iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM Post #241 of 9,047
Hey do not put down your Kef's! :beerchug:   Almost brought a pair of Kef speakers a while back. I do find that the3D in speaker mode more useful than in headphone mode.

:beerchug: i had a micro iCan a while ago, with 2 levels of 3D. i did not use it a lot , and it was confusing, more 3D... less 3D, not my kind of thing, but with on/off on the iDSD works for me. the ears can decide what sounds best, and listening to music is highly subjective anyway

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #242 of 9,047
My micro iDSD is currently doing battle with my other two much more expensive DACs for supremacy in my desktop system. For comparisons I'm using the direct-mode with no headphone plugged into the headphone jack. Its got an ifi iUSB Power->Gemini-> iDSD->RCAs->amp. The iDSD is holding its own and it actually wins with DSD material. The iDSD does absolutely nothing wrong. Its sins are those of omission, the only possible criticism so far is that might be a bit too polite. But still, has a very natural sound that is intriguing. I will plan for the mini iDSD which will hopefully have a form factor allowing far more connectivity. Still, the micro iDSD is really brilliant as a dedicated DAC. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #244 of 9,047
Can you compare the Micro to your [COLOR=6A6A6A]NAD M51, with PCM?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=6A6A6A]Thanks.[/COLOR]

Dude will you ever post something besides a request to "compare A to B", in any thread here?
#tiresome

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #245 of 9,047

Hearing differences in filter settings can be a difficult task, imo.  I think to do so requires sufficiently revealing gear.  Combined with my Grado RS1 headphones, or with my Bowers & Wilkins bookshelves, the iDSD Micro is quite able to reveal differences in filters.  Not so much with my Sennheiser HD558 headphones, which are a quite forgiving and not very revealing headphone.  

That said, the biggest difference to be heard is between 'Standard' and 'Bit-Perfect'.  In standard, well, it sounds more, ahem, digital.  Things with a lot of high frequency content, like cymbals, sound a tick less natural, with a certain 'edge' or 'digital fuzz' that is just characteristic of digital.  In bit perfect, much of this is remedied.  It sounds smoother, more natural, less dirty.  Decays are smooth, not 'noisy'.

It is actually a difficult observation to put into words.  You just have to hear it for yourself to really understand. 

Thanks!
Somehow the naming for those filters are not common, and I can't seem to find the technical explanation for those filters.

Really appreciate if ifi could give use some technical explanation for those filters.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #246 of 9,047

Thanks!
Somehow the naming for those filters are not common, and I can't seem to find the technical explanation for those filters.

Really appreciate if ifi could give use some technical explanation for those filters.

This should help a bit. Gives a bit of background to the minimum phase and bit perfect filter.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-phase-2-measurements-of-the-nano-idsd-for-a-bit-of-fun-page-119/1050#post_10662147

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #247 of 9,047
Like all the impressions with speakers. Keep em coming guys.

Quote:
  Hey do not put down your Kef's!
beerchug.gif
  Almost brought a pair of Kef speakers a while back. I do find that the3D in speaker mode more useful than in headphone mode.

Well from all the good feedback here... one cannot help but wonder what the micro idsd does for your jbl lsr3xx. Does it strengthen it's midfield performance, widen the sweet "area" etc?

Aug 10, 2014 at 12:26 AM Post #248 of 9,047

This should help a bit. Gives a bit of background to the minimum phase and bit perfect filter.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/711217/idsd-micro-crowd-designed-phase-2-measurements-of-the-nano-idsd-for-a-bit-of-fun-page-119/1050#post_10662147

Thanks a lot for the link!
beerchug.gif

Still, it is not a very technical explanation 
wink_face.gif

Maybe the technical info is confidential.

Aug 11, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #251 of 9,047
Aug 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #252 of 9,047
Has anyone have a problem like me?

I got the micro idsd. When play a DSD file, sometimes it makes a pop noise. the ifi's led turn to yellow, and return cyan.

I don't know when the noise appear, but it appears only DSD. 

I use a iMac > audirvana > micro idsd.

Is it a audirvana setting problem? or just my iMac problem..?  

Aug 11, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #253 of 9,047
You getting the pop because it is changing from PCM to DSD.  This does not always happen and can vary depending on the software and hardware. I noticed that audirvana tries to fix the popping noise from version  1.5.8

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #254 of 9,047
  You getting the pop because it is changing from PCM to DSD.  This does not always happen and can vary depending on the software and hardware. I noticed that audirvana tries to fix the popping noise from version  1.5.8

I also get the pop when playing files from the Onkyo HF Player on iPad, even when changing from one DSD song to the next or pausing and restarting a song (when the album plays through the tracks itself i only get the pop at the beginning of the first song).
I think the problem is that the software loses synch with the DSD file. I hope software like the Onkyo HF Player will catch up with that.

Right now I have to mute my system before I press play because the pop is quiet loud. 

Aug 11, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #255 of 9,047
Yeah, the problem is that pop noise appears during the playing. I don't know why does change dsd>pcm>dad. 

I use ver. 1.5.12.  I think it is my iMac problem.. I changed a setting and it disappeared until now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back