iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Feb 28, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #5,431 of 9,047
I see you own the mojo too, do you mind giving me your thoughts about the two?.. Does the mojo have enough bass as compared to the micro?

I do not own the Mojo but had it for the tour. I think the iDSD is better than the Mojo to which is why i bought the Micro instead of the Mojo. The Mojo is a great device and sounds great but the Micro is more my flavor. I like the bass of the Micro better as it is more exact and controlled, plus the is a bass boost on the micro and nothing on the Mojo.

Feb 29, 2016 at 1:57 AM Post #5,433 of 9,047
  I do not own the Mojo but had it for the tour. I think the iDSD is better than the Mojo to which is why i bought the Micro instead of the Mojo. The Mojo is a great device and sounds great but the Micro is more my flavor. I like the bass of the Micro better as it is more exact and controlled, plus the is a bass boost on the micro and nothing on the Mojo.

Thanks for that..

Feb 29, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #5,434 of 9,047
Yes. It's brilliant.
Thanks.

You will need good headphones to really hear what it is doing.

It does need a little burn in but not as much as the iUSB3.0 (which took 300 hours here). 100 hours should do it.

If you want to run two DACs or would benefit from the extra charging ports or want to power an external hard drive then choose the micro iUSB3.0.

If you don't need those extra features then it's a coin toss between the iPurifier 2 or the nano iUSB3.0 (although again it depends on how good the headphones are as only the very best will tell these devices apart).

Feb 29, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #5,436 of 9,047
  I may be having a senior moment, but am I correct in thinking that the iDSD has an optical input in the spdif? Apologies if I am rambling.

Yes, it has.

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #5,438 of 9,047
On another forum - some guy said he was talking to the iFi guys who buy some bags of records at the bristol show. were buying for themselves or for freinds? but they really into vinyl. they should make a phono stage and turbtable

Mar 1, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #5,439 of 9,047
On another forum - some guy said he was talking to the iFi guys who buy some bags of records at the bristol show. were buying for themselves or for freinds? but they really into vinyl. they should make a phono stage and turbtable

ifi = AMR Abbingdon Music Research 
http://www.amr-audio.co.uk/html/ph_individual.html

Phono Equalizer.

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iphono/

Phono Stage for ifi.

There are enough turntables I guess :wink:

Cheers!

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #5,441 of 9,047
Is anybody here using the iUSB3.0?  I'm wondering if it is compatible with 2.0 USB ports?  And if so, would it be better to still run my micro DSD from the battery (turned on before connecting to USB), or turning the micro on after connecting to the iUSB3.0 whereby using it as the power source?

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #5,442 of 9,047
Is anybody here using the iUSB3.0? I'm wondering if it is compatible with 2.0 USB ports?

Yes.

And if so, would it be better to still run my micro DSD from the battery (turned on before connecting to USB), or turning the micro on after connecting to the iUSB3.0 whereby using it as the power source?

I would run from the iUSB3.0 and save the battery life for portable use.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #5,443 of 9,047
Yes.
I would run from the iUSB3.0 and save the battery life for portable use.

Thanks for the quick reply technobear.  Two reasons why I would purchase the iUSB3.0.  First of course is to lower the noise floor.  Second, I've noticed that I am only getting about 2 hours use from the battery.  I always run in ECO mode using the line out to an external amp.  I leave the micro on 24/7 as my USB port always outputs power when the computer is off.  Is it possible that the auto charging system in the micro has already caused the battery life to get shorter?

Mar 1, 2016 at 6:36 PM Post #5,445 of 9,047
While I am evaluating the iUSB3 with the long Gemini cable I decided to update the Micro iDSD firmware to 5.1. It was my fourth firmware I have done on my Micro iDSD and it was the most difference regarding sound quality differences.  Music that is heavy with Cymbals is smoother and bass like the bass trombone are crisper and better defined. Recording of music in a Symphony hall has better soundstage that does not sound like it was added by a reverb machine.  This in turn gives a much more natural  presentation of music  in its original environment. Previously I already undated my Retro 50 to 5.1 and it rival my LD VI+ in sound quality.  Very impressed with my Retro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back