iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Nov 8, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #1,398 of 9,047
I guess that (for once) my timing was impeccable, because I ordered my micro thursday from ttvj, and it was shipped Friday. Should have it Monday. Can't wait. Quick question tho: Is a cable included to use my X3 as a transport only, with the micro acting as the amp and dac? If not, what do I need to get?(Didn't even think of ordering from anyone else, as thanks for kindly providing some awesome microbrews at CanJam, along with a room to party in when the hotel shut down the ttvj pub). Thanks Todd.

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #1,399 of 9,047
Hi guys , i think there is something wrong with my setup.
When i select the ifi output on my mac , no sound is coming out.

macbookpro -> mercury 0.5m -> iusbpower -> gemini 1.5m -> idsd micro -> headphone

This is weird. No sound at all.

P.S  Solved. Was using the small thumbsize usb adapter(black color) provided in idsd micro. No sound coming out. When switched the small cable adapter version, it is working again.

Stupid me. LOL.

Nov 9, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #1,401 of 9,047
Indeed the Micro iDSD is really. Really. REALLY clean with the USB signal! In all honesty, I didn't believe in the iPurifier's technology until I got my hands on it myself with the purifier built in the Micro iDSD. and yes, the Micro iDSD is very feature packed as well. Powerful, check. Desktop quality, check. XBass & 3D, check. iPurfier, check. Awesome DAC, check. DSD playback, check with DSD512. Bit-Perfect Switch, check. What else?!

Indeed indeed. Amazing feature set. Interestingly enough, one can adapt the sound signature to specific equipment end-point in place. Look, I've sold my Meridian Director DAC and it was straight forward replacement (financially). Director is absolutely wonderful DAC, BUT feature wise not comparable and on top of that I was waiting for a 6 months or so for them to release the fix related to USB3 chip-set compatibility problem. One have to wonder.

I don't have any readily available DAC at the moment for (PCM) comparison, just my trusty Cantatis Overture sound card. I'm not sure if Micro RCA analog output stage (direct mode)  is bull eyed at 2.0V, but it seems that I would have to level matched them first as Micro sounds a bit thinner and somewhat distant. It's amazingly clear though without slightest hint of harshness, very easy on the ear. I'm using JRMC with parallel output to two zones (one wasapi output to Micro and one wasapi output to Cantatis) and my pre-amp is digitally relayed (so no gap when switching sources) as comparison method.

It's interesting that even when you turn off the Micro it's still available to the operating system and music continues to play. It's seems that some type of keep alive signal is in place. When you turn it on there is a micro crossfader in place so that you don't have that initial burst from the audio signal. Interesting indeed. Drivers are rock solid.

Headphones tests still to follow ...

Nov 10, 2014 at 3:13 AM Post #1,402 of 9,047
Here to report that this combo works like a charm:

Sony NWZ-A15 (or A16 / A17) + WMC-NWH10 (OTG cable) + iDSD micro.

iDSD nano will work as well.

A15-iDSDm.jpg

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #1,403 of 9,047
Hello,

I am new here 
biggrin.gif
and want to join now headphone/dac hifi
smily_headphones1.gif
. Think about buying K701 headphones and the iDSD Nano for beginning. So my question is, if the Micro would be the more better choice only soundwise or would the Nano make me happy enough??

Sorry for my English, it is not my native language.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:00 AM Post #1,404 of 9,047
Indeed indeed. Amazing feature set. Interestingly enough, one can adapt the sound signature to specific equipment end-point in place. Look, I've sold my Meridian Director DAC and it was straight forward replacement (financially). Director is absolutely wonderful DAC, BUT feature wise not comparable and on top of that I was waiting for a 6 months or so for them to release the fix related to USB3 chip-set compatibility problem. One have to wonder.

I don't have any readily available DAC at the moment for (PCM) comparison, just my trusty Cantatis Overture sound card. I'm not sure if Micro RCA analog output stage (direct mode)  is bull eyed at 2.0V, but it seems that I would have to level matched them first as Micro sounds a bit thinner and somewhat distant. It's amazingly clear though without slightest hint of harshness, very easy on the ear. I'm using JRMC with parallel output to two zones (one wasapi output to Micro and one wasapi output to Cantatis) and my pre-amp is digitally relayed (so no gap when switching sources) as comparison method.

It's interesting that even when you turn off the Micro it's still available to the operating system and music continues to play. It's seems that some type of keep alive signal is in place. When you turn it on there is a micro crossfader in place so that you don't have that initial burst from the audio signal. Interesting indeed. Drivers are rock solid.

Headphones tests still to follow ...

Agreed with the last paragraph. My old FiiO stack when turned off, my PC will go back to speaker but with the Micro, it continues which is kind of disturbing as I sometimes like to charge it on my PC while playing music. What I did was, use FB2k and switch the output myself.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:21 AM Post #1,405 of 9,047
  Hello,

I am new here 
biggrin.gif
and want to join now headphone/dac hifi
smily_headphones1.gif
. Think about buying K701 headphones and the iDSD Nano for beginning. So my question is, if the Micro would be the more better choice only soundwise or would the Nano make me happy enough??

Sorry for my English, it is not my native language.

Hi mate,

Nano is great little product.

But micro will serve you well now and in the future (all kinds of headphones and more settings to play with).

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #1,406 of 9,047
Here to report that this combo works like a charm:

Sony NWZ-A15 (or A16 / A17) + WMC-NWH10 (OTG cable) + iDSD micro.

What is that 1/4" plug adapter in the iDSD?

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #1,407 of 9,047
Have any mates tested iDSD micro along with the likes of Schiit , Geek and other similar range DAC/AMP ?

So where do you think the micro stand among these boys ?

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #1,410 of 9,047
What is that 1/4" plug adapter in the iDSD?

That, my friend, is possibly the smallest 1/4' adapter there is, but you can only find it on Taobao.

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.22.eTiI71&id=36116656270&ns=1&abbucket=8&_u=b1j64hni7376#detail

I just hate the stock one that sticks out too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back