iFi Hip-DAC Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #736 of 768
hip-dac 2's specs list 400mW@32Ω for its 4.4mm output and 280mW@32Ω for its single-ended output. I'm pretty sure that upon connecting your cans to the former socket you'll tap into its power regardless of an adapter, but I'll double-check that with our R&D if that's okay. Thanks!
Hello,
Sounds good, thank you.🙏👍

Apr 28, 2022 at 10:56 AM Post #737 of 768
Hello,
Sounds good, thank you.🙏👍

OK, time to clarify and fix my previous post. Single-ended headphones will rely on hip-dac 2's single-ended headphone amp portion regardless of its outputs. Your headphones' termination determines which hip-dac 2's circuit will be engaged, not its sockets. Hope this helps, thanks!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 28, 2022 at 11:54 AM Post #738 of 768
OK, time to clarify and fix my previous post. Single-ended headphones will rely on hip-dac 2's single-ended headphone amp portion regardless of its outputs. Your headphones' termination determines which hip-dac 2's circuit will be engaged, not its sockets. Hope this helps, thanks!
Hello
Thank you for the feedback.🙏👍

Okay that means it doesn't matter if I use your Ifi adapter Pentacon to 3.5.
I have understood that the hint was also made clear on your page that it is not possible to have a balanced circuit, so to speak, with the adapter.

The only question I had was whether the adapter would give me 400mW@32Ω power instead of 280mW@32Ω from the single ended Hip 2 (i.e. unbalanced operation) or would it remain throttled to 280mW@32Ω?

If I understood correctly, I would have to make a separate cable for the Aeon with a Pentacon connection in order to access the full power.

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #739 of 768
If I understood correctly, I would have to make a separate cable for the Aeon with a Pentacon connection in order to access the full power.

This is correct!

Jul 17, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #742 of 768
Do you recommend upgrading to the Hip Dac 2 if I already have this one? Also, do you offer a Bluetooth headphone amp/Dac combo that has a 4.4mm connector for my Sony MDR-Z1R?

Jul 17, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #743 of 768
Do you recommend upgrading to the Hip Dac 2 if I already have this one?

Our hip-dac 2 is better than its predecessor, but if it serves you well, you're sorted then :)

Also, do you offer a Bluetooth headphone amp/Dac combo that has a 4.4mm connector for my Sony MDR-Z1R?

Yup, we have two:

- GO blu (affordable and tiny)
- xDSD Gryphon (less affordable and bigger :wink: )

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 17, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #744 of 768
Hello,
I have given the Ifi Hip Dac 2 a little more time and also dealt with the problem more on Android.
As mentioned before I have installed the update 7.4 Gto where mostly fixed most of it.
Earlier I connected the Hip 2 to my work tablet and pressed play and saw that it didn't switch to Mqa on the tracks.
The light on the Hip 2 was white and I ran it.That's where I noticed this stumbling.

Now the question is, of course, did my tablet not understand or did the Hip 2 not understand that something was happening?
The other question now is that I suspect this stumbling is caused when it doesn't switch because most of the tracks on Tidal are on Mqa so I think there is a problem.
I don't think it's coming from the Hip 2 itself, it's trying to convert of course because it recognises the Mqa codec and there's a conflict somewhere in the transport.
It could be hardware related from the android device to the tidal app.
On my android phone it was similar mostly the problems with stumbling occur more when the lamp is white on the Hip 2.
I have to say I haven't set anything on the phone yet.
When I looked in the settings, I couldn't set anything on the Samsung A5 like bit perfect or something like that. The function is probably not supported or has been blocked.
I would like to see if it also occurs with YouTube videos or not, I lacked some time the last few days.
I almost suspect that it tends to have more to do with the Tidal app and not the Hip 2 itself.
Because I'm currently streaming my playlists with my phone and it's all fine, even if it doesn't convert to Mqa.
It's a bit strange, but most of the interference was on the Samsung work tablet.
What has helped so far is simply unplugging the Usb C plug, waiting a moment and plugging it back in.
And then it converted everything as it should.

Purple, blue, green and white without any problems in streaming and offline without any problems.
Nothing happens with the smartphone, but that's not tragic because it's already old and will be replaced at some point.
I haven't experienced any of these problems on the iPad since the update.
Everything runs wonderfully there and from a personal point of view I prefer to listen to music.

Let's take a quick look at the sound and operation.

I have let the Hip 2 run for well over 50 hours and am already close to the 100h burn in recommended by Ifi.
At the beginning, the sound was a bit harsh.
This subsided after 20 hours and became better after 50 hours.
It became softer and silkier and no longer hard.
Of course, this is subjective.

