iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 22, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #2,866 of 5,913
Hi everyone,

Great thread with fabulous support though about 70% goes straight over my head!

So, I’ve nervously got myself a zen stream having run a rpi set up for a number of years (was a 2b if that dates it!). I admit to getting fed up with ongoing niggles with the rpi so was looking for a plug and play alternative to go with my zen dac and the zs looked like the best swap out. The journey has not been a smooth one with continuing connection niggles despite being a wired connection and a growing fear that I’ve bought into something that will need ongoing adjustment (and associated learning and relearning) that I was sick of with the rpi.

Anyway my current issues (alongside loss of spotify connect though I can still listen through Airplay) are:

1) since a factory reset the ZS will no longer see my powered usb hard drive (1tb Samsung) with all my tunes on so am limited to Spotify to get my daily fix. Have checked hard drive through my lap too and all is fine at that end.

2) ZS randomly shuts down / powers off. Doesn’t happen every day. Seems to happen in the middle of the night so some mornings it’s on, others it’s switched itself off. Just often and irregularly enough to get annoying. ZS while accessible isn’t in the easiest of places to get to so am looking for reliable always on performance. Is there a hidden option to force always on that I’m missing or is this a random power supply issue? Sleep options all turned off.

3) SW update - seems I’m stuck on 2.29.9 which the ZS is saying is the latest available… is this the case, from conversations here I suspect not or is everything after that still beta? If there is a more up to date version how do I get it?

Apols if these have been resolved earlier on, I did a search and couldn’t see similar posts!

Many thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or ideas! Here’s looking forward to a day when I don’t have to delve into understanding the plethora of 3 letter abbreviations and can just listen to my tunes!

Best wishes,

Robert
On the random pwr on/off, check your ac outlets. Are you using ac conditioner? What type of ac adapter are you using? The generic (underpower one) that came with it or a real IFI ipower one?

Dec 22, 2021 at 8:49 PM Post #2,867 of 5,913
Used with an adequate power supply the Stream is rock solid. Mine works for weeks on end without restarts.

My dual lpsu has arrived and the first impression is that it opened up the sound, expanded the sound stage and the lower end has way more weight than before. The overall sound is also more musical and I can't stop listening. If you still think about upgrading your digital system's power supply, don't. It makes a whole world of improvement, especially if your system is pretty revealing.

Attachments

• 20211223_143909.jpg
    20211223_143909.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 11:38 PM Post #2,868 of 5,913
Tested the new ipower2 psu tonight compared to generic psu that came in the box,anyone else notice that music seems worse with these ipowers,less resolution,more subdued as if a veil suddenly came over,thought I was maybe jst imagine it so I plugged the old psu bck in and it instantly better

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #2,869 of 5,913
Tested the new ipower2 psu tonight compared to generic psu that came in the box,anyone else notice that music seems worse with these ipowers,less resolution,more subdued as if a veil suddenly came over,thought I was maybe jst imagine it so I plugged the old psu bck in and it instantly better
I had ipower using on dac and I noticed the same thing. I took it out and used iPhone charger instead and music sound better.

Dec 23, 2021 at 6:49 AM Post #2,870 of 5,913
My 12v iPower2 arrives tomorrow, curious to see how it performs…

Dec 23, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #2,871 of 5,913
I'm really happy with my Gieseler Kraftwerk II Dual linear power supply. The Stream and its DDC buddy are both powered by the unit and I couldn't hope for a better sound out of my monitors. I'm a clean power convert now. Always thought voltage and wattage is all than matters but it turns out I was wrong. Makes you wonder why high end DAC and streamer manufacturers focus so much on their power supply section...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #2,873 of 5,913
2) ZS randomly shuts down / powers off. Doesn’t happen every day. Seems to happen in the middle of the night so some mornings it’s on, others it’s switched itself off. Just often and irregularly enough to get annoying. ZS while accessible isn’t in the easiest of places to get to so am looking for reliable always on performance. Is there a hidden option to force always on that I’m missing or is this a random power supply issue? Sleep options all turned off.
I am having the same issue. Can someone from ifi tell me if this is a software or a hardware issue? I am within my return window, so I can exchange without a problem… @iFi audio

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #2,874 of 5,913
On the random pwr on/off, check your ac outlets. Are you using ac conditioner? What type of ac adapter are you using? The generic (underpower one) that came with it or a real IFI ipower one?
I’m using the one out of the box but have seen elsewhere in the thread some positive noises about this generic one. I also use a power block that has a mains conditioner built in (was recommended in What HiFi magazine years ago and never thrown up any issues).

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #2,875 of 5,913
I am having the same issue. Can someone from ifi tell me if this is a software or a hardware issue? I am within my return window, so I can exchange without a problem… @iFi audio
Yeah - it was off again this morning lol. As I say, just enough to annoy in these times when walking across the lounge (12 feet) is just too much to bear though I think the issue is having sat and settled down you then have to get up again!

Dec 23, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,876 of 5,913
Here's an Airplay issue that I haven't seen previously mentioned: When I add the ZS as an airplay endpoint from Apple's iOS Remote app (which I use routinely to play music in multiple rooms via airport express units), it sees & connects to the ZS but there is no indication that anything is being streamed and no sound is produced. After such an attempt, the ZS disappears from the airplay device list on all my apple devices until I restart it. It seems that airplay streaming is possibly app-dependent. Otherwise, it has been performing admirably.

I have same issues I can't connect to airplay - it connects but doesnt work and it disappears.. from my macbook or ipad, doesn't matter i can't get airplay working. All my other 2 airplay devices have been plug and play so not sure what's going on... disappointing :frowning2:

Dec 23, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,877 of 5,913
I had ipower using on dac and I noticed the same thing. I took it out and used iPhone charger instead and music sound better.
done a bit of digging about last night apparently this was the same issue with the first ipower as reported by many users,kinda shocked the new one is the same and I'd be pretty pissed if I'd payed £70 for it,but I got it nothing,this explains why ifi don't include it as the generic version is better

Dec 23, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #2,878 of 5,913
done a bit of digging about last night apparently this was the same issue with the first ipower as reported by many users,kinda shocked the new one is the same and I'd be pretty pissed if I'd payed £70 for it,but I got it nothing,this explains why ifi don't include it as the generic version is better
I am using ifi ipw2 (12v/1.8A) on my ZS for more than a month and no issues. The generic psu that came with it was noisy (my Willsenton R8 tube amp) was picking up a low level hum/noise from it. Also the generic psu I got is underpower (12v/1A). The ZS is rated 10W peak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back