iFi audio ZEN Stream - Streaming elevated to a higher plane
Dec 21, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #2,855 of 5,913
Curious cable in the house! Evolver Regen Link long enough to connect the Stream to my X-SPDIF 2 DDC. Sounds superb. Now waiting for the Gieseler dual LPSU to arrive so I can feed them both with super clean power. Xmas came early this year :)
https://curiouscables.com/usb-cables

1640139821654.png

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #2,858 of 5,913
Hi everyone,

Great thread with fabulous support though about 70% goes straight over my head!

So, I’ve nervously got myself a zen stream having run a rpi set up for a number of years (was a 2b if that dates it!). I admit to getting fed up with ongoing niggles with the rpi so was looking for a plug and play alternative to go with my zen dac and the zs looked like the best swap out. The journey has not been a smooth one with continuing connection niggles despite being a wired connection and a growing fear that I’ve bought into something that will need ongoing adjustment (and associated learning and relearning) that I was sick of with the rpi.

Anyway my current issues (alongside loss of spotify connect though I can still listen through Airplay) are:

1) since a factory reset the ZS will no longer see my powered usb hard drive (1tb Samsung) with all my tunes on so am limited to Spotify to get my daily fix. Have checked hard drive through my lap too and all is fine at that end.

2) ZS randomly shuts down / powers off. Doesn’t happen every day. Seems to happen in the middle of the night so some mornings it’s on, others it’s switched itself off. Just often and irregularly enough to get annoying. ZS while accessible isn’t in the easiest of places to get to so am looking for reliable always on performance. Is there a hidden option to force always on that I’m missing or is this a random power supply issue? Sleep options all turned off.

3) SW update - seems I’m stuck on 2.29.9 which the ZS is saying is the latest available… is this the case, from conversations here I suspect not or is everything after that still beta? If there is a more up to date version how do I get it?

Apols if these have been resolved earlier on, I did a search and couldn’t see similar posts!

Many thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or ideas! Here’s looking forward to a day when I don’t have to delve into understanding the plethora of 3 letter abbreviations and can just listen to my tunes!

Best wishes,

Robert

Dec 22, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #2,859 of 5,913
Hi,
I disabled MQA passthrough in the latest SW and tried to play MQA music from my NAS (media server). Stream was not able to open the file. Is that normal? I thought that MQA issue was fixed

Dec 22, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,861 of 5,913
Happy to report that the beta (2.30.2) solves my problem. I'm back to MQA playback status on my zen dac v1. Tested both auto and off settings for the new MQA Option and the dac showed purple led. Switching the Passthrough option to On reverts to non MQA (green led). All as expected.

A move in the right direction. Thanks ifi! Now if only we can get the Chromecast option up and running....

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #2,863 of 5,913
Happy to report that the beta (2.30.2) solves my problem. I'm back to MQA playback status on my zen dac v1. Tested both auto and off settings for the new MQA Option and the dac showed purple led. Switching the Passthrough option to On reverts to non MQA (green led). All as expected.

A move in the right direction. Thanks ifi! Now if only we can get the Chromecast option up and running....
I never had purple led playing MQA from Tidal. I always had green. What is the meaning of purple?

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:02 PM Post #2,864 of 5,913
@Sebastien Chiu : re my question around te7022 vs via usb.
Seems when it gets a 88.2 signal through qobuz and upnp it works just fine.
Only tidal connect seems to stick to bit perfect and that is causing the issue. Do you think this can be influenced at tidal or have a workaround in the zen stream?

This seems to be a Tidal related issue. I can see what we can do on our team.

With all the problem being posted here, why ifi is not answering them back.

Please understand that we are human, and working as fast as we can to fix the issues (that we have acknowledged and recognized here multiple times).

No matter how much we wish things could happen in the snap of a finger here, we are not Thanos.

Is there third party apps for amazon hd to cast higher than 44.1 using airplay?

I do not believe airplay can go above 44.1 at this time.

btw anyone know what happened to the spotify redbook quality tier?

can't wait to have that and finally dump tidal, i've cancelled and resigned too many times to mention lol

I have no idea - we're all waiting for updates on Hi-Fi as much as you guys are.

Hi everyone,

Great thread with fabulous support though about 70% goes straight over my head!

So, I’ve nervously got myself a zen stream having run a rpi set up for a number of years (was a 2b if that dates it!). I admit to getting fed up with ongoing niggles with the rpi so was looking for a plug and play alternative to go with my zen dac and the zs looked like the best swap out. The journey has not been a smooth one with continuing connection niggles despite being a wired connection and a growing fear that I’ve bought into something that will need ongoing adjustment (and associated learning and relearning) that I was sick of with the rpi.

Anyway my current issues (alongside loss of spotify connect though I can still listen through Airplay) are:

1) since a factory reset the ZS will no longer see my powered usb hard drive (1tb Samsung) with all my tunes on so am limited to Spotify to get my daily fix. Have checked hard drive through my lap too and all is fine at that end.

2) ZS randomly shuts down / powers off. Doesn’t happen every day. Seems to happen in the middle of the night so some mornings it’s on, others it’s switched itself off. Just often and irregularly enough to get annoying. ZS while accessible isn’t in the easiest of places to get to so am looking for reliable always on performance. Is there a hidden option to force always on that I’m missing or is this a random power supply issue? Sleep options all turned off.

3) SW update - seems I’m stuck on 2.29.9 which the ZS is saying is the latest available… is this the case, from conversations here I suspect not or is everything after that still beta? If there is a more up to date version how do I get it?

Apols if these have been resolved earlier on, I did a search and couldn’t see similar posts!

Many thanks for any thoughts, suggestions or ideas! Here’s looking forward to a day when I don’t have to delve into understanding the plethora of 3 letter abbreviations and can just listen to my tunes!

Best wishes,

Robert

Can you please PM me so I can work with you get your debug file?

I never had purple led playing MQA from Tidal. I always had green. What is the meaning of purple?

Purple means 'MQB" - it's simply the alternative method to unpack MQA over Wi-Fi. You're still getting the same result, nothing to worry about here!

Dec 22, 2021 at 3:54 PM Post #2,865 of 5,913
This seems to be a Tidal related issue. I can see what we can do on our team.

Please understand that we are human, and working as fast as we can to fix the issues (that we have acknowledged and recognized here multiple times).

No matter how much we wish things could happen in the snap of a finger here, we are not Thanos.

I do not believe airplay can go above 44.1 at this time.

I have no idea - we're all waiting for updates on Hi-Fi as much as you guys are.

Can you please PM me so I can work with you get your debug file?

Purple means 'MQB" - it's simply the alternative method to unpack MQA over Wi-Fi. You're still getting the same result, nothing to worry about here!
Thanks! Would be super cool if the zs could solve the upsampling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back