iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #3,481 of 5,863
Tidal Connect/USB flac with mqa, do not play correct

Playing flac files from USB, some are 24bit 48Khz with mqa encoding.
The dac connected using USB, the dac while playing switches from 48 to 96 KHz every 2 seconds (no sound when switching).

The same problem when playing some tracks using tidal connect.

With coax output I don't have this problem (but also no full mqa decoding because the dac does not support mqa on the coax input).

The dac is the Topping D90.

Firmware 2.29.x I did not have that problem.
Switched to 2.30.7 the problem did appear.
Also tested on beta 2.31.2 and stil a problem

I can't go back to 2.29.x, factory reset will set it to 2.25.
(2.25 is no option, wifi does not works correct in my network)

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #3,482 of 5,863
now demoed Tidal Connect for around 1 hour.
- DAC switched on
- Zen Stream switched on in Multi Purpose Mode, COAX
- IPAD, started Tidal app
- selected one playlist with pure masters, played for around 20 mins, no issues
- swiched to some of my mixes with Redbook and MQA content
- played for another 40 mins, still playing - no issues

so don't know what to say but with me the Tidal Connect is running Rock solid in the described config.

Sound wise Tidal connect is the most direct presentation without filtering, similar to Roon, engaging, punchy into the face, feel like my ears are directly laying on the railway listening to the train coming

Directly switching to Roon now is not working - device is not selectable.
Booting Zen Stream again in Multi Purpose Mode.
Zen Stream can then be directly addressed in Roon again, playing without any issues right now

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:49 PM Post #3,483 of 5,863
1643233789045.png

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:55 PM Post #3,484 of 5,863
Tidal Connect/USB flac with mqa, do not play correct

Playing flac files from USB, some are 24bit 48Khz with mqa encoding.
The dac connected using USB, the dac while playing switches from 48 to 96 KHz every 2 seconds (no sound when switching).

The same problem when playing some tracks using tidal connect.

With coax output I don't have this problem (but also no full mqa decoding because the dac does not support mqa on the coax input).

The dac is the Topping D90.

Firmware 2.29.x I did not have that problem.
Switched to 2.30.7 the problem did appear.
Also tested on beta 2.31.2 and stil a problem

I can't go back to 2.29.x, factory reset will set it to 2.25.
(2.25 is no option, wifi does not works correct in my network)
Maybe, just maybe, you're experiencing the same problem I have if using USB out of the Zen Stream to the internal DAC of the Hegel H95, which is not bit-perfect and is a non MQA Dac. Tidal connect requires a bit-perfect DAC downstream if you use USB out. No problem with Coax into the same DAC. Sounds natural, resolving, albeit with a bit of a bass boost, at least to my ears.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #3,487 of 5,863
I’m amazed update after update people still have problem. Volumio maybe the issue maybe using another software such as bluesound will solve the problem. I look at the forum at bluesound hardly any complaint.
the issue is there using a very old volumio kernel,this kernel is so bad with tidal integrating that the problems can't be fixed,one update will fix something but will break others,this is why volumio have given up and have totally rewritten all there software,this is there words not mines,why ifi decided to build a new streamer and then cripple it with outdated software,im lost for words

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #3,488 of 5,863
Just stop using Tidal and get a proper high quality streaming service subscription. My Stream is absolutely flawless with Qobuz and local files. Spotify works but then I'm not wasting listening time with low quality files, especially now that Neil Young is gone from the platform (HAHAHAHAAHHAHA). If all you use is Spotify, just buy a $50 Chromecast dongle and be happy, you won't notice the difference. It is a pity seeing so many folks around here that don't even own the Stream but keep whining about it. There's nothing wrong with it!

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #3,489 of 5,863
the issue is there using a very old volumio kernel,this kernel is so bad with tidal integrating that the problems can't be fixed,one update will fix something but will break others,this is why volumio have given up and have totally rewritten all there software,this is there words not mines,why ifi decided to build a new streamer and then cripple it with outdated software,im lost for words
There’s beta updates like 1 or 2 weekly and still people have problems. I think till ifi decided to use version 3 it will be weekly updates.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #3,490 of 5,863
There’s beta updates like 1 or 2 weekly and still people have problems. I think till ifi decided to use version 3 it will be weekly updates.
What problems though? Tidal? I had issues with the damn thing on my phone, with the app failing to progress to the next song, for ages. So happy I'm not using it anymore. As for the frequent betas, what would you rather have, no updates? Since when is frequent support a bad thing? By the way, how is that Bluesound USB out upgrade going, a year after the launch?

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #3,491 of 5,863
And yet the people with no problems try to help and I seriously ask myself what for!

If I didn't know any better I'd swear "Ru]%" was back....

Who people insist on smacking down a product that the majority of people who have it obviously don't have these issues...

It's seriously sad...

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 26, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #3,492 of 5,863
What problems though? Tidal? I had issues with the damn thing on my phone, with the app failing to progress to the next song, for ages. So happy I'm not using it anymore. As for the frequent betas, what would you rather have, no updates? Since when is frequent support a bad thing? By the way, how is that Bluesound USB out upgrade going, a year after the launch?
There’s no such product is perfect. With so many they produce atlist one of them has problem unfortunately you got the item that has issue. Maybe you should call them so they can troubleshoot and if determined to be defective then they may fix or replace it. My point is having a product with lease amount of problems.

Jan 26, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #3,493 of 5,863
There’s no such product is perfect. With so many they produce atlist one of them has problem unfortunately you got the item that has issue. Maybe you should call them so they can troubleshoot and if determined to be defective then they may fix or replace it. My point is having a product with lease amount of problems.
Noticed that you just joined last month so it might be wise to read more and post less for a while. Just saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back