iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Jan 19, 2022 at 12:43 PM Post #3,361 of 5,934
I understand that IOS devices currently use AAC over Airplay 2, not ALAC, even if the source was originally ALAC (or other lossless format). I’m sure you will do the due diligence, but be careful that ZS doesn’t disenfranchise those of us who are happy with Airplay 1 sending 16/44.1 to ZS from Apple Music source on iPhone or iPad.

It will support both Airplay 1 and 2.

Jan 19, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #3,362 of 5,934
It will support both Airplay 1 and 2.
How will it be selected ? By a setting on the ZS, or are you expecting Apple to put a ‘transmit using Airplay 1 or 2’ option in their OS?

For info this graphic might explain :-

6AEDBE8E-1FF2-4953-BEC6-C22A5B577C0A.jpeg

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3,363 of 5,934
Not brave enough to try this on my new Mac :smile:

Perhaps later on another of my machines...Screen Shot 2022-01-19 at 12.15.39 PM.png

Cheers!!
Just an fyi. Newer MacOSs have additional security signing failsafes regarding kernel extensions (kexts). This app, similar to sone older VPN software, apparently uses the older kernel extensions method supported by older OSs. There is some additional theoretical security / root kit exposure to enabling the older method in newer OS versions but it is not otherwise destabilizing and can be reversed.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #3,364 of 5,934
Just an fyi. Newer MacOSs have additional security signing failsafes regarding kernel extensions (kexts). This app, similar to sone older VPN software, apparently uses the older kernel extensions method supported by older OSs. There is some additional theoretical security / root kit exposure to enabling the older method in newer OS versions but it is not otherwise destabilizing and can be reversed.

If you are using SoundSource (which I am), you already have ACE installed.

Jan 19, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #3,365 of 5,934
Yes you are correct, it's just I was on my brand new mini, I'm used too seeing these messages, just the preferences one and for known programs I have no issue.

But I have never heard of this and have never had to restart to complete. So I was just jittery 🤣🤣

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 19, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #3,366 of 5,934
Out of curiosity, what do you mean by glitchy? What experiences have you had with it?
Chromecasting high samplerates causes dropouts all over the place. This happens only with streaming over Chromecast to my Atom. Streaming Qobuz with the built in Qobuz solution on the Naim Atom or using Roon work flawless. It’s not a network problem, it’s Chromecast built-in. I gave up on it, Roon all the way for me, always rock solid.

Jan 19, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #3,367 of 5,934
Chromecasting high samplerates causes dropouts all over the place. This happens only with streaming over Chromecast to my Atom. Streaming Qobuz with the built in Qobuz solution on the Naim Atom or using Roon work flawless. It’s not a network problem, it’s Chromecast built-in. I gave up on it, Roon all the way for me, always rock solid.
Connections to Chromecast are also extremely slow, it is definitely the worst solution for hi-res streaming.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,370 of 5,934
Last edited:
Jan 19, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,371 of 5,934
Not everyone one want to pay another subscription on top of your music services. For example, bluesound node, it’s a complete on both hardware and software and work outside the box with all streaming services.

Jan 19, 2022 at 4:40 PM Post #3,373 of 5,934
Future? Like 10 years from now. There’s lots of competition out there or will fall off the game.
Actually Qobuz is quite different in that it doesn’t focus that much on popular music. They carved out quite the niche for themselves. I personally love it, I had tidal for while a couple of years ago and hated their recommendations and the focus on hiphop/pop/etc music.

I don’t have a need for a connect feature (Roon and it is built into my Atom), but would surely welcome it. We’ll see how long it will take them to implement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back