iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Aug 9, 2014 at 4:48 AM Post #226 of 9,047

I hear very large differences in PCM music between "Bit Perfect" and "Minimum Phase", which my is 2nd choice.  Bit Perfect sounds very clear and crisp, while Minimum Phase has a bit of a rolled-off, softer treble profile.  I prefer Bit Perfect, but find some 44/16 music sounds better with the Minimum Phase filter - glad to have both :)

The same here. Some of the older PCM recordings sounds better on Minimum Phase. This might be due to poor treble quality like tape noise on some recording. I also find that Minimum Phase is more "quiet" or a darker background in some cases. That seems to be depend on what  playback software is being used. I am finding this out and checking on the repeatability on the results on various software . This is going to take some time.  I have to rebuilt my music library since some trial software like Music Bee made a mess.  I have to revert all the changes the software made and to the system. I always make a total system image before checking out new software.

I do find that the phase switch setting is subtle from what I am hearing, but still in the early stages of evaluating.

Aug 9, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #228 of 9,047
Vox, Audirvana Plus, Pure Music, etc... and HQPLayer If you want "convert on the fly" all your music to DSD (I'm doing this with Mytek and Yulong, waiting to decide whether to buy the Micro...). 

Aug 9, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #230 of 9,047
Which is smoother, faster and lighter? Thanks!

I have Audirvana Plus and I love the option for iTunes integration and also the simple and direct drag, drop, and play playlist when not integrated with iTunes.

Aug 9, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #231 of 9,047
Aug 9, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #235 of 9,047
As far as filters are concerned, yes, there indeed is a slight treble roll-off in Min. Phase.  

I expected this in Bitperfect, but honestly I had not played around much with Min. Phase, and when I was doing listening tests, I was listening for other characteristics than frequency response.  

But I do hear it, yes.  Standard is the the most bright and brilliant.  But at the expense of some 'digit-itis'.

I also want to note for anyone considering this product, that the standard filter setting and any perceived weaknesses associated with it has nothing to do with iFi's implementation at all, other than the fact that they offer the option to use it.  

What I mean is, the standard filter and its 'ringing' is something standard for all of Hi-fi, not just i-Fi!  

It seems every hi-fi company truly interested in maximum fidelity has some kind of 'solution' to the standard filter problem.  iFi's choice is the non-oversampling BitPerfect mode, followed by Min. Phase.

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #236 of 9,047
speaking of stock, if you live in the US of A and want an iDSD micro, I spoke to Avatar Acoustics just a couple days ago about buying a second iDSD Micro to be used in my main hi-fi.  Yes, that is how much I like this thing!  

They still have some stock of the Octa special editions, but are out of T-shirts.  If you want the hardware, but are okay waiting on a t-shirt, give them a call!

Aug 9, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #239 of 9,047
speaking of stock, if you live in the US of A and want an iDSD micro, I spoke to Avatar Acoustics just a couple days ago about buying a second iDSD Micro to be used in my main hi-fi.  Yes, that is how much I like this thing!  

They still have some stock of the Octa special editions, but are out of T-shirts.  If you want the hardware, but are okay waiting on a t-shirt, give them a call!

I am using the micro IDSD in my HiFi right now, I have it connected to my streamer via a coax digital cable. the micro is set to fixed direct RCA out and feeds into a Cyrus 8x amp. the sound is organic, effortless and just right. I Am usually not getting to excited about things, but right now i am. i have spend (wasted) years on listening to digital sound that was just not right, to bright and fatiguing ... this is good, really good i just stopped worrying about my rather "cheap" set of KEF Q500 speakers, they sound great now, the way they should be.

PS: i find the 3D setting in speaker mode useful. it works depending on what recording your listening to, its very subtle and does not change the characteristic of the recording but really sets up the image of the recorded sound nicely, right now listening to Charlie Haden "The Private Collection" with 3D on

Aug 9, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #240 of 9,047
Hey do not put down your Kef's!
beerchug.gif
  Almost brought a pair of Kef speakers a while back. I do find that the3D in speaker mode more useful than in headphone mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back