iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 26, 2022 at 2:50 PM Post #3,471 of 5,863
So finally .....i'm not alone in this! Having the exact same stutter. Try doing Factory Reset, it will get you back to v2.25 and see how it is on that firmware please. For me it was the only fix for working without stutter. Lightning fast! You can always update to v2.31.1.....
When I factory reset my unit it reverts back to v2.29.2 good news is there is no stutter on this firmware either. You are right, it’s way quicker as well. Tidal connect is a train wreck as far as stability goes on every firmware I’ve tried. Slightly better on the newest beta but still not what I would consider to be unusable. I think I will stay with this firmware until they can come up with a newer one that doesn’t have the problems changing tracks.

Jan 26, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,472 of 5,863
I am anyway a sick nerd in terms of trying out every possible solution.

I could as well just plug my IPad into my DAC and play everything Bitperfect from there but I am following the rabbit holes of upsampling, dedicated endpoints with own PSU etc.

I love Tidal Connect too for the ease of use and wondering about Qobuz offering some similar solution soon (would be great).

The advantage of leveraged streaming apps like Roon will be the possibility to combine all sources and even create playlists, radio stations with mixed local and streaming content plus song texts plus editorial background information.

Good thing about Zen Stream is: it can satisfy all such needs in one device!
Are you not having stability issues using tidal connect? I haven’t found a firmware that doesn’t take 3-5 seconds to load a track and have intermittent pauses in the music. It’s not my network as I have no issues with Spotify with the stream or tidal through my Bluesound node.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 3:06 PM Post #3,473 of 5,863
Are you not having stability issues using tidal connect? I haven’t found a firmware that doesn’t take 3-5 seconds to load a track and have intermittent pauses in the music. It’s not my network as I have no issues with Spotify with the stream or tidal through my Bluesound node.
Am usually using Roon but for my few mins listening during working hours I had issues for the first initialization in Tidal Connect but afterwards I ve played a mixed Playlist with Redbook and master content without issues

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,474 of 5,863
I’ve read most of this thread and finally decided to get the Zen Stream. It seems the firmware is being constantly updated and improved upon by iFi. This will be the first time I’ve used a source other than a computer or my iPhone with the CCK adapter. I’m hoping to hear an improvement moving to the ZS.

I have a nice setup, Bifrost 2 > Quicksilver Headphone Amp > ZMF Auteur. I’ve always felt silly using my phone tethered with an adapter as my source. I always assumed it was the bottleneck in my system. Time to test my theory.

I have a few questions regarding upgrades, mainly power supply and digital cables. I have never bought an expensive digital cable, but I’m considering a “nice” USB cable to connect the ZS to my Bifrost 2. Then again, I’ve read a few people prefer the Coax output of the ZS with their BF2, so I wonder how much I’d need to spend to get a decent Coax cable. If it’s cheaper to get a quality Coax than USB, I might go that route.

I don’t know whether to invest in a linear power supply or iFi Elite. Opinions seem to differ wildly on what level of power supply is necessary to improve upon the stock unit. I struggle to consider spending almost the same amount on the power supply as the Zen Stream, so units like the SBooster and iFi Elite are probably out of my price range unless I find a good deal on a used unit.

In general, I’m curious how many Zen Stream users are bothering with cable and power supply upgrades. I’ll probably make sure I can get the thing setup properly before I make any more purchases. I always like to change one variable at a time in my system, otherwise it’s hard to know what component to attribute the improvements (or losses) to.

#ckhirnigs113 nice to see you over here in this thread. The Zen Stream definitely made a difference in sound quality with my system. I went from Bluetooth streaming and Macbook USB out to DAC to running Roon and the Stream. A very noticeable improvement. I don't have any experience with upgraded digital cables for you unfortunately. I'm using a basic USB cable with gold plated ends. I prefer the USB output from the Stream into the Unison USB input on my Yggy. Try them both and see which you like better. I don't think you'll be disappointed either way.

Thanks so much. Appreciate the love you guys, and enjoy!

