iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 25, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #2,896 of 5,913
I had both the P50 and the iPower stock PSU and preferred the stock PSU in terms of dynamics.

On another note, I do hear a slight buzz from my other IFI Zen Stream unit (I have 2) that is currently powered by their 9V Stock PSU. The buzz increases as the unit starts to stream music/tidal and becomes less as I press pause.

Ahas anyone experienced this? What can I do to rectify this? Contact IFI, if yes, what's the best and most efficient forum? If not, do dealers help with such issues?

Thanks
Thanks for the topping comparison. Yeah 130 euros for a linear psu kinda too cheap to be true :)
Could that be a groundloop? Do you have sat/cable tv connected in the same pwr circuit as the 2nd unit?

Dec 25, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #2,897 of 5,913
I am tempted to buy the stream but am put off by the talk of drop outs and connection issues...I would be using it with my hard drive attached and using roon and into my hugo 2....if it all worked properly I would buy it but I want to avoid aggravation

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #2,898 of 5,913
I am tempted to buy the stream but am put off by the talk of drop outs and connection issues...I would be using it with my hard drive attached and using roon and into my hugo 2....if it all worked properly I would buy it but I want to avoid aggravation
+1
Yeah I m watching developments on this thread and on other forums with interest. Seems like a product with problem after problem.
If trie it’s a shame as I have owned their products in the past

Dec 25, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #2,899 of 5,913
reminds me of the chord problems with its streamer for the hugo 2 and the mojo...great ideas if they work

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #2,906 of 5,913
Hi :)

I bought the ifi Stream when it was available in Germany and had no problems from the beginning.
I don't have a hard drive connected, but I use the ifi Stream in conjunction with ROON and HQPlayer, and everything works great.

Mac Mini M1 -> ROON -> HQPlayer -> ifi Stream -> ifi Pro iDSD.

Everything works as it should, when I put my Mac to sleep, I wake it up the next day, turn on my devices, press play, and listen to my music.
There may be issues with Spotify or Tidal if you use the app, but with ROON everything really works as it should, I can assure you of that.
Before the ifi Stream I had a lot of devices, none could convince me as the ifi Stream.

And no, ifi does not pay me for saying that. :ksc75smile:

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #2,907 of 5,913
I’ve found that DC powered audio components that specifiy a range of voltages, actually sound best with one specific voltage. Has anybody tried a variety of different voltages into the Zen Streamer and compared the sonic results?

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,908 of 5,913
I’ve found that DC powered audio components that specifiy a range of voltages, actually sound best with one specific voltage. Has anybody tried a variety of different voltages into the Zen Streamer and compared the sonic results?
I don’t have dc powered but using different wall wart to topping p50 the sound signature of Klipsch reference premier become noticeable due to their horn loaded tweeter. On wall wart, you get the clarity and dynamic but with associated hissing background that hinder micro dynamic and micro detail. Other I have used with passive filtering and active made the sound too smooth that took the bite of shimmering cymbals. So, to my ear linear power supply is best bet and I’m sure higher price linear power supply will do better than the topping p50.

Dec 26, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #2,909 of 5,913
I don't have a hard drive connected, but I use the ifi Stream in conjunction with ROON and HQPlayer, and everything works great.

Mac Mini M1 -> ROON -> HQPlayer -> ifi Stream -> ifi Pro iDSD.
Between HQPlayer and your Zen Stream, it's IPV6 network ? IPV6 is enabled by default on Zen ?

Dec 26, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,910 of 5,913
i've spend some time and found 12v to sound the best to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back