iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #256 of 9,047
  Yeah, the problem is that pop noise appears during the playing. I don't know why does change dsd>pcm>dad. 

I use ver. 1.5.12.  I think it is my iMac problem.. I changed a setting and it disappeared until now.

This.  

So much of the issue with pops and ticks is system dependent.  It can vary with hardware and software.  Even a tiny setting change that may not have seemed so obvious at first may be the answer.  I am using the latest Jriver on Windows 7, and different configs yield notable variations in the results.  

An interesting observation for me is that when using headphones, the tick or click when changing rates or formats is of so little amplitude it is virtually non-existent.  I just added a pair of B&W 686 s2 bookshelf speakers to my desktop setup (total impulse buy) and the pops and clicks in this case are more notable.  I can think of no reason why this should be the case, other than the gain added in my outboard amp.  But as I listen at similar levels whether I use headphones or speakers, it seems that the ratio should scale equally.  I am not any kind of expert in amplifiers, though.  Perhaps this is due to a serious non-linearity?  After all, it is at this point an el-cheapo Behringer amp.  

All of that said, I know iFi uses a muting circuit to prevent these kind of things.  Also, I believe the latest firmware from a couple months ago went a long way towards fixing these popping issues on the hardware side.  iFi is very proactive about these things, but since ( I believe ) the issue with DSD file changes is indeed rooted in the bitstream itself, and will vary depending on the particular software you use, iFi can only do so much on the hardware end, while keeping DSD in its native bitstream.  

Aug 11, 2014 at 5:00 PM Post #257 of 9,047
I also wanted to add that with J.River added a play a short silent when using DoP stop option when using the WASAPI driver as an example. If you are getting a pop during the middle of a song that's a different matter.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #258 of 9,047
hello,

i think i'll share my thoughts.

the nano was my first foray into computer music. i got it simply for its dsd capability. and it surprised me with its sound performance more than i expected. as excellent as the nano is, by itself alone, i was attracted to the idea of complimenting it with the i tube, for the same reason folks own the itube.

now i also have the micro idsd.

my first listens on the nano and the micro are the more memorable impressions. on the nano, i was  on the edge of my seat, and sighed as if to help it go higher.... and higher and sweeter it did  ....wow. The micro - it was on power mode, immediately, at past 9 o’clock with a big full sound, the instruments tonally distinct and separated in space from each other that was revealing of acoustic clues to the playing place. The micro, being physically bigger than its brother nano performed also sonically bigger, in my speaker set up.

So I played the micro with my redbooks upsampled to dsd, ( redbook layers of my sacd and some redbooks from windham-hill, telarc, etc.), as I did with the nano going all the way to dsd 512, in my old computer, dual core, 1 gig ram, serving as my evaluation unit to what impact computer music, for better or worse.

Using foobar and its sacd plug-in, I could upsample to dsd 512 and playback on the micro. ..the nano  to dsd128 . Using foo-asio, I limit myself to using SDM type B(FB32) than SDM type D (FB32), as it is slightly better SQ to my ears, the 3 or 4 % difference on cpu load could be the reason. The other 4 SDM types present a load twice at 40 % with corresponding poorer SQ. I also disable ‘Windows Search’ on ‘Services’ as it kicks in every now and then with a momentary 40% load to cpu on top of what the asio is using with audible impact on SQ, in fact, very distorted, specially on the 4 SDMs. Something I mistook  the USB port and cable then for the deteriorating SQ.

So the redline for good SQ in my system is 40% of asio load on cpu (dsd256- 40% , dsd512 - 50%) which led me play PCM natively - like native DSD -  is at 15%. And that was the biggest surprise, ironically, ending up being my own reference against which, my DSD upsampling were compared.

There is something to redbook playback on the Micro (using ifi asio) on my earphone – a seeming ease of flow of musical notes and voices that is so appealingly relaxing to me. There is the rich sparkle to piano sound and other instruments and voice that, in comparison, each step of dsd upsampling seems cleaner, but on closer look loses those sparkle in direct proportion the higher it goes. Now it makes me wonder whether a higher speed quadcore with at least4 gig of RAM and SSD, say, at 25% load to CPU for DSD 256,512 would do wonders. DSD 128 and 256 upsampling are enjoyable, tho, in my system. The downside is not really so apparent unless exerting effort. In my case, a conscious effort not to fall asleep instead, as I immersed into critical listening.

Music, to me, being ethereal and fleeting, hard to assess, is a subjective matter left to individual taste  unless  some finer gears come along to point out the finer things of music. My old experience on redbook was that of a ghost – a disemboweled spirit that rather disturbed my peace and soul –if I may describe my anxiety after a session of listening. After a hiatus of five years, when my SACD players died on me, the nano revived my interest in music. Its very sound alone then, made me look forward to owning its bigger brother, the micro. As excellent  the nano is, and enjoyable in all my listening sessions - if I may compare its magic to a beautiful apparition, the micro on  the other hand   ........in spite of the original sin – addition, subtraction in the mastering ....works wonder to reconcile  body and soul for the music  reincarnation around my speakers...  and at this early stage  this makes me look forward, wondering also, to what forthcoming little miracle could the Mini iDSD be performing....meanwhile there are many hours yet of enjoyable listening on weekends to fully burn-in the micro....and learn more of it.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #260 of 9,047
I'm about to order iFi Micro iDSD based on all the positive reviews / discussions here. However, I travel around the globe quite a bit and wanted to check with you whether I'd have issues using it in countries with AC 110 volts and also 220 volts. From my understanding, this is irrelevant but I wanted to verify with the forum here. And if it is irrelevant, is there a difference buying it in US versus UK for example (are they selling the exact same item)?

