iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Apr 23, 2015 at 1:27 AM Post #3,526 of 9,047
Just got the iDSD micro and it is awesome. I'm using it with HD650's. So any reccomendations from experienced on how to get the most out of it? Currently playing my audio straight from spotify on MacBook.

Apr 23, 2015 at 2:51 AM Post #3,528 of 9,047
I wonder how an iDSD + Cavalli Audio Liquid Carbon would fare against the Hugo or maybe an iDSD + ALO Continental Dual Mono to put the prices closer. Something tells me the Hugo wouldn't hold out. That being said, words aren't as meaningful until they're put into practice and Mike Mercer has done just that, at least for the Carbon.

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #3,529 of 9,047
Just got the iDSD micro and it is awesome. I'm using it with HD650's. So any reccomendations from experienced on how to get the most out of it? Currently playing my audio straight from spotify on MacBook.

I vouch for Foobar too, have not tried HQ Player yet, but Foobar with foo_dsd_asio plugin to convert to DSD is really awesome! A decent audiophile grade headphone amp is a good idea to enjoy even better sound from iDSD Micro. Maybe a pair of planar headphones to compliment the good amp, I have one and only use dynamic headphones when watching movies, iUSB Power with Gemini cables? (though I am not 100% convinced that the iUSB-powered sound is $400-better than the battery-powered sound in iDSD).... that list can go on forever(only money is the object).

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #3,530 of 9,047
Hi,

Can someone recommend the best audio quality from the SDM types dropdown in the foo_dsd_asio plugin when converting from PCM to DSD? I currently use SDM Type D (FP32) because it seems to be a little bit more detailed than Type C recommended by iFi tutorial. But I could be wrong, the only thing for sure is that Type D causes more CPU load (about 70-80%) compared to Type C (about 50%) on my ASUS 205TA laptop running ATOM processor. But the sound quality between those Sigma Delta Modulation choices when outputting to DSD is really very tiny. But still... any suggestions?

Apr 23, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #3,531 of 9,047
In my endless search for better audio, I came across a very excellent free player: Bug Head Emperor. I have HQPlayer which is great and an upsampling monster, but BHE may be better.

The developer is an independent self taught, eccentric Japanese guy who must be a genius. The manual is mostly Japanese, but if you got some smarts you can figure it out. He recently added dsd support, even Dop. I don't know what he does, but he's got some magic. I like everything played in native format and sample rate.

Here is a download link for those interested:
Bug head Emperor 4.70 
Note: If you use Dop, the volume control must be set to max to work.

Enjoy

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #3,532 of 9,047
I'm looking for am improvement without spending any money or very little. So I guess I'll have to download some CD's, download them, and use an HQ player. Is there really an audible different between Spotify's 320 kbps and a HQ player at like 900-1100 Kbps

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #3,533 of 9,047
This product has a USB-A male socket. Like many of us, we own high quality USB-A male cables. Therefore, a female adapter is needed in order to use our USB-A male cables. (hopefully I explained that right)

Is there such a thing as high quality USB adapters or will any adapter from the local store work without deteriorating sound quality?

Apr 23, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #3,534 of 9,047
today to my surprise my sony xperia z ultra got updated to lolipop and now i am connecting it directly to my ifi micro dsd and i can use any music player boy it sounds so good now, so i am not only bound to using uapp or onkyo hf

i know this is not maybe of interest to anyone of u but i like what i am hearing

i am using jet audio with all its dsp effects and it sounds dam amazing

so my setup rig is smaller now

z ultra- ifi micro dsd-- alo mk3 --- audeze all balanced

now i will experiment with viper4android to go extra miles with dsp processing

its just amazing using all these players in android

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #3,535 of 9,047

go use android phone with lollipop and use all players u like to play with there are tons of things u can use now

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,536 of 9,047
  Hi,

Can someone recommend the best audio quality from the SDM types dropdown in the foo_dsd_asio plugin when converting from PCM to DSD? I currently use SDM Type D (FP32) because it seems to be a little bit more detailed than Type C recommended by iFi tutorial. But I could be wrong, the only thing for sure is that Type D causes more CPU load (about 70-80%) compared to Type C (about 50%) on my ASUS 205TA laptop running ATOM processor. But the sound quality between those Sigma Delta Modulation choices when outputting to DSD is really very tiny. But still... any suggestions?