For just under $200, it's a really worthwhile dwarf in terms of sound.
It also makes the one or other amplifier for 500$ look old.
I am amazed at how good the little one sounds and have fallen in love with it.
I listened to it with the Aeon R/T via a 3.5 mm jack. All in all, the Ify Hip Dac 2 reminds me tonally of the Wolfson chip 8740 series, only better.
The resolution is really very good and superior to any dac dongel I've had so far.
The mids and highs are also above the dac dongle and overall well balanced, tending to be gentle and not aggressive where any flight, train journey or hotel stay will cause relaxation.
The bass is a bit of a weak point without Xbass for me personally.
It could be a bit more prominent without the Xbass, even if it could be fixed quickly at the touch of a button.
Sometimes it's too much even when it's on.
Xbass is a nice to have in that respect.
It would be nice if they would do something about it in version 3.
Or maybe via an update.
I would have liked a little more bass without Xbass and when Xbass is pressed it is extended so that it doesn't roll over or become exaggerated.
Similar to Loundness, roughly speaking.

Imatch:

Interesting button.
Without Imatch, it drives the Aeon R/T amazingly well.
With the Podi I can turn it all the way up to have it loud enough without Imatch.
If I press imatch after turning back the potentiometer and set the volume again as I want it, I end up at 12 o'clock to light up everything and that's quite enough and I have a bit more headroom.
And I still have enough reserves to go louder again, mind you under the 3.5 mm socket not Pentacon.
There, imatch would probably be almost unnecessary and possibly extend the battery life.
That too is somehow a nice to have.

Poti:
I find this a bit unfortunate.
You switch on the hip via the potentiometer and then nothing happens until 9 o'clock, probably on purpose to control the circuits.
It's irritating at first, but you get used to it and forget about it.
I don't know if a switch-on button in version 3 would be better.
Or to stick with the concept of protecting the earpiece and headphones from hearing damage when everything is connected.
In the end I have to say it is well thought out, admittedly.

Running time:
I honestly didn't pay much attention to it.
4 hours were in any case without having to recharge.
And later I listened to it for another 2 hours and had to plug it in at some point.
Of course it depends on how you listen and whether it has to unfold or not with the Mqa.
I think it's great that it's enough to plug in the charging plug and the fun continues and you can continue listening to music.
Unfortunately, the indicator for the charging status is behind the socket.
I would have liked it better if it was in the front where you can see everything.
A kind of beep that informs you when the battery is jammed would also be nice, just as an idea.
Another thing to mention is that the Hip 2 doesn't affect the battery of the player, even though it is connected via USB.
On my Ipad mini, it once ran for over 4 hours and used just 6% of the Ipad's power for playing.

Operation, cable, scope of delivery:

The operation is mainly self-explanatory.
The conversion colours are quickly learned by heart.
Two or three things have to be read in the manual, which is okay, because you should spend 10 minutes with it.
The cables are a bit annoying.
On the train, I need more space than I would like in the tightest of spaces.
I don't like to bend cables, eventually they break and you're left with nothing, usually at inopportune moments.
The cables are chosen so long that it fits with the smartphone but with a tablet they would have to be longer to be able to bend them sparingly.
It would be helpful to have a stretch band that you can always pull on and off.
Of course, you have to buy this separately, but it would be great to see it in the scope of delivery in the future.
Of course, it's a shame that nothing is included for Apple users.
You have to buy the expensive USB camera adapter because nothing else fits.
The noname products unfortunately don't have the right fit, otherwise a 10$ adapter would probably also work.
A proprietary Ifi adapter Usb male to Usb male would simplify matters.
Otherwise, the scope of delivery is sufficient for Android-based devices and there is nothing to complain about.

Finally, MQA:

For a long time I resisted it.
Nevertheless, I have to say that Tidal customers who also use mobile devices will get their money's worth with the Hip 2.
I have to say that, because you are the winner on the mobile level.
You don't sacrifice sound and you can enjoy it on the go with all the depth and goodness it offers.
Why I say that is simple,my phone stays limited to 16/48 and doesn't pass anything on and still hear certain differences.
The illumination of the stage and the depth of the stage is somewhat greater than Mqa, which seemed to me to be the most noticeable.
Also the seperation seems to be better separated among each other and appears more clearly.
It's not the ultimate difference, but it is noticeable, and I find myself saying that something is different between the tablet and the smartphone, but you quickly get used to it.
And the Hip 2 masters it with flying colours, I have to say.
So for mobile use it's good, also for the memory and data volume, which is supposed to be less.
For home use, MQA would not be for me, I'll be honest.
Ifi has also released an update for non MQA friends.
The update turns MQA off for those who don't want it.
And leaves it up to the customer to decide.
This is another thing that Ifi has to praise for its customers.
You are not forced to do anything.

