iFi Audio Zen Dac 3... Plug In, World Out!
Apr 18, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #76 of 172
Looks like they are still PC centric. You can easily find a USB A (or cannot get rid of it easily) on PC but there is pretty much no way to get USB A on Mac natively.

Are you using your computer to power it? I was told it would be much better if you get it a good PSU. Not sure if type C would make a difference here.
Currently using the USB C to power it, but will probably get a Power X for it as well. Be interesting to compare the sound.

Apr 18, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #77 of 172
Currently using the USB C to power it, but will probably get a Power X for it as well. Be interesting to compare the sound.
Not only do I work for iFi, but I was a big fan of the Silent Power products for years beforehand.

Please post any results you perceive either way for others to benefit from!

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 19, 2024 at 8:30 AM Post #80 of 172
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 20, 2024 at 6:07 AM Post #81 of 172
Wow so many upset people her3 came to comment.

I appreciate the IFI Dac releases. I love the zen one sig especially since when paired with quality digital player and mqa files, it easily exceeds the Holo May KTE + 1.5mhz hqplayer.

Looking forward to future dac releases that has toslink in and upgraded performances since streamers and digital players dont do usb output and toslink is less noisy anyways.

Apr 20, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #82 of 172
Not only do I work for iFi, but I was a big fan of the Silent Power products for years beforehand.

Please post any results you perceive either way for others to benefit from!

Cheers!!
Sounds much more detailed with it - highs are bit crisper. Didn’t notice much difference in the bass though, which isn’t a complaint as it sounds fine. One question though - am I right that there is no way to power it off (except for using the socket) when using the plug? Previously turning off the my Mac turned off the DAC. Now it seems to be on all of the time.

Apr 20, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #83 of 172
I'll ask
Does this next ZEN DAC ...3 series remain faithful :rolling_eyes:
tradition that music on ZEN must be listened to after 10 or 11 o'clock on the potentiometer, otherwise channel imbalance causes irritation.

I hope this is not the case, because the knob in the new one is different and the price is higher, and maybe the potentiometer was installed a few dollars better.🪙
The ZEN series is great - but due to the lack of balance - it is unacceptable - how many times can you repeat the same mistake. :sleeping:

I don't know if the manufacturer currently offering it thinks that we are deaf, or if I should go deaf because I have to listen very loudly, or if he pretends that this problem does not exist and does not listen to the music himself or us that we report the problem.
I am not convinced by the specification numbers, magical colors, and sophisticated shapes of the structure when such a basic element as a potentiometer will still be embarrassingly weak compared to Chinese toys.

In equipment from the 1970s and 1980s, the potentiometers crackle and need to be cleaned, but ......the channel imbalance is marginal.

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #84 of 172
Wow so many upset people her3 came to comment.

I appreciate the IFI Dac releases. I love the zen one sig especially since when paired with quality digital player and mqa files, it easily exceeds the Holo May KTE + 1.5mhz hqplayer.

Looking forward to future dac releases that has toslink in and upgraded performances since streamers and digital players dont do usb output and toslink is less noisy anyways.
'exceeds holo may KTE' Is a crazy statement haha

Apr 21, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #85 of 172
I'll ask
Does this next ZEN DAC ...3 series remain faithful :rolling_eyes:
tradition that music on ZEN must be listened to after 10 or 11 o'clock on the potentiometer, otherwise channel imbalance causes irritation.

I hope this is not the case, because the knob in the new one is different and the price is higher, and maybe the potentiometer was installed a few dollars better.🪙
The ZEN series is great - but due to the lack of balance - it is unacceptable - how many times can you repeat the same mistake. :sleeping:

I don't know if the manufacturer currently offering it thinks that we are deaf, or if I should go deaf because I have to listen very loudly, or if he pretends that this problem does not exist and does not listen to the music himself or us that we report the problem.
I am not convinced by the specification numbers, magical colors, and sophisticated shapes of the structure when such a basic element as a potentiometer will still be embarrassingly weak compared to Chinese toys.

In equipment from the 1970s and 1980s, the potentiometers crackle and need to be cleaned, but ......the channel imbalance is marginal.

I think the simple answer is potentiometers have benefits which is why iFi continues to use them and despite some complaints about channel imbalance it isn’t a problem for the vast majority of users. The happy customers far outweigh the unhappy customers.

I would not gave thought channel imbalance would be much of a problem on a relatively low power device like the Zen DAC series. Perhaps it would be a problem if you had a compounding scenario where you got an especially bad pot and used very sensitive IEM, I wouldn’t have thought it would be an issue at all with normal headphone use.