I use type D (without the fp32). Imo, it sounds the best (less harshness) but does use a lot more cpu. I agree the changes are subtle but, for me at least, making a few subtle changes here or there can add up to making a bigger difference.

The settings in the iFi tutorial are recommended to work best with most computers (hence the usb sampling rate on "extra safe" when the others work just as well on a fast enough pc). 

If your pc will only be doing playback through the Micro, any settings should be fine as long as your not hitting 100% load. However, if you'll be browsing the web or doing other stuff at the same time, the sound may distort until you change some settings. Even then it may still distort occasionally as Foobar's dsd plugin can be buggy.

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:52 PM Post #3,537 of 9,047
Thanks! I just compared Type  D and it does seem to sound a little more cleaner or at least the same as FP32 Type D.

Apr 23, 2015 at 8:02 PM Post #3,538 of 9,047
This product has a USB-A male socket. Like many of us, we own high quality USB-A male cables. Therefore, a female adapter is needed in order to use our USB-A male cables. (hopefully I explained that right)

Is there such a thing as high quality USB adapters or will any adapter from the local store work without deteriorating sound quality?

I had one made by Forza Audio works that I am very happy with. I paid 59 euros. Here is a picture. I believe it helped Sq some....added depth.

I was very unhappy about ifi's choice of usb input connector. I had bought a gemini cable and did not like the idea of inputting through a very generic adapter. If you want one, you can email Matthew, he'll know what you need.  matthew@forzaaudioworks.com

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #3,539 of 9,047
I had one made by Forza Audio works that I am very happy with. I paid 59 euros. Here is a picture. I believe it helped Sq some....added depth.

I was very unhappy about ifi's choice of usb input connector. I had bought a gemini cable and did not like the idea of inputting through a very generic adapter. If you want one, you can email Matthew, he'll know what you need.  matthew@forzaaudioworks.com
First off, thanks a lot for your reply.

So here is what's happening. A couple months ago I started researching for my first audio setep. I obliviously went with an iFi Micro to pair with my HE-400i purchase. Next, I got an Audio-Technica interconnect to replace the generic piece. Lastly, I went with two FAW cables; a LOD for android devices and a copper series for my computer. The thing was, when I bought the FAW cables, I didn't know the iFi dac was going to be this type of socket.

With that said, I have now received this dac only to find out that it's not "the normal"! This choice is not being questioned by me, I'm just upset with myself for not doing enough research. An iFi Micro would still had been the dac for me but I would have did something differently on the cable side.

I ordered FAW cables a few weeks ago but the package awaits. I'm certain they're not going to fit my iFi product so I'm pretty bummed out to realize that not only might I need an adapter, but to think I possibly could have had the USB custom to properly fit.

I wonder if I can send the cables back and have Matthew detach the male end and replace it with a female to avoid having to use an adapter.

Apr 23, 2015 at 9:23 PM Post #3,540 of 9,047
Based upon my experience with him, he is open to doing most anything you want. That would be the smart thing to do....and you would avoid an extra connection. It's a shame you didn't realize when you had the cable made.

He made that adapter for me and also recently recabled my Beyer T1s, which have a solder connection on them. He even made an extension cord of my old cable for me. Here is the cable I got:
http://forzaaudioworks.com/en/product.php?id_product=72
It sounds awesome. It made the T1s more dynamic and revealing....very happy with that. It is nice to have someone do custom work, and really great work at that. Let us know how you make out with that cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back