iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 4, 2015 at 6:48 AM Post #4,921 of 9,047
  its really strange why the sony z5 premium does not work with the ifi dsd micro, does any one own the sony z5 premium and can test if it works with ifi micro dsd

Hi,

Check this list by Extreme Audio, the people behind UAPP.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

They keep a dynamic database of Android devices that are able/not able to output a digital signal. (Hence, the micro iDSD or whatever DAC so long as it is USB Audio Class 2.0, is almost irrelevant).

In terms of phones, we have the Z Ultra, Z2 and Z3
and
in terms of tablets, we have Z, Z2, and Z4 tablets

WIth an OTG cable, all of these devices output digital audio perfectly well.

Given Sony's track record, the Z5 should output digital audio fine. You may have to re-check your settings.It should be pretty much plug and play.

Cheers.
cool.gif

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 4, 2015 at 6:58 AM Post #4,922 of 9,047
  its really strange why the sony z5 premium does not work with the ifi dsd micro, does any one own the sony z5 premium and can test if it works with ifi micro dsd

Don't know why but newer Sony firmware disable auto USB detection. So if you haven't done so, you will need to manually detect USB device from either setting or the notification area.

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #4,923 of 9,047

Don't know why but newer Sony firmware disable auto USB detection. So if you haven't done so, you will need to manually detect USB device from either setting or the notification area.

how do i do that, as nothing appear once i connect the sony z5premium to my ifi dsd at, and in the setting i do not see anything that can help

can you tell me where is this setting in the phone

i tried the ifi with my note 3 and works without a problem

Dec 4, 2015 at 7:42 AM Post #4,924 of 9,047

Hi,

Check this list by Extreme Audio, the people behind UAPP.

http://www.extreamsd.com/index.php/2015-07-22-12-01-14/usb-audio-driver

They keep a dynamic database of Android devices that are able/not able to output a digital signal. (Hence, the micro iDSD or whatever DAC so long as it is USB Audio Class 2.0, is almost irrelevant).

In terms of phones, we have the Z Ultra, Z2 and Z3
and
in terms of tablets, we have Z, Z2, and Z4 tablets

WIth an OTG cable, all of these devices output digital audio perfectly well.

Given Sony's track record, the Z5 should output digital audio fine. You may have to re-check your settings.It should be pretty much plug and play.

Cheers.
cool.gif

what settings nothing seems out of normal , can you tell me what settings you mean, i tried all players including uapp

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:13 AM Post #4,925 of 9,047
  how do i do that, as nothing appear once i connect the sony z5premium to my ifi dsd at, and in the setting i do not see anything that can help

can you tell me where is this setting in the phone

i tried the ifi with my note 3 and works without a problem

Setting > Xperia Connectivity > USB Connectivity > Detect USB device

Alternatively, pull your notification bar all the way down, there should be an icon showing a pen on a few dots, click on it - that should allow you to select what button to show in your 'Quick' setting, find 'Detect USB device', hold it down so it will be added to the notification bar.

Dec 4, 2015 at 8:26 AM Post #4,926 of 9,047

Setting > Xperia Connectivity > USB Connectivity > Detect USB device

Alternatively, pull your notification bar all the way down, there should be an icon showing a pen on a few dots, click on it - that should allow you to select what button to show in your 'Quick' setting, find 'Detect USB device', hold it down so it will be added to the notification bar.

thanks so much worked now

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #4,927 of 9,047
What's the best way to use the Micro as a desktop AMP/DAC? I'm using it on Turbo and I think I'm draining the battery faster than USB 3.0 can charge it (900mW is the max a USB 3 port can do, right?).

I tried an Android OTG cable (so I could pull power from the wall rather than the USB 3 port)  along with a "Fast Charging" wall wart but I think it still isn't getting enough current through (the OTG cable much thinner than the Micro's and I can't find any thicker). The Micro died while using it as well.

I'm using the blue USB cable that came with the Micro just FYI.

Dec 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #4,928 of 9,047
  What's the best way to use the Micro as a desktop AMP/DAC? I'm using it on Turbo and I think I'm draining the battery faster than USB 3.0 can charge it (900mW is the max a USB 3 port can do, right?).