So finally .....i'm not alone in this! Having the exact same stutter. Try doing Factory Reset, it will get you back to v2.25 and see how it is on that firmware please. For me it was the only fix for working without stutter. Lightning fast! You can always update to v2.31.1.....
ok updated to 2.31.1 and have done some testing. Spotify connect via usb now works but there is an issue when changing tracks. There is a stutter where the sound cuts back in for a fraction of a second instead of a smooth transition like there used to be. Tidal connect is more stable than it was in the original firmware but still needs work. A lot of tracks take 3-5 seconds to start playing. Some tracks have a 1-2 second pause just after the it starts and there are still some random intermittent cut outs from time to time. Seems worse going back and fourth from hi-fi quality to master. I have a strong hardwired internet connection and don’t have problems with other devices so I know it’s not network related. Also the lights are displaying incorrect colors. It gives me yellow for Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi tracks (should be green) and Cyan for MQA (should be yellow) but priority should be placed on getting Tidal connect more stable. Thanks for your continuing efforts and excellent communication thus far in getting this product to the level it deserves.
When I factory reset my unit it reverts back to v2.29.2 good news is there is no stutter on this firmware either. You are right, it’s way quicker as well. Tidal connect is a train wreck as far as stability goes on every firmware I’ve tried. Slightly better on the newest beta but still not what I would consider to be unusable. I think I will stay with this firmware until they can come up with a newer one that doesn’t have the problems changing tracks.
I use Apple Music via Airplay to ZS then USB from ZS to DAC. I also often get silence for the first 0.5-1 seconds of a track when it plays sequentially after the preceding track. I thought it was an IOS / Airplay thing, but perhaps it is a ZS thing?

Feedback has been noted and sent along to our software team to look into further.

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #3,475 of 5,863
The Zen Stream is a puzzling device, given the incredible amount of complaints we come across in threads like this and reviews. My initial impression was "nothing works smoothly in this device, it's a real mess". Then I decided to use Tidal Connect (that's why I bought in the first place) only in AIO mode (couldn't see a difference between this and exclusive mode), with ethernet only, via Coax to the DAC of my Hegel H95. It works flawlessly. However, if I switch between this and Roon or Mconnect, it can be really messy. So, I use it for Tidal Connect only and it runs smoothly with beautiful sound. If anyone would ask me "should I buy this?", I wouldn't know what to say but I wouldn't sell mine. I know this sounds rather strange but that's my impression of the Zen Stream

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:25 PM Post #3,476 of 5,863
The Zen Stream is a puzzling device, given the incredible amount of complaints we come across in threads like this and reviews. My initial impression was "nothing works smoothly in this device, it's a real mess". Then I decided to use Tidal Connect (that's why I bought in the first place) only in AIO mode (couldn't see a difference between this and exclusive mode), with ethernet only, via Coax to the DAC of my Hegel H95. It works flawlessly. However, if I switch between this and Roon or Mconnect, it can be really messy. So, I use it for Tidal Connect only and it runs smoothly with beautiful sound. If anyone would ask me "should I buy this?", I wouldn't know what to say but I wouldn't sell mine. I know this sounds rather strange but that's my impression of the Zen Stream
Am also using Coax as my USB is attached to another source.
Maybe that's a factor for the more stable Tidal Connect.
Have indeed also encountered issues when switching between Mconnect and Tidal Connect today.
I assume that it might run more stable in exclusive mode for either Tidal Connect or Roon or HQPLAYER NAA.
For the last 2 options I ve had absolutely zero stability issues and am reading currently in the HQPlayer forum that Zen Stream is often used there without any issues

Jan 26, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #3,477 of 5,863
I'm interested in trying the WIIM. Does anyone know anywhere with stock in the UK?
Same here. I reckon it would be fine for the bedroom system, so I looked on Amazon UK, and it’s out of stock.

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #3,478 of 5,863
Am also using Coax as my USB is attached to another source.
Maybe that's a factor for the more stable Tidal Connect.
Have indeed also encountered issues when switching between Mconnect and Tidal Connect today.
I assume that it might run more stable in exclusive mode for either Tidal Connect or Roon or HQPLAYER NAA.
For the last 2 options I ve had absolutely zero stability issues and am reading currently in the HQPlayer forum that Zen Stream is often used there without any issues
I was using Tidal Connect Exclusive Mode, but then you don't have access to the iFi App and switching modes is also not so straightforward (this is a "moody"device) . So, I decided to keep it in AIO and just disable/enable other modes in the App. Doesn't seem to make a difference in SQ. BTW, allowing the Stream to do the first unfold of MQA doesn't make a difference either, compared to FLAC, and Tidal Hifi costs half the price in my country. So, I'm using Tidal Hifi only.

P.S. I'm considering buying a Zen dac Signature V2 to pair with the Zen Stream and go all the way into MQA. I'm not sure this is worth it (because of MQA and the quality of the DAC itself, compared with the Hegel) but we audiophiles are always wondering "what if?". Cheers

Jan 26, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #3,479 of 5,863
Try Amazon, wiim work fine out of the box and apps support all major streaming services plus it even work on mconnect. This is one of the best 99 that I spent in long time. Spotify connect, tidal connect, airplay 2.
Perhaps it's time to start a thread on your new product! I'm sure we would all Benefit from your use and impressions!!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 26, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #3,480 of 5,863
Try here for stuttering issues, and other fixes...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi-zen-stream-setup-tips-tricks.961425/

Then let us know how your issue is!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back