I did try something else where i plugged the Apple MFI into a Zeskit usb to fire and then into the phone and the phone was fine with that. Ive read online that some had to buy a USB hub for it to work so there has to be some alternatives.

Feb 13, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #5,272 of 9,047
Hello, first time poster, not an audiophile, been lurking this forum for a few years. Finally decided to make a user here because I can't decide for myself and I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm looking for an amp and a dac. I live in Sweden and the audio market feels abit... Small. But my local stores atleast got iFi, and iFi caught my interest becasue muh bass boost. I'm the worst EQer in the world and I can't for my life make things sound better with it, but I have used the fiio e12 and I enjoyed the bass boost on there so, well thats all there is to say about that.

Desktop use, portabillity is NOT important.
Source: PC, Spotify premium and FLAC as of this moment.
Main Genres: Metalcore and underground hip hop majority of times, but also classical and orchestral music from time to time.
Headphones: x2, M-100, HD-650, z7, TH-X00.

I guess I like bass alot when it comes to my main genres. Not sure if I qualify as a bass head but, yeah.

So, for my question:

Would iFi micro iCAN SE + iDAC2 be a better option (both for my NEEDS and for SQ) than the micro iDSD only? money no object, portabillity no object? Or would you guys steer me in another direction?

If I missed something, please let me know.
If this sort of "spoonfeed me pls" is unethical, please let me know.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #5,273 of 9,047
... Would iFi micro iCAN SE + iDAC2 be a better option (both for my NEEDS and for SQ) than the micro iDSD only? money no object, portabillity no object? Or would you guys steer me in another direction?

Micro iCAN SE + iDAC2 would be my choice if I am in your shoe. The major factor for me is that, while micro iDSD is no sloth on its headphone-out, it can't beat the micro iCAN SE.

Feb 13, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #5,275 of 9,047
  Hello, first time poster, not an audiophile, been lurking this forum for a few years. Finally decided to make a user here because I can't decide for myself and I'm looking for recommendations.

I'm looking for an amp and a dac. I live in Sweden and the audio market feels abit... Small. But my local stores atleast got iFi, and iFi caught my interest becasue muh bass boost. I'm the worst EQer in the world and I can't for my life make things sound better with it, but I have used the fiio e12 and I enjoyed the bass boost on there so, well thats all there is to say about that.

Main Genres: Metalcore and underground hip hop majority of times, but also classical and orchestral music from time to time.

I guess I like bass alot when it comes to my main genres. Not sure if I qualify as a bass head but, yeah.

So, for my question:

Would iFi micro iCAN SE + iDAC2 be a better option (both for my NEEDS and for SQ) than the micro iDSD only? money no object, portabillity no object? Or would you guys steer me in another direction?

I personally went with the iDSD with iCAN SE over the iDAC or IDAC2 with iCAN SE. I did this because the iDSD (At least on paper) should beat the iDAC and iDAC2 in terms of SQ when using any of these units as just a DAC. The iDSD comes with 2 burr brown chips while the iDAC and iDAC2 only comes with one.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #5,276 of 9,047

So, for my question:

If money is not so important (and portability too), then no question, from iFi: iCAN Pro (coming just now!) and iDAC Pro (in june-july)!

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #5,277 of 9,047
Which version of iOS are you using? I don't remember when it changed but for a few versions it didn't work very well with that error popping up. I use my iDSD Micro with an Apple 6 Plus with the latest iOS 9.2.1 and it works great. Doesn't matter what is plugged in or turned on first.  

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #5,278 of 9,047

tongue.gif

I thought it might be an oblique clue that you were a big fan of the band Southern Culture on the Skids. Whose portfolio includes several odes to fried chicken. Fried chicken also used to be a prominent part of their road show, and possibly still is. (For those seeking an intro, their best album is "Dirt Track Date.")

Feb 13, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #5,279 of 9,047
Thank you all so much for the support guys!

Micro iCAN SE + iDAC2 would be my choice if I am in your shoe. The major factor for me is that, while micro iDSD is no sloth on its headphone-out, it can't beat the micro iCAN SE.

Yeah that's what I thought aswell from reading through this and other threads on the matter, I even think iFi themselves implied that aswell somewhere here.

I personally went with the iDSD with iCAN SE over the iDAC or IDAC2 with iCAN SE. I did this because the iDSD (At least on paper) should beat the iDAC and iDAC2 in terms of SQ when using any of these units as just a DAC. The iDSD comes with 2 burr brown chips while the iDAC and iDAC2 only comes with one.

Overkill! But yeah I see your though process and that's exactly the reason I wanted your guys input on it. How do you like that setup anyway? :)

If money is not so important (and portability too), then no question, from iFi: iCAN Pro (coming just now!) and iDAC Pro (in june-july)!

As in, the price difference between the micro iCAN SE + iDAC2 stack contra just the iDSD :p
But yeah sure, is there any price figures out on the Pro series yet? How is the bass boost on it compared to the micro iCAN SE? (I know its silly, but I really like bass boost) :frowning2:

While we're on the subject (kinda) of bass boost, anyone know how many dB and at what Hz the 2 bass boost steps work on the micro iCAN SE? I've tried to find some info about it but, I just can't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back