iFi audio's worst kept secret: the hip-dac!
Jan 2, 2021 at 9:59 PM Post #587 of 797
Good looking combo! I forgot all about that case for the hip dac. I need to pick it up sometime.

It completes that high end flask look lol. But mostly soft leather is friendlier to handle around other scratcheable equipment.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #590 of 797
Does it keep the warmth of the hip dac contained? When the hip dac is stacked to my phone in my pocket, it's gets a little too toasty for my tastes.

It absolutely does. Can barely feel the heat through it.

Jan 5, 2021 at 8:19 PM Post #591 of 797
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #593 of 797
I’ll probably grab one for in pocket use when stacked with my phone. I use the hip dac mostly for over ears and the paw S1 for iems.

I was looking for something with the Burr Brown Dac and a 4.4mm balanced connection in a small package. It was too perfect to pass up.

Jan 5, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #594 of 797
The hiss via balanced for my sensitive iems irritates me out of the hip dac with quiet music but the hiss isn't noticeable at all for my sensitive over ears. The S1 just can't power my over ears via my phone but does well with iems balanced. Everything is a balance act in the audio gear world haha. If I could only have one portable DAC/amp, I think the hip dac would be the one I went with honestly.

@iFi audio make a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the hip dac like how chord has the poly for their mojo. I think the hip dac would beat out the FiiO Q5 at that point if an accessory like that existed.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #595 of 797
The hiss via balanced for my sensitive iems irritates me out of the hip dac with quiet music but the hiss isn't noticeable at all for my sensitive over ears. The S1 just can't power my over ears via my phone but does well with iems balanced. Everything is a balance act in the audio gear world haha. If I could only have one portable DAC/amp, I think the hip dac would be the one I went with honestly.

@iFi audio make a Bluetooth adapter that plugs into the back of the hip dac like how chord has the poly for their mojo. I think the hip dac would beat out the FiiO Q5 at that point if an accessory like that existed.

As always, never say never! I'm sure we're cooking up something to answer all your questions in time :wink:

Can't promise anything though!

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #596 of 797
6E55C211-3E44-4F85-B814-530E9735CB00.jpeg

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #597 of 797
Jan 6, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #599 of 797
Joking aside. It would be kinda possible to do since most the portable iFi stuff uses the same usb male input. All different designs however so I don’t think a universal adapter for all iFi portable gear could be made that would please everyone looks wise and the cost of an adapter that works for a $150 hip dac or the $650 iDSD Sig wouldn’t be easy to price out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back