iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Sep 3, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #4,486 of 9,047

The Micro really is the most versatile DAC out there right now.

Do you know if or how changing filters (Standard, Min Phase, etc.) affect the D-S and/or R2R sections of the Micro?

PCM filters apply directly to the digital signal before it goes into the R-2R + Delta-Sigma, while DSD filters apply to the analog sound after the Delta-Sigma. So they don't act directly to the D/A section but more like pre-/post conditioning.

Sep 4, 2015 at 6:26 AM Post #4,487 of 9,047
Hello! I have purchased the micro idsd at least! I am very excited and happy about this device and I can't wait for the 24 hours first charging to end!  I am a little bit confused about the charging otpions though and I could use some help with this.

I know that when I power the devide before connecting it to the computer then it runs on battery mode instead of getting the power from the usb bus. Now because I want to use this mostly as a desktop amp/dac,I would like to know if the amp and the dac section allways run from the battery (battery power has its bennefits) when using battery mode? What I want is to have it allways running from battery mode and charging from my usb all the time.

Is this going to harm the battery's life? Is there an optimum way to use the battery mode for a desktop use?

When in usb power mode does it complete bypassed the batter and feeding the amp/dac directly from the usb bus? Is this preffered for better batter life?

And at last I would like to know if there is a problem that my computer has usb 2.0 ports and the idsd cable is usb 3.0.

Thanks for your help in advance! Cheers

Sep 4, 2015 at 8:09 AM Post #4,488 of 9,047

On the previous firmware the battery would top off to optimum 80% if the Micro was always getting power from usb. It was designed that way to help extend long-term battery life. Not sure if version 5.0 changes that 80%.

Doesn't matter, usb 2.0 or 3.0 will work. I think iFi included a 3.0 cable due to it being better/higher spec than a 2.0 cable.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,490 of 9,047
So how can I use the battery mode while alleays connected to the pc via usb?

Turn the Micro on before connecting the usb cable and/or turn the Micro on before powering up the PC..

If your usb ports supply power even when the computer is off, you may need to unplug the usb cable, turn on the Micro, then reconnect the usb to run in battery mode.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #4,491 of 9,047
And if i do that will the micro keep charging from the usb while playing from battery mode or it will play untill the battery is out?

Can you also suggest wich power mode is prefferable for longer battery life?

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #4,492 of 9,047

The DAC chip used in micro iDSD is a Delta-Sigma + R-2R hybrid. In DSD decoding, it uses only the Delta-Sigma section of the DAC. In PCM decoding, it uses the 8bit R-2R section first, then finish up the rest with Delta-Sigma.

Hi. Can you please elaborate on this concept on the R2R section, is it like a class A/B amp that leaves class A after a certain Watt?
Thanks.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #4,493 of 9,047

Hi. Can you please elaborate on this concept on the R2R section, is it like a class A/B amp that leaves class A after a certain Watt?
Thanks.

No, it doesn't work like that. The first 8 bit is converted to analog signal (voltage) by the R-2R, then the rest goes to D-S and converted to analog signal, then the result is summed together.

Sep 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #4,494 of 9,047
And if i do that will the micro keep charging from the usb while playing from battery mode or it will play untill the battery is out?

Can you also suggest wich power mode is prefferable for longer battery life?

Check the light on your Micro. If it starts to blink then standby is active and it should charge as well (unless your on firmware 5.0b). However, if running in battery mode, it may not charge at the same time.

Eco=longer batt life
Turbo=shorter batt life

Sep 4, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #4,495 of 9,047
After 2 weeks of using this thing (with 24/7 burn-in in effect), I have to say it's a VERY impressive piece of kit. It's also ridiculous how much I've been using the 3D Holographic feature. I thought I wouldn't touch it since I've really disliked all previous implementations of crossfeed that I've sampled—from hardware to software implementations like FHX. For certain live recordings, it really does give a sense of "there". Hats off to iFi for building such a great value! Still shaking my head in disbelief. :D

Sep 4, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #4,496 of 9,047
So I have two question.

a. I'm not sure what firmware my Micro is at - I have not flashed it to the 5.0x version yet. How can I tell my revision.
b When listening to a DSD album via USB Player Pro, I'm hearing a slight tick at the start of each track, is this a known issue and can I expect the 5.0x firmware to resolve it?

Thanks for all your help !!

Sep 4, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #4,497 of 9,047
  After 2 weeks of using this thing (with 24/7 burn-in in effect), I have to say it's a VERY impressive piece of kit. It's also ridiculous how much I've been using the 3D Holographic feature. I thought I wouldn't touch it since I've really disliked all previous implementations of crossfeed that I've sampled—from hardware to software implementations like FHX. For certain live recordings, it really does give a sense of "there". Hats off to iFi for building such a great value! Still shaking my head in disbelief. :D

Hi,

A few reasons for this:

1) 3D Holographic is Analogue Signal Processing (ie: not Digital Signal Processing).

2) It is just crossfeed, one has to have an interest in psycho acoustics to truly recreate the aural sensation of speakers when using headphones.

Cheers.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 4, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #4,498 of 9,047

Hi,

A few reasons for this:

1) 3D Holographic is Analogue Signal Processing (ie: not Digital Signal Processing).

2) It is just crossfeed, one has to have an interest in psycho acoustics to truly recreate the aural sensation of speakers when using headphones.

Cheers.

Huh, that's interesting. I have crossfeed in my other gear and in various software players and it doesn't sound quite like this. Must be in your implementation. Nice job nonetheless. 
beyersmile.png

Sep 5, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #4,499 of 9,047
  Hello! I have purchased the micro idsd at least! I am very excited and happy about this device and I can't wait for the 24 hours first charging to end!  I am a little bit confused about the charging otpions though and I could use some help with this.

I know that when I power the devide before connecting it to the computer then it runs on battery mode instead of getting the power from the usb bus. Now because I want to use this mostly as a desktop amp/dac,I would like to know if the amp and the dac section allways run from the battery (battery power has its bennefits) when using battery mode? What I want is to have it allways running from battery mode and charging from my usb all the time.

What are the benefits of battery power rather than USB in IDSD. I know the micro has a circuit to eliminate noise similar to the stand alone iPurifier.

Sep 5, 2015 at 7:14 AM Post #4,500 of 9,047
a. I'm not sure what firmware my Micro is at - I have not flashed it to the 5.0x version yet. How can I tell my revision.

Run the firmware updater:

C:\Program Files\iFi\USB_HD_Audio_Driver\iFiHDUSBAudio_dfuapp.exe

This will report the current firmware.

b When listening to a DSD album via USB Player Pro, I'm hearing a slight tick at the start of each track, is this a known issue and can I expect the 5.0x firmware to resolve it?

Yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back