iFi iDSD Micro DSD512 / PCM768 DAC and Headphone Amp. Impressions, Reviews and Comments.
Dec 11, 2014 at 3:42 AM Post #1,891 of 9,047
The iFi micro iDSD's 3D option is perfect for your HP, IMHO. It adds a bit of treble to create that 3D holographic sound. So you won't be disappointed IMHO.

Thanks for the input . Will the 3D effect distort the imaging and sound stage or alter the shape of vocals(just like what Sony's clear audio + did)? Thx in advance.

Dec 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #1,892 of 9,047
Hello all.  Sorry it has been a long time since I have made any contributions to this thread!  I just wanted to make an update saying I am enjoying the iDSD Micro as much as ever, and that the latest firmware/software updates really smoothed over the user experience!  Changing from formats to format, sample rate to sample rate is clean and quiet, regardless of driver or protocol choice!  The product isn't 'perfect', no, but in its current state is one helluva product.  iFi continues to impress, as well, with their customer support.  They listen to their customers, and 'fix' what needs fixing if it can be fixed.  

Secondly..

I would like to report on one upgrade the produced a MAJOR upgrade in sound quality!  I use a 'general purpose' PC with the iDSD, and as such it isn't the best audiophile environment.  I already use the iUSB power and the Gemini cable in an effort to isolate DAC from the PC, but I went one step further this week by adding a Corning Optical USB cable..

http://www.corning.com/opcomm/OpticalCablesbyCorning/products/USB-3.Optical.aspx#.VInkHTHF9rI

The Corning cable converts the USB signal from electical to optical.  Therefore any EMI on the data line is 'left behind', as the optical fibers do not transmit EMI, only data.

Now, the WEAKNESS in the Corning cable is that is still uses a couple small copper wires that carry USB power in order to power the cable electronics on either end.  To get around this weakness, I inserted the cable after the iUSB, plugging it into the data port, and then plugging the iFi Gemini cable into the 'receptacle OTG' end of the Corning cable.  

So now, the idea is that any EMI that was on the data line is isolated from the DAC, and the power that runs through the Corning USB is 'clean' power provided by the iUSB.  

The change is sound after putting in the Optical USB cable is not trivial.  The soundstage got much larger.  Environmental cues, ambience etc. increased.  The sound lost some edge.. the treble sounds so natural and smooth.  Tiny details I never heard before are coming out of my favorite soundtracks.  

If you have a 'dirty' source like mine, before you invest in a CAPS or some other audiophile PC, or before you get something like the new Auralic Aries, I encourage you to give an iFi iUSB, Gemini cable and Corning USB Optical cable a try.  

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #1,894 of 9,047
Indeed!!  You have to use it with external power.  I haven't tried to plug it in directly and use battery power.  I assume it might work until the battery runs out.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #1,895 of 9,047

The Corning cable sounds very interesting... I've always wanted the flexibility of using a computer as a source, and if this works to keep EMI away from my DAC's (for a price much less than the TotalDAC USB filter that I have), then I'm all for it.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #1,896 of 9,047
Question for all - how is everyone enjoying the PCM playback on their micro iDSD? If I remember correctly, the micro plays PCM natively using it's DSD1793 chip. Does that mean it operates as a NOS DAC with PCM?

The reason I'm asking is that I have quite a few other iFi components around the house, so someone suggested that I connect them up to a battery powered NOS DAC (quite inexpensive, but technically good implementation of Philips TDA1543 chip) to compare the sound to a micro iDSD.

I used Audirvana+ to dither everything to 96kHz and then used a Kingrex split USB cable, connected to an iUSBPower to feed an iPurifier plugged into an iLink. This was connected by coax SPDIF to the NOS DAC, with output to an iTUBE.

This gave extremely punchy bass and nice resolution - with only some muddiness playing complex music. It was thoroughly enjoyable - but the system was complex with all the pieces involved.

I tried the micro iDSD in this setup using the SPDIF, with the result being much less punchy, but more resolution and airiness.

Taking the iPurifier and iLink out of the chain, so that the micro is fed a USB only diet gave more or less the same result.

This doesn't change how much I enjoy the micro, but the punchy bass and tones of the NOS DAC were definitely addictive.

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,897 of 9,047
  Question for all - how is everyone enjoying the PCM playback on their micro iDSD? If I remember correctly, the micro plays PCM natively using it's DSD1793 chip. Does that mean it operates as a NOS DAC with PCM?

The reason I'm asking is that I have quite a few other iFi components around the house, so someone suggested that I connect them up to a battery powered NOS DAC (quite inexpensive, but technically good implementation of Philips TDA1543 chip) to compare the sound to a micro iDSD.

I used Audirvana+ to dither everything to 96kHz and then used a Kingrex split USB cable, connected to an iUSBPower to feed an iPurifier plugged into an iLink. This was connected by coax SPDIF to the NOS DAC, with output to an iTUBE.

This gave extremely punchy bass and nice resolution - with only some muddiness playing complex music. It was thoroughly enjoyable - but the system was complex with all the pieces involved.

I tried the micro iDSD in this setup using the SPDIF, with the result being much less punchy, but more resolution and airiness.

