iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 24, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #8,447 of 9,047
I am considering iDSD Black Label, did anyone compare idsd BL to NFB 11.28? Does idsd BL has multibit DAC chip?
Well, first of all, I find it kinda difficult to carry the NFB 11.28 around... Jokes aside, I don't even have the NFB 11.28, but the 28.38, which is in a different market segment, as it has a fully balanced configuration and a very powerful amp section. Having said that, I love the iFi micro iDSD, I've changed a few desktop amps but I always kept my BL. It's Burr Brown twin DAC section is superb and I don't know if it is multibit or not, but it has a "bit perfect" switch which I keep on all the time. Power-wise it is definitely no slouch, in fact it comes close to the 28.38. The BL is definitely more suited for iems, even very sensitive ones, the 28.38 loves big, higher impedance cans. So, depending on your intended use you may choose one or the other, for desktop, full size balanced headphones I have chosen the 28.38, for iems and single ended cans the micro iDSD BL. Both also have analog outputs (the 28.38 XLR and RCA, the BL only RCA), which allows their use as pure DACs. On a single ended basis, I think the micro iDSD BL has a slight upper hand vs. the 11.28, and it is certainly much more versatile.

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #8,451 of 9,047
Hi All

Really hoping you guys can help me but i've got the flashing blue light on my idsd black label.
I have tried plugging it in to a usb power source (in my case my iPhone charger) for an hour, unplug wait 30 seconds then re plug. Have tried this 3 times but it still gives me the flashing blue light.
Am i doing this right? stupid question but i plug the provided blue usb cable from the digital input into the power source and not plug in a male to male usb to the smart power output on the side to charge the unit.

Am at my wits end with this thing. Love it when it's working but i then didn't use it for a month and now having annoying dramas trying to "jump start" this battery.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Jul 28, 2018 at 7:51 AM Post #8,452 of 9,047
Hi All

Really hoping you guys can help me but i've got the flashing blue light on my idsd black label.
I have tried plugging it in to a usb power source (in my case my iPhone charger) for an hour, unplug wait 30 seconds then re plug. Have tried this 3 times but it still gives me the flashing blue light.
Am i doing this right? stupid question but i plug the provided blue usb cable from the digital input into the power source and not plug in a male to male usb to the smart power output on the side to charge the unit.

Am at my wits end with this thing. Love it when it's working but i then didn't use it for a month and now having annoying dramas trying to "jump start" this battery.

Sounds like you've got the cable in the right place. Unplug it, try turning the device on, see what happens. If it looks like it's acting normal again, turn it off and put it back on the charger. If you turn it on and it still doesn't do anything, leave it on the charger for a couple of hours

Jul 29, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #8,453 of 9,047
Sounds like you've got the cable in the right place. Unplug it, try turning the device on, see what happens. If it looks like it's acting normal again, turn it off and put it back on the charger. If you turn it on and it still doesn't do anything, leave it on the charger for a couple of hours
Thank you for your reply. Tried all that, still flashing blue light. Left it on "charge" all day and still not doing anything. I'm only supposed to plug in the blue cable to the digital input for charging the device right? Nothing else.
Frustrating me to no end.

Jul 29, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #8,454 of 9,047
Thank you for your reply. Tried all that, still flashing blue light. Left it on "charge" all day and still not doing anything. I'm only supposed to plug in the blue cable to the digital input for charging the device right? Nothing else.
http://support.ifi-audio.com/

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:10 AM Post #8,455 of 9,047

Because you are using the wrong port. The main one is the digital input. The charging port is the smaller one to the right (the micro USB).

ifi-xdsd-04.jpg

It has a battery symbol above it with "5V". You need a USB to micro USB cable - there isn't one included in the accessory package, but any standard micro USB charge cable will do.

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:25 AM Post #8,456 of 9,047
Because you are using the wrong port. The main one is the digital input. The charging port is the smaller one to the right (the micro USB).

ifi-xdsd-04.jpg

It has a battery symbol above it with "5V". You need a USB to micro USB cable - there isn't one included in the accessory package, but any standard micro USB charge cable will do.

Thanks for the reply however i'm using the IFI idsd Black label

Jul 29, 2018 at 5:47 AM Post #8,457 of 9,047
Sorry - confused. Was reading 2 threads at the same time. Suggest doing what Technobear said - raise a ticket with iFi. That's what they are there for.

Jul 29, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #8,458 of 9,047
Thanks for the reply however i'm using the IFI idsd Black label
I had the same issue with mine. In the end I sent it over to iFi for PCB replacement because none of their troubleshooting tips worked.

Jul 29, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #8,459 of 9,047
Hi All

I am guessing that you are talking about the Micro iDSD BL. Take a look at this:

https://ifi-audio.com/audio_blog/smartpower-please-feed-the-meaty-monster-part-1/

I charge mine from my PC USB rather than an adapter. It looks to me that could be your issue. Hope the link helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back