It is a few years since I had a Zen DAC 2 but imbalance was a non issue for me. I use an iFi Diablo which has a lot more power and even with very sensitive IEM (Campfire Solaris) the imbalance is at a range where the volume is below normal listening level.

I understand you might have had issues and I am not debating that so please, no need for a back and forth with specifics, I am just offering a counterpoint for anyone thinking about buying a Zen DAC 3 that might read your comments and get the impression that channel imbalance is a common issue that will effect most users, it isn’t.

Apr 21, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #86 of 172
I think the simple answer is potentiometers have benefits which is why iFi continues to use them and despite some complaints about channel imbalance it isn’t a problem for the vast majority of users. The happy customers far outweigh the unhappy customers.

I would not gave thought channel imbalance would be much of a problem on a relatively low power device like the Zen DAC series. Perhaps it would be a problem if you had a compounding scenario where you got an especially bad pot and used very sensitive IEM, I wouldn’t have thought it would be an issue at all with normal headphone use.

It is a few years since I had a Zen DAC 2 but imbalance was a non issue for me. I use an iFi Diablo which has a lot more power and even with very sensitive IEM (Campfire Solaris) the imbalance is at a range where the volume is below normal listening level.

I understand you might have had issues and I am not debating that so please, no need for a back and forth with specifics, I am just offering a counterpoint for anyone thinking about buying a Zen DAC 3 that might read your comments and get the impression that channel imbalance is a common issue that will effect most users, it isn’t.
IFI ZEN DAC-1 - the lack of balance between channels can be forgiven
This is the first version, some childhood defects may occur
IFI ZEN DAC-2 - I replaced my unit twice without success
I checked in the store at exhibitions - this applies to each unit/potentiometer to a greater or lesser extent with IEM 16 and less ohms.
IFI ZEN-DAC-3 - out of pure curiosity, I will check it out in the store

Just ask IFI to add information that ZENDAC is only recommended for higher resistances of 32ohm and above.
IFI - has excellent knowledge and is able to use good quality potentiometers in higher models.
Well, the ZEN DAC series is cheaper and the future audiophile customer is not demanding? and will not hear it and does not use this volume area.

We reach a situation where, as customers, when we politely report a problem to the manufacturer,
we are ignored and we automatically accept the shortcomings and defects of new versions of the product.

I don't know if this is an accurate comparison - I have a bike with 12 gears
I usually use 4-5 of them, but all of them are functional and maybe not very often, but I can use the entire range of 12 gears because that's what they were designed for and the manufacturer refined it.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #87 of 172
IFI ZEN DAC-1 - the lack of balance between channels can be forgiven
This is the first version, some childhood defects may occur
IFI ZEN DAC-2 - I replaced my unit twice without success
I checked in the store at exhibitions - this applies to each unit/potentiometer to a greater or lesser extent with IEM 16 and less ohms.
IFI ZEN-DAC-3 - out of pure curiosity, I will check it out in the store

Just ask IFI to add information that ZENDAC is only recommended for higher resistances of 32ohm and above.
IFI - has excellent knowledge and is able to use good quality potentiometers in higher models.
Well, the ZEN DAC series is cheaper and the future audiophile customer is not demanding? and will not hear it and does not use this volume area.

We reach a situation where, as customers, when we politely report a problem to the manufacturer,
we are ignored and we automatically accept the shortcomings and defects of new versions of the product.

I don't know if this is an accurate comparison - I have a bike with 12 gears
I usually use 4-5 of them, but all of them are functional and maybe not very often, but I can use the entire range of 12 gears because that's what they were designed for and the manufacturer refined it.

Sensitivity of the IEM has a big role not just impedance.

But I get your point and it is valid and I say this with respect, I am not disagreeing with your sentiment at all, just offering a different perspective.

We see channel imbalance comments on Head Fi but those that comment here are probably more demanding users and versus your typical user, especially of a more budget oriented device like the Zen DAC series despite that they are well liked by 'audiophile' types also.

I understand your point but I have seen iFi's responses to this question in the past and I most definitely understand their point also.

It isn't a widespread issue with huge quantity of complaints despite a vocal minority that talk about it on social media and forums making it seem like a huge deal, the happy customers are in the majority but they don't talk about the fact that they are happy and don't have issues which obviously skews the perception of how much of a problem this is for most people.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #88 of 172
Can't we have one for review? :relieved: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

Apr 21, 2024 at 8:38 PM Post #90 of 172
Well then... Should I upgrade my v2 to the v3?
No, there is nothing in the marketing material that would imply this is audibly better then the v2, in any way shape or form. Infact one or two the the dynamic range numbers or something look are worse then the v2. Which is, very strange if true.

If you really want a zen dac upgrade *specifically*, i recommend the zen dac sig v2, or zen one sig.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back