iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 26, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #4,441 of 9,047

So I connect a Teradak Power Supply to the wall & plug a usb cable from it to the USB Regen (which also has a power adapter connected to a wall plug) & another USB cable from it to the Micro iFi?

also isn't the AudioQuest Jitterbug just another version of the iFi iPurifier, which is supposed to already be inside the Micro iDSD?

Confusing isn't it?

Only way to know for yourself if or how much better it all sounds is by hooking them all up at the same time then swap/remove/shift things around.

Might actually be fun if all those pieces (just for USB) didn't cost $350.........

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #4,442 of 9,047
Connect the usb output cable to the Regen and the Regen to the idsd.

The Teradak has a 2.5 mm barrel connector that connects power to the Regen. The Regen removes the input usb power from the pc and will supply its own  power to the idsd via the usb cable. That is why a good supply on the Regen makes so much difference. 

Here is the PPA usb cable  http://www.highend-audiopc.com/shop/en/usb-cables/paul-pang-audio-tz-yun-red-usb-cable

If you are aiming for better SQ, cables and clean power are essential. It is a personal decision if it is worth it..........it is not cheap.

Aug 26, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #4,445 of 9,047
If I was on a budget and had to choose the most cost effective upgrade to my usb line, I would add the $49 Jitterbug. No additional cabling, no power supply...easy.

That being said, the Regen is the most effective upgrade and it is $175. It is well worth the cost.

Aug 26, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #4,447 of 9,047
My PC has a 'SPDIF Out' slot in the back & my TV has a 'Digital Audio Out (Optical)' slot.

Do I even need to use the USB cable or even the iUSB clean power supply for my Mico iDSD?

I never used those slots before because I never had equipment that had optical in/out.
I literally don't know how to use them & don't even know what cables I would need to buy to utilize them.

My PC

My TV

I remember reading somewhere that those slots have no interference/noise & offer a better sound quality than USB.

How would I hook my Micro iDSD to my PC with them?

Aug 26, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #4,448 of 9,047

The Micro's usb port only works to charge it and to use it as a PC sound card. So hooking that up to your TV won't do anything.

Not sure why you'd wanna connect the Micro to your tv buy you'll need a toslink to mini optical cable like this (or use a regular spdif cable with the Micro's included adapter on 1 end):
http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-THINTOSMIN6-Toslink-Digital-Optical/dp/B00016W6Y6/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1440619014&sr=1-7&keywords=toslink+to+mini+optical+cable&pebp=1440619045551&perid=1YT0BS85Q8FJDBR17PB

Just remember the Micro can't decoce Dolby or DTS that might come out of some tvs. Make sure the tv is set to PCM.

Aug 26, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #4,449 of 9,047

The Micro's usb port only works to charge it and to use it as a PC sound card. So hooking that up to your TV won't do anything.

Not sure why you'd wanna connect the Micro to your tv

Can't I use the Mico's amp if I connect it?

I just won't be able to use the DAC right?
There is a USB port on my TV though, will I be able to use the DAC portion then or is it useless other than anything but a PC/MAC/iPhone/Android?

Aug 27, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #4,450 of 9,047
Can't I use the Mico's amp if I connect it?

I just won't be able to use the DAC right?

There is a USB port on my TV though, will I be able to use the DAC portion then or is it useless other than anything but a PC/MAC/iPhone/Android?

You can use the micro as dac and amp when connecting it via optical. The adapter from standard optical spdif to 3.5mm optical is in the micro's package. Switch the TV to output PCM.

The micro needs power once it's battery has run down, so you need a USB power source, unless you want to use the micro solely from battery.

The USB port on your tv is to access media files, not to output information, so you are out of luck there (most likely).

What puzzles me though is why you don't man up, read the manual, read up on some basic digital audio (all available for free in this very forum) and try things out instead of posting your whinging/passive aggressive questions in the impressions, reviews and comments thread. We are a very helpful bunch but I think you are overdoing it a bit. :wink:

The manual will tell you that you can use (far from useless) the amp of the micro with any analog sound source you can connect to its front 3.5mm input.

The ifi iDSD micro is one of the most versatile and high quality audio products I have seen and heard. It's like the Swiss Army knife of digital audio.

Cheers,
K

Edit: added the smiley so it's not misunderstood. :D

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:07 AM Post #4,451 of 9,047
You can use the micro as dac and amp when connecting it via optical. The adapter from standard optical spdif to 3.5mm optical is in the micro's package. Switch the TV to output PCM.

The micro needs power once it's battery has run down, so you need a USB power source, unless you want to use the micro solely from battery.

The USB port on your tv is to access media files, not to output information, so you are out of luck there (most likely).

What puzzles me though is why you don't man up, read the manual, read up on some basic digital audio (all available for free in this very forum) and try things out instead of posting your whinging/passive aggressive questions in the impressions, reviews and comments thread. We are a very helpful bunch but I think you are overdoing it a bit.
wink.gif

The manual will tell you that you can use (far from useless) the amp of the micro with any analog sound source you can connect to its front 3.5mm input.

The ifi iDSD micro is one of the most versatile and high quality audio products I have seen and heard. It's like the Swiss Army knife of digital audio.

Cheers,
K

Edit: added the smiley so it's not misunderstood.
biggrin.gif

That would have been easier, but my Micro iDSD didn't come with a manual or the optical cable.

Aug 27, 2015 at 2:41 AM Post #4,452 of 9,047
Aug 27, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #4,453 of 9,047

That would have been easier, but my Micro iDSD didn't come with a manual or the optical cable.

Of course not, why would they ship you every cable with every adapter under the sun? They supply more than the usual amount of cables and adapters, more than any device I know. You can use any optical cable - it's standard. The manual is available for free on their website as it's printed on the quick start guide that is included. 
confused_face_2.gif

SMH 

Aug 27, 2015 at 7:54 AM Post #4,454 of 9,047

Of course not, why would they ship you every cable with every adapter under the sun? They supply more than the usual amount of cables and adapters, more than any device I know. You can use any optical cable - it's standard. The manual is available for free on their website as it's printed on the quick start guide that is included. 
confused_face_2.gif

SMH 

@Thenewguy007:  People here are very helpful, but you've obviously baffled many of us with your lack of initiative and as @Koolpep put it so well, your "whinging/passive aggressive questions"
tongue_smile.gif

Here's how I would have handled it if I were you:

• You have these digital outputs on your PC and TV. Dig out the user's manuals and see what they say about using them.
  • The micro iDSD's user's manual, at the very beginning, says this:
  • Your micro iDSD comes with the Toslink Mini-Plug to Toslink adapter. This photo is from ClieOS's very informative review that I pointed out to you in this post answering an earlier question of yours. The adapter is circled in red.
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/728236/ifi-idsd-micro-dsd512-pcm768-dac-and-headphone-amp-impressions-reviews-and-comments/4365#post_11849348
  • Armed with this information, you may not yet know what a Toslink cable is. Google is your friend.
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Toslink+cable

If, after doing all this, you're still not sure what to do, then by all means post a question.
regular_smile .gif

Aug 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #4,455 of 9,047
Hi All,

I just bought my iDSD micro and am getting the hang of it; but I do have a question....

In the manual, referring to the Digital filter, iFi says: "For DSD, select Extreme/Extended/Standard to find the one that sounds best for listening" but I only see  "Bit-Perfect - Minimum Phase -  Standard" settings. So I'm not sure what Extreme or Extended is referring to.

Can someone clarify this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back