iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Jul 30, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #4,246 of 9,047
  After v4.10 upgrade my iDSD is no longer going into "sleep" state when USB powered from my Mac (the LED is no longer starting to blink after a certain time without playing). Anybody else the same behavior?

didn't see any answer... all your iDSD's with v4.10 are going into sleep when continuously powered?

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #4,247 of 9,047
You did make a 'Full System Image' backup first didn't you?
cool.gif

Ok I'm back after the update, I can confirm the micro iDSD is working witouth any problem, tested with foobar2000, played, flac, pcm and DSD files no trouble at all. Only thing to keep in mind is that I disconnected de iDSD during the update and reconnected it after all was done. Jriver is asking me to reinstall the software because it was installed in a different OS.

I'll be comenting anything weird I encounter, but so far we're good.

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #4,248 of 9,047
Ok I'm back after the update, I can confirm the micro iDSD is working witouth any problem, tested with foobar2000, played, flac, pcm and DSD files no trouble at all. Only thing to keep in mind is that I disconnected de iDSD during the update and reconnected it after all was done. Jriver is asking me to reinstall the software because it was installed in a different OS.

I'll be comenting anything weird I encounter, but so far we're good.

So the driver does work with windows 10,
or are you talking about Ifi's iDSD firmware update?

Jul 30, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #4,249 of 9,047
So the driver does work with windows 10,
or are you talking about Ifi's iDSD firmware update?

Yep, the driver works on my windows 10 machine, by the way, my iDSD has the latest FW installed.

But you know different systems can vary on behavior, i would recommend a reinstall of drivers after the update, and it would be cool if iFi personal commented on this matter.

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:10 PM Post #4,250 of 9,047
I can also confirm the Micro works with Windows 10.

Updated the Micro to fw 4.10 a few days ago and last night I upgraded my Asus laptop from Win8.1 to 10 (32-bit).

Didn't even have to reinstall the iFi driver or Foobar. Played several tracks (flac/wav/mp3) from 44 to 96khz and absolutely no problems (the Micro driver also correctly confirmed each sample rate). Haven't tried 192 or dsd yet but don't forsee any issues.

I'll be trying 64-bit next but might wait a while until I know the upgrade won't cause any big issues on my desktop (wasn't too worried about the Asus; as my brother says I used it as a "crash test dummy"). Have a feeling some of the issues mentioned are due to 64-bits (like most previous versions of Windows just after release).

Jul 30, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #4,251 of 9,047
I've been using Windows 10 for a couple of months now (as an insider) and I can also confirm that it all does work without a hitch, and has worked since I first started using it.
I had to reinstall MC20, but the iFi audio driver works with Windows fresh out of the box from an upgrade.

Do upgrade to Windows 10, it is seriously good. :)

Jul 31, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #4,252 of 9,047
For those having issues with Windows 10 audio:

1. Open the 'Sound' control panel.

2. Select the iFi device.

3. Click 'Properties'.

4. Click the 'Advanced' tab.

5. Under default format, choose "16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)".

6. Click OK.

7. See if it now works :popcorn:

Jul 31, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #4,253 of 9,047
For those having issues with Windows 10 audio:

1. Open the 'Sound' control panel.

2. Select the iFi device.

3. Click 'Properties'.

4. Click the 'Advanced' tab.

5. Under default format, choose "16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)".

6. Click OK.

7. See if it now works
popcorn.gif

It actually does work now for me :xf_eek: But I tried this and it worked, and I switched back to 24bit and 192khz and it also works. 

I had the first windows updates tonight installed, maybe that could have helped?

Aug 2, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #4,254 of 9,047
Hi there

Do you think it is possible use an idsd to connect an iPod classic 5g rock boxed and in that way improve amp and dac session ?
Indeed iPod source warrant 10 hours of play and if modded also a huge room for flac files

I have found an instruction where is suggested to connect the IPod vs the DAC using 30 pin USB photo adapter but it seems incorrect since micro IDSD should host USB male part ... Moreover I'm not sure if ROCKBOX presence make some difference in the iPod capacity to drive external dac ...

There is someone experienced into that ?

(I use hd650 nano is not good enough with me)

Regards

Aug 2, 2015 at 3:29 AM Post #4,255 of 9,047
The photo adapter works with newer IPods. If digital data is coming through the 30 pin adapter then all it would need is a patch lead for the micro. Is there an adapter that terminates with a sub plug from the 30 pin plug that carries data?

The charging lead doesn't work.

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:16 AM Post #4,256 of 9,047
Hi there

Do you think it is possible use an idsd to connect an iPod classic 5g rock boxed and in that way improve amp and dac session ?
Indeed iPod source warrant 10 hours of play and if modded also a huge room for flac files

I have found an instruction where is suggested to connect the IPod vs the DAC using 30 pin USB photo adapter but it seems incorrect since micro IDSD should host USB male part ... Moreover I'm not sure if ROCKBOX presence make some difference in the iPod capacity to drive external dac ...

There is someone experienced into that ?

(I use hd650 nano is not good enough with me)

Regards

First of all, any iPod before the 6th Gen iPod Classic doesn't even work with DACs, such as the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo, that have onboard capability to work with Apple devices (So no your iPod Classic won't work). Secondly, non "Apple" DACs need something like a smartphone/tablet and then the adapter to be able to function. Third, you can still utilise the iDSD with your Rockboxed iPod Classic 5g but only as an amplifier meaning you'd want a "iPod LOD to mini" interconnect. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #4,258 of 9,047
Hi there

I do not or I cannot agree with you until a real test ....

First of all if someone remember the first digital transport made for iPod and all of them was working with Classic and touch ... Then I have found this documentation

https://www.elitediffusion.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/i/f/ifi_nano_idsd_apple_2_steps_.pdf

So case one they have a really rich fantasy ... Second it works ... Indeed I need to know if someone have succes or fails in first person

Thanks

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #4,259 of 9,047
Hi there

I do not or I cannot agree with you until a real test ....

First of all if someone remember the first digital transport made for iPod and all of them was working with Classic and touch ... Then I have found this documentation

https://www.elitediffusion.com/media/mconnect_uploadfiles/i/f/ifi_nano_idsd_apple_2_steps_.pdf

So case one they have a really rich fantasy ... Second it works ... Indeed I need to know if someone have succes or fails in first person

Thanks

I'm telling you this as I have an iPod Video (iPod Classic) 5.5g. That link you just posted, if you notice, it's for "smart" devices which the iPod Classic is not one. Also, the Cypher Labs Algorhythm Solo which is designed for Apple devices even if they aren't "smart" devices only works with iPods starting from the Classic 6th Gen. It doesn't work with my 5.5g and it will surely not work with your 5g. You can choose not to believe me but I only state these as facts to help you and through my experience of years into this hobby.

Feel free to prove me wrong though but I haven't seen it documented in this entire thread nor the other iFi Micro iDSD thread. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 8:35 AM Post #4,260 of 9,047
Hi. With all the respect I can offer

Document I have linked (brand as IFI in the top part of PDF) states iPod 4th and 5th nor 6 or older .... It would be a fake I agree but it easy to discover

I cannot link the screenshot made with iPad to better point the area since I'm here with an iPad ... (-:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back