iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 23, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #3,541 of 9,047
It's a shame you didn't realize when you had the cable made.
Tell me about it! So it's either buy an adapter from him or send the cables back and pay him to switch out the USB connectors. That is if he will even say yes.

Nevertheless, I used the Micro the other night by plugging the stock cable into my computer. I was like "damn this is loud"! Loud and crisp, the way I like my music.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:54 AM Post #3,542 of 9,047
I had one made by Forza Audio works that I am very happy with. I paid 59 euros. Here is a picture. I believe it helped Sq some....added depth.

I was very unhappy about ifi's choice of usb input connector. I had bought a gemini cable and did not like the idea of inputting through a very generic adapter. If you want one, you can email Matthew, he'll know what you need.  matthew@forzaaudioworks.com

I just paid for my cable yesterday, USB A Female to Micro, Copper, Nylon sleeve, 5cm and it came to €59.
Obviously you wanted to use your Gemini cable, but if some people are weighing up getting an adaptor made up or not for use with a mobile device, it might just be worth getting an entirely neW cable.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:42 AM Post #3,543 of 9,047
  In my endless search for better audio, I came across a very excellent free player: Bug Head Emperor. I have HQPlayer which is great and an upsampling monster, but BHE may be better.

The developer is an independent self taught, eccentric Japanese guy who must be a genius. The manual is mostly Japanese, but if you got some smarts you can figure it out. He recently added dsd support, even Dop. I don't know what he does, but he's got some magic. I like everything played in native format and sample rate.

Here is a download link for those interested:
Bug head Emperor 4.70 
Note: If you use Dop, the volume control must be set to max to work.

Enjoy

I tried this software this morning, and damn. It kicked my gear to a new level. Bigger soundstage, better clarity, detail and better bass. 
I set at 2GB/2GB/4GB/4GB at run. Can you tell me how to configure this to a better sound ?
And I can see there are Bug emperor and Infinity Blade. Are they different ?

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:31 AM Post #3,544 of 9,047
  I tried this software this morning, and damn. It kicked my gear to a new level. Bigger soundstage, better clarity, detail and better bass. 
I set at 2GB/2GB/4GB/4GB at run. Can you tell me how to configure this to a better sound ?
And I can see there are Bug emperor and Infinity Blade. Are they different ?

Yes, glad you tried it. There is a thread already started. Let's revive it. I don't want hijack the micro thread.
I'll give you an answer here:
Bug head emperor player - audiophile player from Japan

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #3,545 of 9,047
Got a custom coax interconnect for my DX50 for the micro iDSD today:

10 times better than the iBasso stock cable.

Apr 24, 2015 at 8:15 AM Post #3,547 of 9,047
Got it from an German custom cable maker (Outstanding ear), this is the first version, this special build only for my request. But really great high quality work.

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #3,548 of 9,047
I tried installing the BHE yesterday and did not enjoy it that much. It sounded good but the whole interface is weird and totally confusing even for me with years of computer programming experience. Maybe it just needs some good documentation in English to understand how to set it up. It has some filtering options which affect the sound quality, but lacks streaming which is a big show stopper for me. For my music playing preferences - I am seriously up to using my Subsonic web client streaming the playlists to external Foobar player that plays MP3 (converted to DSD or as-is), Subsonic can also convert FLAC/WAV files to MP3 or play them as is via Foobar and have great interface overall, I used it for years.

What I am not sure is why the BHE could be superior to Foobar if both BHE or Foobar can play MP3 or other files in ASIO mode (which is bit-accurate for DAC and bypasses the Windows kernel system). It is the encoding MP3 algorithm which is important to convert PCM uncompressed to MP3 but when decoding those files to PCM - pretty much every player sounds the same, I cannot detect any quality differences between Foobar or WinAmp playing the same MP3 track. If the BHE uses special filters to make the music sound 'better', then it is a different case, we are talking processed sound compared to accurate unmodified reproduction. But I could be wrong here, because there is not much documentation on that player, all the videos I found on YouTube was in Japanese.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #3,549 of 9,047
I just paid for my cable yesterday, USB A Female to Micro, Copper, Nylon sleeve, 5cm and it came to €59.
Obviously you wanted to use your Gemini cable, but if some people are weighing up getting an adaptor made up or not for use with a mobile device, it might just be worth getting an entirely neW cable.
On the site it just gives you the option for type-A but no selection for whether male or female. Did you ask him to make with a female connector or did it just come like that without asking?

Apr 24, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #3,550 of 9,047
On the site it just gives you the option for type-A but no selection for whether male or female. Did you ask him to make with a female connector or did it just come like that without asking?

Yeah, I was hoping there would be a ready made cable with a female connection so there wasn't a wait, but no luck. I contacted Matez/Matthew through the website asking if it was possible for him to make me one with a female connection and he said it was no problem at all. I'm hoping this means he's got everything in stock so he can make it up as quickly as any other custom.

Apr 24, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #3,551 of 9,047
hello guys i am back to using the ifi micro dsd with my sony z ultra after i updated to lollipop so i have few questions

1- which is the best of the best player now on android to work with idsd
2- what happened with the firmware upgrade and is it important now with lollipop
3- right now i am using neutron player and i see the light indicator is yellow although the files are 44.1 why is that?
4- if neutron is the best player please advise the ultimate setup to work with idsd

Apr 24, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #3,552 of 9,047
  hello guys i am back to using the ifi micro dsd with my sony z ultra after i updated to lollipop so i have few questions

2- what happened with the firmware upgrade and is it important now with lollipop
3- right now i am using neutron player and i see the light indicator is yellow although the files are 44.1 why is that?
4- if neutron is the best player please advise the ultimate setup to work with idsd

I have this on my Android tablet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro but I have not tried playing DSD on it yet, using my ASUS 205TA instead of Android because it is more versatile with Foobar, has better Wi-Fi, etc.

Apr 24, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #3,553 of 9,047

Tried them all, I always go back to HF Player. Does everything I want it to and does it well.

Apr 24, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #3,554 of 9,047
Ok two things:

1. My stock audeze cable has likely frayed inside, and now my right channel is in/out. Definitely the cable. Any cable recommendations for durability/flexibility, so I don't have to replace a cable every ~14 months? (I know, wrong thread but I think there are a lot of Audeze users here).

2. I own the LCD-2, but I really, really want the LCD-X. Many users here are doing NORMAL with IEMatch set to "high-sensitivity" with the LCD-X, as NORMAL without IEMatch engaged is too loud/too little control on volume pot. Does NORMAL + High-sensitivity lower the sound quality? 

- I'm convinced that I cannot run LCD-X on ECO mode as Audeze recommends 1w of power, and I have experienced decreased dynamics on the LCD-2 in ECO mode. 

Apr 24, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #3,555 of 9,047
I'm very happy with the sound quality of my iFi IDSD.

However, one thing that happens and surprises me is that battery runs out while I'm listening to it connected to a powered computer.

Shouldn't my MacBookPro be able to power it via USB? Looks like the iDSD spends more power while playing than is getting from the USB and ends up running out.

Is this normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back