iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 27, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #4,456 of 9,047
Read section 11 of this manual. The labeling on the micro is for PCM. Using the chart you can correlate the corresponding DSD selection.
http://ifi-audio.com/wp-content/uploads/data/manual/micro%20iDSD%20Manual.pdf

Aug 27, 2015 at 5:56 PM Post #4,459 of 9,047
  So depending on the input source, you have to mentally change the nomenclature of the switch positions?

Yes, and even worse:  Bit-Perfect is the best setting for PCM, while Standard (i.e., the other end of the switch position) is recommended for DSD.  For those of us who'd like to use it in our main system, either have to "settle" for the best PCM setting but worst DSD setting, or vice versa :frowning2:

Aug 27, 2015 at 6:04 PM Post #4,460 of 9,047

Yes, and even worse:  Bit-Perfect is the best setting for PCM, while Standard (i.e., the other end of the switch position) is recommended for DSD.  For those of us who'd like to use it in our main system, either have to "settle" for the best PCM setting but worst DSD setting, or vice versa :frowning2:

For me I would not use Bit-Perfect but minimum phase works best for PCM. There are users that can hear some noise on Bit-Perfect. What works for DSD best can also vary depending if you using 1xDSD 2xDSD or higher. You get to choose what will work best for you without anyone telling you what best.

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:00 PM Post #4,461 of 9,047
the led color, anyone find some information about it?

green

blue

white

amber

Aug 28, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #4,462 of 9,047
  yes as your ears your guide. You are switching from digital filters to analog filters for DSD.

Thanks guys.. I wish the documentation explained it so clearly.

All these options are overwhelming to the newbie - especially when references are made to settings I don't see..

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4,464 of 9,047
I'm enjoying the iFi Micro iDSD, it's amazing how much high-end technology they've packed into such a small package and for a reasonable price (made in China).
I use the Micro iDSD exclusively on the desktop plugged into a Mac Mini, so I never have use for the power charging port on the side of the unit:
http://www.technoheadphone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/IMG_4061.jpg
iFi bundles lots of accessories with the Micro iDSD but one thing I wish they had also provided was a dust cover/cap for the power charging port to keep dust and debris out, maybe something like this:
http://www.rookaps.com/images/klugs.jpg
Seems like it would be especially useful if you do use the unit as a portable when you are out and about.
Overall a great product.

Aug 28, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #4,465 of 9,047
  Hi All,

I just bought my iDSD micro and am getting the hang of it; but I do have a question....

In the manual, referring to the Digital filter, iFi says: "For DSD, select Extreme/Extended/Standard to find the one that sounds best for listening" but I only see  "Bit-Perfect - Minimum Phase -  Standard" settings. So I'm not sure what Extreme or Extended is referring to.

Can someone clarify this?

Extreme/Extended/Standard are the analog DSD filters that tells the Micro what frequency  to start the filtering out the High frequency noise that is part of all DSD files. The standard DSD filter will start sooner at a lower frequency which might be good for 64DSD files. If you have 128 or higher DSD files you can try the extended or Extreme, less sharp curve, if you can hear a difference. If you can not hear a difference it may be safer just to leave it at standard for DSD files so that less high frequency noise will slip thru. That is my simple explanation.  

Aug 28, 2015 at 4:18 PM Post #4,466 of 9,047
Is there a iFi DAC only equivalent of this?
I just don't need the amp function of the Micro iDSD & feel like I wasted extra money by having it.

I also haven't used the DSD/DXD features at all. There just doesn't seem to be enough available content for them & the process to get it to work seems like an awful lot to go through.

I remember people saying the iDAC was inferior to the Micro iDSD in terms of DAC performance.
This does have two Burr-Brown DAC chips inside, that's what makes it better right &  the top of the line DAC performance compared to other more expensive competitors?

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #4,468 of 9,047
  the led color, anyone find some information about it?

green

blue

white

amber

You reviewed it (iDSD) - how is it that you do not have that information with your equipment?

Aug 28, 2015 at 6:40 PM Post #4,469 of 9,047
  Extreme/Extended/Standard are the analog DSD filters that tells the Micro what frequency  to start the filtering out the High frequency noise that is part of all DSD files. The standard DSD filter will start sooner at a lower frequency which might be good for 64DSD files. If you have 128 or higher DSD files you can try the extended or Extreme, less sharp curve, if you can hear a difference. If you can not hear a difference it may be safer just to leave it at standard for DSD files so that less high frequency noise will slip thru. That is my simple explanation.  

This would be handy to memorize... thanks :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back