Taking the iPurifier and iLink out of the chain, so that the micro is fed a USB only diet gave more or less the same result.

This doesn't change how much I enjoy the micro, but the punchy bass and tones of the NOS DAC were definitely addictive.

The Micro iDSD has iPurifier technology built-in, so there is no need / benefit to add it externally - probably adding too much "filtering" at that point.

If you set the PCM filter to "Bit Perfect", I believe it acts as an NOS DAC (i.e., no filtering, no upsampling), so you have the opportunity to set your filters and up sampling as you wish via Audirvana without any additional processing on the Micro.

. . .and, yes, I am enjoying PCM playback :wink:

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #1,898 of 9,047
The Micro iDSD has iPurifier technology built-in, so there is no need / benefit to add it externally - probably adding too much "filtering" at that point.

If you set the PCM filter to "Bit Perfect", I believe it acts as an NOS DAC (i.e., no filtering, no upsampling), so you have the opportunity to set your filters and up sampling as you wish via Audirvana without any additional processing on the Micro.

+1 to the above.

Enjoy using it as a DAC standalone for both PCM and DSD. Very natural DAC, great soundstage, details are all there!

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #1,899 of 9,047

Indeed!

My usual way of using the micro iDSD is with a TotalDAC USB filter cable only, and PCM playback using the Bit Perfect filter. Love it this way. I had tried a quick one-to-one swap, and ended up with a few too many iPurifiers in my earlier post.

So if this is a type of "NOS" also - I'm still curious how the other NOS DAC that I tried (with the TDA1543 chip) managed to give much more hard hitting bass. Must be something particular about the implementation.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #1,900 of 9,047
Thanks for the input . Will the 3D effect distort the imaging and sound stage or alter the shape of vocals(just like what Sony's clear audio + did)? Thx in advance.

The 3D effect doesn't add any distortion at all that I can ever tell. It does seem to increase the treble which can reveal more harshness/distortions in the recording, however.
It's a wonderful feature.. I really enjoy it for live music. Makes you feel like you're there.

And the Bit-Perfect filter and the XBass is to DIE for if you ask me. Honestly this is one of the best values I've ever seen in the audio world.. certainly that I've ever purchased.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #1,901 of 9,047
  so conclusion for warmest full bodied sound settings is it

Normal--- minimum phase, and iem match off   ??????

I've done a lot of switching back and forth between Minimum Phase and Bit-Perfect, and I have actually extremely sensitive ears when it comes to the high frequencies, and I've found Bit-Perfect to be the most pleasant, warmest sound. Bit-Perfect has been a life saver for me.. truly. I can listen to music at least 2-3x as long. And it's not like my headphones are shrill as is(Audeze LCD-X), but it definitely helps.

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:53 AM Post #1,902 of 9,047
This is why in this hobby one must always listen and determine for them selves what's good or not. From what I just read you and I are on opposite sides of the canyon. Now don't takenthis is your wrong , your not . It's more like what we want. I have been to people's homes to where there system and its nothing I like but if they Hurd mine they would not like it either. We must fine some people we grow to feel have ears or a brain that puts us in sync with what they like . No in doing this we can then us ether to help judge.
For me the ifi does DSd very well but it's pcm is nice or polite not for me. It's too warm and makes the magic almost vague . Using the 3D setting is the only way to help it or some eq from the transport. I have always said we hear different but get trashed for it. The SW,s you refer to do little to chAnge much . Not saying they do nothing but it's subtle for sure.
Still it's a cool device for 500 usd.
Al

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM Post #1,903 of 9,047
I am too planning to pair iDSD Micro with a SONY MDR-Z7. I have ordered Z7 but not iDSD yet. Any further input on this combo is greatly appreciated!

Given the the extremely positive feedbacks on PHA3 & Z7 combo, I do concern a bit about the bass will be overwhelmed and the high will be rolled off from a Z7&iDSD combo.

It might be a better match for Z7, but the dac/amp alone, I do believe iDSD Micro is much more flexible&powerful and the PHA 3 is apparently over priced compared to IFI product. I am kinda of in pain to choose between these two......
smily_headphones1.gif
help me out please......
deadhorse.gif
thanks.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I haven't heard the PHA3 so can't really advise you on that. For me the ifi has replaced my Hugo for portable use as I prefer the sound of the ifi to my Hugo.

That's just me, some people would disagree but for the price the ifi is a massive bargain.

You have nothing to lose trying out the ifi with the Z7 first.

Good luck with search.

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #1,904 of 9,047
I've done a lot of switching back and forth between Minimum Phase and Bit-Perfect, and I have actually extremely sensitive ears when it comes to the high frequencies, and I've found Bit-Perfect to be the most pleasant, warmest sound. Bit-Perfect has been a life saver for me.. truly. I can listen to music at least 2-3x as long. And it's not like my headphones are shrill as is(Audeze LCD-X), but it definitely helps.

What's the characteristics of bit-perfect? I'm familiar with Minimum Phase, how it's made, its technical characteristics.

But Bit Perfect I have no idea. You saying it's warmer than Minimum Phase?

Dec 12, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #1,905 of 9,047
i just love this ifi best thing i bought in 2014

really meets all my needs

i really wish one day and see a DAP from ifi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back