iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #8,551 of 9,047
Hi Thank you for taking the time to reply. My question relates to the Micro's input. I am considering pairing it with a the Auralic Aries Mini which is just a server that requires a DAC that isn't reliant on having a driver. The Micro has a driver so I need to know if the two devices will work. Thanks

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #8,552 of 9,047
Hi Thank you for taking the time to reply. My question relates to the Micro's input. I am considering pairing it with a the Auralic Aries Mini which is just a server that requires a DAC that isn't reliant on having a driver. The Micro has a driver so I need to know if the two devices will work. Thanks

Ummm, does the Mini not have an internal DAC?

Anyways, the Mini does have optical output, and the Micro has optical input.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #8,554 of 9,047
Hi Yes my mistake the Auralic Aries Mini does have a DAC but no amp so I would use the Micro but utilise the USB connections to exploit the best DSD performance.

From the Auralic website: Compatible DAC' means a DAC do not require a driver for Linux system.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #8,555 of 9,047
Hi Yes my mistake the Auralic Aries Mini does have a DAC but no amp so I would use the Micro but utilise the USB connections to exploit the best DSD performance.

From the Auralic website: Compatible DAC' means a DAC do not require a driver for Linux system.
The iDSD only needs a driver for Windows.

It's amazing what you can learn by using the search function on Head-Fi. As an example, you could search for "Auralic Aries iDSD" and limit the scope to "Dedicated Source Components".

The third result answers your question.

Oct 19, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #8,556 of 9,047
Could anyone let me know what is the differences between the original iDSD Micro and the Black Label version? Is the sound quality much better on the Black Label?
Between Mojo and the original iDSD version, which one is better?
I'm currently using the iem ath Ckr9, the headphone Momentum 2.0 over ear and the Hifiman HE-500. Probably using the micro mainly for the Momentum 2.0 and the He-500. I'm thinking of using the Ibasso DX90 as the transport device for the iDSD Micro. Would the sound quality improve?

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #8,557 of 9,047
Could anyone let me know what is the differences between the original iDSD Micro and the Black Label version? Is the sound quality much better on the Black Label?
Between Mojo and the original iDSD version, which one is better?
I'm currently using the iem ath Ckr9, the headphone Momentum 2.0 over ear and the Hifiman HE-500. Probably using the micro mainly for the Momentum 2.0 and the He-500. I'm thinking of using the Ibasso DX90 as the transport device for the iDSD Micro. Would the sound quality improve?
Between the iDSD and the Mojo I wouldn’t say one is better than the other. I really liked the iDSD’s more neutral soundsig with lots of clarity in the trebles. But the Mojo could prove more musical on certain tracks.
In terms of functionalities the iDSD wins hands down. Also, battery life on the Mojo is rather disappointing. I haven’t seen anyone mention battery replacement service from iFi but with Chord it’s quite expensive. Chord also use a lot of proprietary technologies so using 3rd party is more limited. This is particularly important for people from developing countries like me.
I figuee you can expect improvement from the dx90, especially with the HE 500. The iDSD integrated amp is a beast in terms of raw power.

Oct 21, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #8,558 of 9,047
I have and use both the Micro and the Mojo.
For the time being, most of my use is with the Mojo and the Micro might be moving on.
I do occasionally use them both in my main 2 channel setup with the Micro as a USB/SPDIF since I'm pretty sure I prefer the coax to USB in on the Mojo.

-Steve

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:47 AM Post #8,560 of 9,047
I have and use both the Micro and the Mojo.
For the time being, most of my use is with the Mojo and the Micro might be moving on.
I do occasionally use them both in my main 2 channel setup with the Micro as a USB/SPDIF since I'm pretty sure I prefer the coax to USB in on the Mojo.

-Steve
So you mainly use the Mojo but not the Micro? Is it because of the portability or the sound quality?

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:29 PM Post #8,562 of 9,047
Mainly because of the portability really. The sound differences are really just that to me - differences. I enjoy both products.

-Steve

Oct 24, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #8,563 of 9,047
Isn't this due for an upgrade? I got a few friends that I'm trying to get addicted to headphones and all of the related equipment necessary and they aren't at the stage I'm at and won't spend Hugo 2 money quite yet and this seems to be a good product for entry level guys, but looking at when it was released makes me think that an updated version should be out within 12 months. I can't recommend the mojo as it seems to have a lot of issues and ifi products seem to be a lot better made, but the micro line looks really due for an update. And I'd hate to recommend something that will be updated soon.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 8:59 AM Post #8,564 of 9,047
Isn't this due for an upgrade?
Hope not just recently got mine... But yeah in November it'll be two years old.

What can they do to improve it though? TI/burr brown is not producing new upgraded chips (as far as I know). XMOS has upgrades out but this will hardly matter. The clock might be upgradeable but again will hardly matter. The capacitors are really really good panasonic ones. MQA is already supported, filter is just upgraded to GTO. The amp is freakishly powerful and very silent.

What do you want to see in a new revision? Very little room for improvement. Next step might be iDSD Pro. only $2500 :deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #8,565 of 9,047
Isn't this due for an upgrade? I got a few friends that I'm trying to get addicted to headphones and all of the related equipment necessary and they aren't at the stage I'm at and won't spend Hugo 2 money quite yet and this seems to be a good product for entry level guys, but looking at when it was released makes me think that an updated version should be out within 12 months. I can't recommend the mojo as it seems to have a lot of issues and ifi products seem to be a lot better made, but the micro line looks really due for an update. And I'd hate to recommend something that will be updated soon.
It's already been upgraded with the Black Label edition. Hard to improve on perfection. There really isn't any more you could do with it unless moving to a bigger box - but that's the Pro-iDSD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back