Conclusion:

As already mentioned, I am genuinely amazed by the poison dwarf.
What Ifi has done has a showcase character that one would also wish for from other manufacturers.
Just being represented in forums and giving help can be more than just praised.
In the end, offering a mobile amplifier at this level with this price will also cause the Chinese market to stumble.
To switch off Mqa by update, to improve their products even after longer releases by update or to correct errors can only be praised.
The workmanship is also of the highest level, everything is nice to look at and conveys good control in operation.
The rattling when shaking is normal and comes from the buttons.
It takes only a short time to get used to it, and you quickly become familiar with everything.
The sound is really good and works very well.
The tuning of the Burr Brown chip is also excellent and even better than the old chip versions known from the Fostex Hp A4, for example.
You get good audio for the money and a solid mobile headphone amplifier that supports all current formats.
That it also drives a hungry Aeon R/T surprised me.
Even if the main focus is more on IEM's, it also drives over ear headphones.
It has to be said that it has its limits somewhere, even with the 3.5 mm jack.
It's a pity I don't have a cable with a 3.5 jack for my Lcd 2C to hear how it performs there.
In general, it can be used for a small budget and non-mobile home use.
Which you can't blame it for as it has a lot going for it.
By the way, it also supports the Playstation 4&5, which was not really mentioned, but it was important to mention.
Because all Playstation owners know exactly how bad the sound from the Playstation can be.
As I don't have one at the moment I couldn't test it.
I assume that it works.
I'm glad I bought it.
I've always been a fan of dongels but their performance is often limited so the sound can be too thin on the move.
With the Hip 2, such things are a thing of the past.
The small one will stay, also because the sockets are robust - even if it takes up a bit of space I can live with it.
I'm looking forward to the Hip 3 when it comes out.
It is also a solid base for beginners and women would also like it because it is so small and fits in almost every handbag.

Future and vision:
A Hip 3 with display would be a dream, or even something like a Hip Dap.
I would be a buyer of a Dap with a solid system.
What I have seen so far I don't like so much about Daps.
And I could imagine seeing something from Ifi. Sound-wise alone, the basis would be there.

To be honest, I see the Hip 2 as technically better with any connected modern smartphone and tablet than a Dap with an outdated operating system with security gaps.
In principle it's the same except that you don't have everything in one hand but it's connected with a cable.
And the Hip 2 is quite a bit ahead of that, as is probably the Gryphon.
It even offers Bluetooth convenience.

Jul 17, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #745 of 768
I will never understand why so many choose to deal with MQA's complexity and headaches for any reason when a true open standard already exists with support nearly across the board and none of the headaches or vagaries.

Jul 18, 2022 at 12:00 AM Post #746 of 768
Our hip-dac 2 is better than its predecessor, but if it serves you well, you're sorted then :)

Yup, we have two:

- GO blu (affordable and tiny)
- xDSD Gryphon (less affordable and bigger :wink: )
Pardon, do they both output LDAC for my wireless Sony WH-1000XM5 headphones?

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #747 of 768
Hello,
I believe so, as both are bidirectional.
That means you connect your headphones to the Ify Gryphon/Blu and your smartphone/tablet and control it with that.

Otherwise, have a look on YouTube and see if you can find something about it if it's interesting for you.

Jul 18, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #748 of 768
Hello,
I believe so, as both are bidirectional.
That means you connect your headphones to the Ify Gryphon/Blu and your smartphone/tablet and control it with that.

Otherwise, have a look on YouTube and see if you can find something about it if it's interesting for you.
The Ifi Gryphon would be more ideal since I can power it by battery. I would prefer to charge it from my PC by USB.

Jul 18, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #749 of 768

Both these products feature BT receivers, not transmitters, thanks :)

Hello,
I have given the Ifi Hip Dac 2 a little more time and also dealt with the problem more on Android.
As mentioned before I have installed the update 7.4 Gto where mostly fixed most of it.
Earlier I connected the Hip 2 to my work tablet and pressed play and saw that it didn't switch to Mqa on the tracks.
The light on the Hip 2 was white and I ran it.That's where I noticed this stumbling.

