iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 12, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #1,906 of 9,047
What's the characteristics of bit-perfect? I'm familiar with Minimum Phase, how it's made, its technical characteristics.

But Bit Perfect I have no idea. You saying it's warmer than Minimum Phase?

iFi Audio's bit perfect has literally no filter at all. Its pure natural but theres slight hisses, only audible when silent on the Micro iDSD

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:59 AM Post #1,907 of 9,047
What's the characteristics of bit-perfect? I'm familiar with Minimum Phase, how it's made, its technical characteristics.

But Bit Perfect I have no idea. You saying it's warmer than Minimum Phase?

There are two camps on the belief of which of the two is warmer. 

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #1,908 of 9,047
iFi Audio's bit perfect has literally no filter at all. Its pure natural but theres slight hisses, only audible when silent on the Micro iDSD

I see. Thanks Billson.

Yeah makes sense it will have bit of noise as it has no filter, which means no oversampled noise that needs filtering.

Cheers.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:42 AM Post #1,909 of 9,047

I see. Thanks Billson.

Yeah makes sense it will have bit of noise as it has no filter, which means no oversampled noise that needs filtering.

Cheers.

Aye but whether that noise is audible even on silences is dependent on system. I hear it on my Philips Fidelio L2 even with mildly condensed passages but only evident in pure silence with my Alpha Dog. Someone here with the LCD-2 could only hear it in silence when the volume would be at deafening levels.

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #1,910 of 9,047
i was wondering whats the correct way to the ifi idsd together with alo mkb3 as i am by amping

my set up is

ipod---ifi---alo rx mk3----audeze

what is the best button configuration like ( direct or preamp ) and the remaining buttons is their a specific confiquration for biamping

thanks 

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:51 PM Post #1,911 of 9,047
  i was wondering whats the correct way to the ifi idsd together with alo mkb3 as i am by amping

my set up is

ipod---ifi---alo rx mk3----audeze

what is the best button configuration like ( direct or preamp ) and the remaining buttons is their a specific confiquration for biamping

thanks 

Direct should have slightly better quality over preamp but you wouldn't be able to use XBass or 3D. Choice of digital filter would be dependent on your tastes. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 1:57 PM Post #1,912 of 9,047

Direct should have slightly better quality over preamp but you wouldn't be able to use XBass or 3D. Choice of digital filter would be dependent on your tastes. 

i hope someone from ifi can help or users who know the answer

my setup simply is

ipod---cck----idsd---then i use a 3.5mm cable interconnect to connect the ifi dsd to the alo mk3 ( from ifi headphone out to alo amp in section ) 

so i really appreciate if someone can tell me what setup to use

also i dont understand u mean with direct i can not use xbass or 3D

can I with preamp use xbass and 3D 

Dec 13, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #1,913 of 9,047
  i hope someone from ifi can help or users who know the answer

my setup simply is

ipod---cck----idsd---then i use a 3.5mm cable interconnect to connect the ifi dsd to the alo mk3 ( from ifi headphone out to alo amp in section ) 

so i really appreciate if someone can tell me what setup to use

also i dont understand u mean with direct i can not use xbass or 3D

can I with preamp use xbass and 3D 

Oh. Direct and Preamp is only for the RCA outputs at the back. I don't think double amping is the best as it may add extra distortion and a lot more signal path. What you want is a RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect your iDSD's DAC section to the ALO mk3. Direct has a line-level output of 2Vrms which is the standard for most DACs. When it is on Direct, it's basically DAC chips to RCA output. When it is on preamp mode, it's DAC chips to volume potentiometer to RCA output. It's a preamp obviously because you can control the DAC output from the iDSD. Preamp on Eco would have a Max output of 2Vrms (volume pot at the max). Normal and Turbo (just keep it at normal) on Preamp has a max output of 5.5Vrms (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Since the volume potentiometer is active, Xbass and 3D can be turned on. These two have no effect on Direct. Since you're going to be using an external headphone amp, I suggest either Direct mode RCA output to your amp's 3.5mm input OR if you want to use XBass or 3D, Preamp on Eco turned to the maximum point so still 2Vrms with the desired Xbass or 3D. 

Dec 13, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #1,914 of 9,047

Oh. Direct and Preamp is only for the RCA outputs at the back. I don't think double amping is the best as it may add extra distortion and a lot more signal path. What you want is a RCA to 3.5mm cable to connect your iDSD's DAC section to the ALO mk3. Direct has a line-level output of 2Vrms which is the standard for most DACs. When it is on Direct, it's basically DAC chips to RCA output. When it is on preamp mode, it's DAC chips to volume potentiometer to RCA output. It's a preamp obviously because you can control the DAC output from the iDSD. Preamp on Eco would have a Max output of 2Vrms (volume pot at the max). Normal and Turbo (just keep it at normal) on Preamp has a max output of 5.5Vrms (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Since the volume potentiometer is active, Xbass and 3D can be turned on. These two have no effect on Direct. Since you're going to be using an external headphone amp, I suggest either Direct mode RCA output to your amp's 3.5mm input OR if you want to use XBass or 3D, Preamp on Eco turned to the maximum point so still 2Vrms with the desired Xbass or 3D. 

thanks so much for explaining this, i don't know why i prefer preamp, as i still have access to xbass and 3d, although the 3d in preamp does not sound as good as when i use the idsd alone with 3d turned on

Dec 13, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,915 of 9,047

thanks so much for explaining this, i don't know why i prefer preamp, as i still have access to xbass and 3d, although the 3d in preamp does not sound as good as when i use the idsd alone with 3d turned on

If you use preamp on the micro iDSD, wouldn't it be better if you just max out the volume on the Alo? This way, the Alo functions as a "power amp".

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #1,916 of 9,047

Pre-amp's 3D and XBass are designed for speakers. If you are using it wit headphone, it will definitely sound weird :)

If you wish to bypass the iDSD's amp section and cnnect to another amplifier that you prefered better to power your headphone, switch the output RCA to direct and get a RCA to 3.5mm cable for your amp.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #1,917 of 9,047
I am having a very hard time choosing between idsd micro vs modi/magni? Anyone heard both by any chance? Thx

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #1,918 of 9,047
I am having a very hard time choosing between idsd micro vs modi/magni? Anyone heard both by any chance? Thx

The iDSD has been compared to DACs considerably better than the Modi (e.g. Concero HD, kilo-buck DACs). One user prefers the iDSD's amp section over the Asgard 2. post #853 Maybe you should wait for the Modi 2 and Magni 2 which seem promising. It's still possible that the iFi would be much better unless the new M&M are giant killers.

Dec 14, 2014 at 2:45 AM Post #1,919 of 9,047
Pre-amp's 3D and XBass are designed for speakers. If you are using it wit headphone, it will definitely sound weird
smily_headphones1.gif

If you wish to bypass the iDSD's amp section and cnnect to another amplifier that you prefered better to power your headphone, switch the output RCA to direct and get a RCA to 3.5mm cable for your amp.

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Maybe if he chose to double amp, the XBass and 3D features utilized would remain as the one designed for headphones. That is if he's open to double amping which I'm personally against. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:12 AM Post #1,920 of 9,047
Maybe if he chose to double amp, the XBass and 3D features utilized would remain as the one designed for headphones. That is if he's open to double amping which I'm personally against. 

If he max out the volume of the micro iDSD, would that still be considered double amping? In the nano iDSD, maxing out its volume would make it exactly like a DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back