Thank you all in advance.

Aug 13, 2014 at 5:58 AM Post #261 of 9,047
  I'm about to order iFi Micro iDSD based on all the positive reviews / discussions here. However, I travel around the globe quite a bit and wanted to check with you whether I'd have issues using it in countries with AC 110 volts and also 220 volts. From my understanding, this is irrelevant but I wanted to verify with the forum here. And if it is irrelevant, is there a difference buying it in US versus UK for example (are they selling the exact same item)?

Well ... the micro iDSD charges via USB so you will just need a universal usb wall charger to charge it :)

I use a charger such as https://www.myinnergie.com/productdetail.php?productid=240

But your regular Apple/Samsung mobile phone wall charger would do fine too.

Aug 13, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #262 of 9,047

Also if you bring your Computer with you on these World Travels,you can charge by the USB Port (or USB 3 Port)... Yes,all Micro iDSD units are the same because of the way they charge the Battery...

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:06 AM Post #263 of 9,047

I have Audirvana Plus and I love the option for iTunes integration and also the simple and direct drag, drop, and play playlist when not integrated with iTunes.

+1. I use Audirvana Plus and I like the iTunes integration. Most of the time I just drag files and play. Works with most types of music files including FLAC, SACD ISO.

Aug 13, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #264 of 9,047

Music, to me, being ethereal and fleeting, hard to assess, is a subjective matter left to individual taste  unless  some finer gears come along to point out the finer things of music. My old experience on redbook was that of a ghost – a disemboweled spirit that rather disturbed my peace and soul –if I may describe my anxiety after a session of listening. After a hiatus of five years, when my SACD players died on me, the nano revived my interest in music. Its very sound alone then, made me look forward to owning its bigger brother, the micro. As excellent  the nano is, and enjoyable in all my listening sessions - if I may compare its magic to a beautiful apparition, the micro on  the other hand   ........in spite of the original sin – addition, subtraction in the mastering ....works wonder to reconcile  body and soul for the music  reincarnation around my speakers...  and at this early stage  this makes me look forward, wondering also, to what forthcoming little miracle could the Mini iDSD be performing....meanwhile there are many hours yet of enjoyable listening on weekends to fully burn-in the micro....and learn more of it.

Hi Lakai,

Glad to hear you have many hours enjoying the music, as I am.   Yes indeed the sound of the iDSD Micro is already a little miracle, can't imagine what the Mini iDSD will bring.

We get to enjoy wonderful music while we wait.

Aug 13, 2014 at 7:54 PM Post #265 of 9,047
Folks, (yes I am legit all Southern USA, so I reserve the right to use the colloquialism, :) )

My my oh my.  The computer audio world is full of landmines.  Specifically, NOISE.  Switching mode power supplies, internal PC power supplies, dubious internal shielding and isolation, etc. etc, etc.
But today was not another exercise in futility.  I have had a very, very slight amount of EMI noise coming through my speakers.  Have been spending hours trying to track it down.  After re-arranging my various switched mode power supplies, placing components on different surge protectors, and using a few (hopefully safe enough) ground lifts, I killed it.  The noise, that is.  

Now what does this have to do with iFi?  A LOT, let me tell you.  In trying to nail this thing down, I took the iUSB Power out of the signal chain.  My, my oh my.  What a mess of noise that was!  iUSB back in, the noise drops to something you can only hear within a foot or so of the speaker.  The thing really works!  But being a perfectionist, I knew I could do even better.  So now, you can only hear a slight hiss when you put your ear right on the tweeter.  Just as it should be, that is, at least with the particular amp I am using.  

Will the iFi iUSB help you?  Very well it could.  It performs exactly as specified in my noisy system.  Highly recommended product.  

iFi.  Inexpensive audio that continues to impress.....

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #267 of 9,047
  Yeah, the problem is that pop noise appears during the playing. I don't know why does change dsd>pcm>dad. 

I use ver. 1.5.12.  I think it is my iMac problem.. I changed a setting and it disappeared until now.

What settings are you using? I'm on MacBook Pro Retina late 2012 > Audirvana + 1.5.10 (DSD over PCM Standard setting) > idi Micro iDSD. 
It pops every hi-res track on every album. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 3:00 AM Post #268 of 9,047
Just opened the box for my micro iDSD this morning and can't wait for the 1st charging to finish. I recently tried a TotalDAC D1 usb cable with the nano iDSD that gave some impressive sonic fireworks - wondering how it will be with the micro iDSD. :)

Aug 14, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #269 of 9,047
  iFi Audio,

what is the intended behavior of the top LED, when Power Mode has detected there is no incoming digital signal over USB (after 3 minutes?)?

My use case:  connect iPhone to micro iDSD at night, set up a 1hr playlist to doze off to sleep with IEMs.
in the morning, the micro iDSD LED is blinking green.

so I'm unsure if the micro iDSD is truly going into a hibernate/sleep mode?  or is actually chewing up it's battery all night...

thanks,

Hi,

Blinking green with iPhone attached = sleeping and NOT charging.

However in this state the iDSD micro will keep the USB alive (it must do so under USB standards while connected), so around 150mA will be consumed, 10 hours in this state will consume appx 30% of the battery charge.

Too many combinations - such a small device and all that.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back