iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Oct 31, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #4,846 of 5,865
It is way too complicated! I tend to think of MQA the way my Roon setup does:

Screenshot 2022-10-31 at 4.30.55 PM.png

As for whether a first unfold MQA sounds better than plain FLAC (at the same sample rate), I would expect so but I really don't know. Also there is an issue that some believe Tidal no longer streams plain unadulterated FLAC for tracks available in MQA and just streams the MQA version (which technically should have some low level noise from MQA encoding).
HA!!

Yes, I remember seeing that in my Roon settings!!

I still have no firm grasp on why this issue "seems" to be so important to those without a "Renderer Only" DAC attached to it, that I understand completely, but to need a unit to do the first unfold only to a non-MQA DAC still trips my brain up.

I mean no insult to anyone that thinks this way I just don't understand it, and would honestly love to. I always feel like I'm missing some secret sauce when this topic comes up, my perspective is if you are already paying for the Master tier, why not get a DAC capable of what you're paying for?

Thanks for your reply!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 7, 2022 at 6:20 AM Post #4,847 of 5,865
@Mr BubbaHyde When I said 192 files I was referring too what the MQA rate is according to The NEO screen, and also Verified by Roon, Tidal itself doesn't tell you that unless there is some secret I don't know about.

I will note again the glitch only appears for me when using the Tidal app to directly listen to MQA gapless albums, it does not occur when using Roon. This makes me wonder if it is more an issue with TC rather than being solely on the Neo Stream.

Two examples of Gapless MQA are Pink Floyd's - Dark Side of the Moon = MQA 96
and Pink Floyd's - Meddle = 192 MQA
On a side note, if you are solely referring to the Zen stream, we should take the conversation here to avoid confusion...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-audio-zen-stream-streaming-elevated-to-a-higher-plane.958391/ this is it's dedicated thread.

Cheers!!
I said I can't test 192 files because ZS does the unfold and I think the first unfold is only till 96.
Maybe it's ifi TC implementation what have the problem. I will try Pink Floyd's albums

Regards.

Nov 8, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,848 of 5,865
I understand, but I can't see getting an Audirvana subscription just to get better sound from qobuz. I only use Qobuz ocasionally. Most of my listening is from hard drive files played through Jriver to the Zen Stream. I have a big collection of ripped CDs.
Hi, Can you help me how to connect JRIVER MUSIC on Window with IFI Zen Stream.
My Audirvana and Roon works great with Ifi Stream, but in my Jriver can not find output to Ifi
Thank you
1667914650493.png

Nov 13, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4,849 of 5,865
Hey @iFi audio I've had sound issues, audio breaking up. Traced it to the Zen Stream. Decided to do factory reset, check all connections. Did reset. I want it in Roon only mode. When I put it in Roon only mode it switches to SPDIF, nothing connected to SPDIF. Can't find in ROON where to switch to USB out. Switch to open mode on back of unit so I can use the online thing to switch to USB out. I do that, save it, says it's saved. In Roon it's showing USB out. Great. Then I switch to Roon only mode on the back of the unit and it's switched back to SPDIF again automatically. I don't know how to switch it back without going out of Roon only mode, when I switch back into Roon only mode it switches itself to SPDIF. It's really winding me up.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:00 PM Post #4,850 of 5,865
Hey @iFi audio I've had sound issues, audio breaking up. Traced it to the Zen Stream. Decided to do factory reset, check all connections. Did reset. I want it in Roon only mode. When I put it in Roon only mode it switches to SPDIF, nothing connected to SPDIF. Can't find in ROON where to switch to USB out. Switch to open mode on back of unit so I can use the online thing to switch to USB out. I do that, save it, says it's saved. In Roon it's showing USB out. Great. Then I switch to Roon only mode on the back of the unit and it's switched back to SPDIF again automatically. I don't know how to switch it back without going out of Roon only mode, when I switch back into Roon only mode it switches itself to SPDIF. It's really winding me up.
Try opening device settings in Roon. (Click on the volume control in the Roon app and then on the settings icon). At the bottom there is a an audio device section, there you click on Device info and it will take you to a screen where you can switch to USB. This is weird as the more common issue is that it keeps defaulting to USB when powered off in my case, and many others have experienced this. Hopefully this fixes your issue.