Now the question is, of course, did my tablet not understand or did the Hip 2 not understand that something was happening?
The other question now is that I suspect this stumbling is caused when it doesn't switch because most of the tracks on Tidal are on Mqa so I think there is a problem.
I don't think it's coming from the Hip 2 itself, it's trying to convert of course because it recognises the Mqa codec and there's a conflict somewhere in the transport.
It could be hardware related from the android device to the tidal app.
On my android phone it was similar mostly the problems with stumbling occur more when the lamp is white on the Hip 2.
I have to say I haven't set anything on the phone yet.
When I looked in the settings, I couldn't set anything on the Samsung A5 like bit perfect or something like that. The function is probably not supported or has been blocked.
I would like to see if it also occurs with YouTube videos or not, I lacked some time the last few days.
I almost suspect that it tends to have more to do with the Tidal app and not the Hip 2 itself.
Because I'm currently streaming my playlists with my phone and it's all fine, even if it doesn't convert to Mqa.
It's a bit strange, but most of the interference was on the Samsung work tablet.
What has helped so far is simply unplugging the Usb C plug, waiting a moment and plugging it back in.
And then it converted everything as it should.

Purple, blue, green and white without any problems in streaming and offline without any problems.
Nothing happens with the smartphone, but that's not tragic because it's already old and will be replaced at some point.
I haven't experienced any of these problems on the iPad since the update.
Everything runs wonderfully there and from a personal point of view I prefer to listen to music.

Let's take a quick look at the sound and operation.

I have let the Hip 2 run for well over 50 hours and am already close to the 100h burn in recommended by Ifi.
At the beginning, the sound was a bit harsh.
This subsided after 20 hours and became better after 50 hours.
It became softer and silkier and no longer hard.
Of course, this is subjective.

For just under $200, it's a really worthwhile dwarf in terms of sound.
It also makes the one or other amplifier for 500$ look old.
I am amazed at how good the little one sounds and have fallen in love with it.
I listened to it with the Aeon R/T via a 3.5 mm jack. All in all, the Ify Hip Dac 2 reminds me tonally of the Wolfson chip 8740 series, only better.
The resolution is really very good and superior to any dac dongel I've had so far.
The mids and highs are also above the dac dongle and overall well balanced, tending to be gentle and not aggressive where any flight, train journey or hotel stay will cause relaxation.
The bass is a bit of a weak point without Xbass for me personally.
It could be a bit more prominent without the Xbass, even if it could be fixed quickly at the touch of a button.
Sometimes it's too much even when it's on.
Xbass is a nice to have in that respect.
It would be nice if they would do something about it in version 3.
Or maybe via an update.
I would have liked a little more bass without Xbass and when Xbass is pressed it is extended so that it doesn't roll over or become exaggerated.
Similar to Loundness, roughly speaking.

Imatch:

Interesting button.
Without Imatch, it drives the Aeon R/T amazingly well.
With the Podi I can turn it all the way up to have it loud enough without Imatch.
If I press imatch after turning back the potentiometer and set the volume again as I want it, I end up at 12 o'clock to light up everything and that's quite enough and I have a bit more headroom.
And I still have enough reserves to go louder again, mind you under the 3.5 mm socket not Pentacon.
There, imatch would probably be almost unnecessary and possibly extend the battery life.
That too is somehow a nice to have.

Poti:
I find this a bit unfortunate.
You switch on the hip via the potentiometer and then nothing happens until 9 o'clock, probably on purpose to control the circuits.
It's irritating at first, but you get used to it and forget about it.
I don't know if a switch-on button in version 3 would be better.
Or to stick with the concept of protecting the earpiece and headphones from hearing damage when everything is connected.
In the end I have to say it is well thought out, admittedly.

Running time:
I honestly didn't pay much attention to it.
4 hours were in any case without having to recharge.
And later I listened to it for another 2 hours and had to plug it in at some point.
Of course it depends on how you listen and whether it has to unfold or not with the Mqa.
I think it's great that it's enough to plug in the charging plug and the fun continues and you can continue listening to music.
Unfortunately, the indicator for the charging status is behind the socket.
I would have liked it better if it was in the front where you can see everything.
A kind of beep that informs you when the battery is jammed would also be nice, just as an idea.
Another thing to mention is that the Hip 2 doesn't affect the battery of the player, even though it is connected via USB.
On my Ipad mini, it once ran for over 4 hours and used just 6% of the Ipad's power for playing.