I tried an Android OTG cable (so I could pull power from the wall rather than the USB 3 port)  along with a "Fast Charging" wall wart but I think it still isn't getting enough current through (the OTG cable much thinner than the Micro's and I can't find any thicker). The Micro died while using it as well.

I'm using the blue USB cable that came with the Micro just FYI.

Really depends on what your USB3.0 spec is. If it is BC1.2 compliant, it should be able to do 5V x 1.5A = 7.5W and that should be enough to power iDSD in turbo mode.

Dec 4, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #4,929 of 9,047
With apologies if this is self-evident or answered elsewhere: Is there any mechansism or adapter one can use to obtain balanced headphone output from the iDSD?

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #4,931 of 9,047
With apologies if this is self-evident or answered elsewhere: Is there any mechansism or adapter one can use to obtain balanced headphone output from the iDSD?

No.

There is no way to convert a single-ended headphone output to balanced using an adaptor. You will need to buy a balanced amp.

Dec 4, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #4,932 of 9,047
No.

There is no way to convert a single-ended headphone output to balanced using an adaptor. You will need to buy a balanced amp.

Suspected as much, thanks for confirming.

Dec 4, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #4,933 of 9,047

Really depends on what your USB3.0 spec is. If it is BC1.2 compliant, it should be able to do 5V x 1.5A = 7.5W and that should be enough to power iDSD in turbo mode.

Something just isn't right.

I left it plugged in (unit off) until the blue LED went out (which didn't take long) and after using it a few more hours it cut itself off (I didn't see the LED but I'm assuming it blinked Red for a while before doing so). Turning it off and disconnecting/reconnecting it then showed a Blue/Red blinking LED (Battery Critical). Then after a couple minutes it went off. Now if I disconnect/reconnect it I get a Blue LED for a moment and then it turns off (Battery Full).

So it's turning off as if the battery is dead but then moments later it realizes it's actually still full (this is all using the supplied USB cable, both in a PC and a wall charger). Problem is the manual says it charges to 100% when off but hovers at 80% when on. So (ignoring the fact it blinks Red for a moment) if I go from using it (should be @ 80% normally) to charging it with it off, it should take a while to reach 100%, right? Meaning I shouldn't be able to go from Red/Blue (Critical) to Blue (Charging) to Off (Not Charging) in minutes?

I installed the driver from the website and it has the v5 (Vanilla) firmware on it (came with it, didn't have to flash).

Is there something wrong with the battery or could I just be misusing it somehow (12 o'clock on Turbo, Bit Perfect, IEMatch Off, -25dB Preamp plus other EQ with EQ APO/Peace GUI)? Can this thing overheat (it doesn't feel that warm)?

Dec 5, 2015 at 12:55 AM Post #4,934 of 9,047

Is there something wrong with the battery or could I just be misusing it somehow (12 o'clock on Turbo, Bit Perfect, IEMatch Off, -25dB Preamp plus other EQ with EQ APO/Peace GUI)? Can this thing overheat (it doesn't feel that warm)?

I can't tell from your comments if you are aware of the "special nuances" of the Micro iDSD's on/off switch. So just in case:

* if, when the Micro iDSD is turned on, the USB cable is connected to a power source, then the Micro iDSD will operate in "recharge while running mode." (Which in Turbo still runs at a power deficit, as I understand. But in non-Turbo, it will recharge the internal battery, albeit more slowly than if the amp was not running.)

* if, when the Micro iDSD is turned on, the USB cable is NOT connected to a power source, then the Micro iDSD understands that you want it to run in what I will call "pure battery mode" ... and will not recharge. *** It will remain in pure battery mode even if you later plug the far end of the USB cable in a powered-up USB socket. *** To start the re-charging again, you have to turn the Micro iDSD off and on again. 

Apologies if you already knew this. 

Dec 5, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #4,935 of 9,047
Yeah I'm plugging it in before turning it on. I'm also leaving it on (I don't turn it off when I walk away). Maybe leaving it on 24/7 while in Turbo just doesn't work (although I'm still not sure if that's the issue since it seems to "charge" in just minutes after shutting down)? Off to do more testing...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back