Screenshot 2022-11-13 at 2.49.50 PM.png

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #4,851 of 5,865
Try opening device settings in Roon. (Click on the volume control in the Roon app and then on the settings icon). At the bottom there is a an audio device section, there you click on Device info and it will take you to a screen where you can switch to USB. This is weird as the more common issue is that it keeps defaulting to USB when powered off in my case, and many others have experienced this. Hopefully this fixes your issue.

Hi, thank you for your message. That's the first thing I tried and there is no option in there to switch to USB output. Can't find anything in Roon on my system that lets me switch the output. So for now it's leave it in open mode or switch to Roon only and have it fixed into SPDIF. I'm on Mac OS latest version and Roon latest version.

Nov 13, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #4,852 of 5,865
Hi, thank you for your message. That's the first thing I tried and there is no option in there to switch to USB output. Can't find anything in Roon on my system that lets me switch the output. So for now it's leave it in open mode or switch to Roon only and have it fixed into SPDIF. I'm on Mac OS latest version and Roon latest version.
You have to click on DEVICE INFO and then CONFIGURE DEVICE, in Roon Audio Settings. It opens up the option to switch between SPDIF and USB, even if the Zen is in Roon Mode (that's how I use it).

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:05 PM Post #4,853 of 5,865
You have to click on DEVICE INFO and then CONFIGURE DEVICE, in Roon Audio Settings. It opens up the option to switch between SPDIF and USB, even if the Zen is in Roon Mode (that's how I use it).
Ah ha! Nailed it, you superstar. Thank you. The CONFIGURE DEVICE option is practically hidden behind the DEVICE INFO button- which doesn't look like a tab or link. I think ROON should put that behind the settings button, really that would make sense. Info for info, settings for settings.

Nov 13, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #4,854 of 5,865

thanks forski, you also told me how to do it and I wasn't listening properly.

Nov 14, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #4,855 of 5,865
Nov 19, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #4,856 of 5,865
Luv the ifi hardware but I absolutely hate /detest this terrible software,I've never in my life had this much trouble with any software as much as this app,latest ios update is causing the stream app to crash,if I select the zen stream it crashes to the iPhone home screen,it's the same on my ipad Pro,if I select the neo it allows the setup,pity I don't have a neo,now I can't use my zen,the zen hasn't had any updates since April,shocking support,update -got it working on my android tablet,sort this out 😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

Attachments

• 46C37E3A-29D2-439B-A5F6-964DDDEFBC01.png
    46C37E3A-29D2-439B-A5F6-964DDDEFBC01.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #4,857 of 5,865
Hi guys,

I have the IFI Zen Stream wanting to use it with Tidal connect on my PC (Windows 10)

I've set it up correctly (pretty sure its correct) and it has worked but most of the time when the zen stream boots from a fresh start and I select it under Tidal connect I get a 'server error, please try again" on the tidal app screen.

Then I muck around and click things and it has worked, once connected it, But its not consistent. I've been mucking around for 4-hours so far.

Any help please?

Edit: When I run the Zen Stream via Ethernet it works normally, so I suspect its a network issue.

I can run it wired no problem for now.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #4,858 of 5,865
hello,
I just received my ifi Zen Stream, first thing I did is update to latest system update via the app (v 2.31.7)...
Unfortunately, I have drop outs every 2-3mn.
I'm using coax out into my system, all sources disabled except Spotify which I'm using.
My Zen is connected to ethernet directly (it shows my connection as wired) and I do not want to use wifi. I didn't plug the antenna.

To my questions, I'm hoping someone can help me :)
1- I disabled both "wireless networking" and "enable hotspot" but every time the system is switching them on again automatically after a couple of minutes (all of a sudden i get a pop-up saying "wireless restarted successfully"). Why? what should i do to keep the wireless network off?
2- any ideas why I may have these drop-outs?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #4,859 of 5,865
hello,
I just received my ifi Zen Stream, first thing I did is update to latest system update via the app (v 2.31.7)...
Unfortunately, I have drop outs every 2-3mn.
I'm using coax out into my system, all sources disabled except Spotify which I'm using.
My Zen is connected to ethernet directly (it shows my connection as wired) and I do not want to use wifi. I didn't plug the antenna.

To my questions, I'm hoping someone can help me :)
1- I disabled both "wireless networking" and "enable hotspot" but every time the system is switching them on again automatically after a couple of minutes (all of a sudden i get a pop-up saying "wireless restarted successfully"). Why? what should i do to keep the wireless network off?
2- any ideas why I may have these drop-outs?

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Try to disable Hotspot and set a fixed ip adress, no DHCP.
This has tremendously increased reliability for me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back