Operation, cable, scope of delivery:

The operation is mainly self-explanatory.
The conversion colours are quickly learned by heart.
Two or three things have to be read in the manual, which is okay, because you should spend 10 minutes with it.
The cables are a bit annoying.
On the train, I need more space than I would like in the tightest of spaces.
I don't like to bend cables, eventually they break and you're left with nothing, usually at inopportune moments.
The cables are chosen so long that it fits with the smartphone but with a tablet they would have to be longer to be able to bend them sparingly.
It would be helpful to have a stretch band that you can always pull on and off.
Of course, you have to buy this separately, but it would be great to see it in the scope of delivery in the future.
Of course, it's a shame that nothing is included for Apple users.
You have to buy the expensive USB camera adapter because nothing else fits.
The noname products unfortunately don't have the right fit, otherwise a 10$ adapter would probably also work.
A proprietary Ifi adapter Usb male to Usb male would simplify matters.
Otherwise, the scope of delivery is sufficient for Android-based devices and there is nothing to complain about.

Finally, MQA:

For a long time I resisted it.
Nevertheless, I have to say that Tidal customers who also use mobile devices will get their money's worth with the Hip 2.
I have to say that, because you are the winner on the mobile level.
You don't sacrifice sound and you can enjoy it on the go with all the depth and goodness it offers.
Why I say that is simple,my phone stays limited to 16/48 and doesn't pass anything on and still hear certain differences.
The illumination of the stage and the depth of the stage is somewhat greater than Mqa, which seemed to me to be the most noticeable.
Also the seperation seems to be better separated among each other and appears more clearly.
It's not the ultimate difference, but it is noticeable, and I find myself saying that something is different between the tablet and the smartphone, but you quickly get used to it.
And the Hip 2 masters it with flying colours, I have to say.
So for mobile use it's good, also for the memory and data volume, which is supposed to be less.
For home use, MQA would not be for me, I'll be honest.
Ifi has also released an update for non MQA friends.
The update turns MQA off for those who don't want it.
And leaves it up to the customer to decide.
This is another thing that Ifi has to praise for its customers.
You are not forced to do anything.

Conclusion:

As already mentioned, I am genuinely amazed by the poison dwarf.
What Ifi has done has a showcase character that one would also wish for from other manufacturers.
Just being represented in forums and giving help can be more than just praised.
In the end, offering a mobile amplifier at this level with this price will also cause the Chinese market to stumble.
To switch off Mqa by update, to improve their products even after longer releases by update or to correct errors can only be praised.
The workmanship is also of the highest level, everything is nice to look at and conveys good control in operation.
The rattling when shaking is normal and comes from the buttons.
It takes only a short time to get used to it, and you quickly become familiar with everything.
The sound is really good and works very well.
The tuning of the Burr Brown chip is also excellent and even better than the old chip versions known from the Fostex Hp A4, for example.
You get good audio for the money and a solid mobile headphone amplifier that supports all current formats.
That it also drives a hungry Aeon R/T surprised me.
Even if the main focus is more on IEM's, it also drives over ear headphones.
It has to be said that it has its limits somewhere, even with the 3.5 mm jack.
It's a pity I don't have a cable with a 3.5 jack for my Lcd 2C to hear how it performs there.
In general, it can be used for a small budget and non-mobile home use.
Which you can't blame it for as it has a lot going for it.
By the way, it also supports the Playstation 4&5, which was not really mentioned, but it was important to mention.
Because all Playstation owners know exactly how bad the sound from the Playstation can be.
As I don't have one at the moment I couldn't test it.
I assume that it works.
I'm glad I bought it.
I've always been a fan of dongels but their performance is often limited so the sound can be too thin on the move.
With the Hip 2, such things are a thing of the past.
The small one will stay, also because the sockets are robust - even if it takes up a bit of space I can live with it.
I'm looking forward to the Hip 3 when it comes out.
It is also a solid base for beginners and women would also like it because it is so small and fits in almost every handbag.

Future and vision:
A Hip 3 with display would be a dream, or even something like a Hip Dap.
I would be a buyer of a Dap with a solid system.
What I have seen so far I don't like so much about Daps.
And I could imagine seeing something from Ifi. Sound-wise alone, the basis would be there.

To be honest, I see the Hip 2 as technically better with any connected modern smartphone and tablet than a Dap with an outdated operating system with security gaps.
In principle it's the same except that you don't have everything in one hand but it's connected with a cable.
And the Hip 2 is quite a bit ahead of that, as is probably the Gryphon.
It even offers Bluetooth convenience.
Awesome work and some interesting observations. Many thanks! :beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back