iFi Audio Zen Dac 3... Plug In, World Out!
Apr 17, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #46 of 172
I refuse to pay for something I loathe, that is a farce and I will never use. Ergo…I ain’t buying any thing that has it. It is the musical equivalent of “The Emperor’s New Clothes”. And yes, I did a totally blind test of it years ago. It doesn’t make any difference in sound quality. You are the Emperor of frAudio if you pay for “nothing”. :L3000::beyersmile:

Just wondering if they give you the MQA decoder for free, would you take it?

Or if they could provide two models, one with MQA decoder and one without and both models have the same price, would you buy the one w/o MQA? :thinking:

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:53 PM Post #48 of 172
I disagree with that. It just adds licensing costs.
Sure because you don't use MQA. People who use MQA will disagree with you.
I myself don't use Qobuz or Tidal, tried both and did not like it. But I know there are many others who do.

Also from what I know, IFI's MQA decoder is in the hardware (in the XMOS chip). If it was in the Software, they could sell 2 versions of the DAC - with and without MQA without additional manufacturing costs. Anyways for what it offers, it's one of the cheapest DACs on the market.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #50 of 172
Sure because you don't use MQA. People who use MQA will disagree with you.
I myself don't use Qobuz or Tidal, tried both and did not like it. But I know there are many others who do.

Agree, I don't want to pay for Qobuz or Tidal but I won't ask them to cut these as someone may need these.

Actually, these discussion let me think...

Do you really use 768k? or DSD512? I never heard of anyone say they don't want to pay for 768k/DSD512 (even if they don't use these high bitrate). Why? :thinking: (the makers may not need to pay licensing fee for these but they still need to pay h/w cost to support these features)

There is one simple answer. They just hate MQA. They want to get rid of MQA (like virus) from this world. :floatsmile:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #51 of 172
Agree, I don't want to pay for Qobuz or Tidal but I won't ask them to cut these as someone may need these.

Actually, these discussion let me think...

Do you really use 768k? or DSD512? I never heard of anyone say they don't want to pay for 768k/DSD512 (even if they don't use these high bitrate). Why? :thinking: (the makers may not need to pay licensing fee for these but they still need to pay h/w cost to support these features)

There is one simple answer. They just hate MQA. They want to get rid of MQA (like virus) from this world. :floatsmile:
Yes, I do. Because it is a proven scam.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #53 of 172
Just wondering if they give you the MQA decoder for free, would you take it?

Or if they could provide two models, one with MQA decoder and one without and both models have the same price, would you buy the one w/o MQA? :thinking:
The cost is in the price. I cannot recall which manufacturer dropped MQA a year or two back but the price of their DAC without it dropped by $100. The fellow that created this farce wanted it on every form of music delivery he could as they would have to pay him for that dubious privilige . If you want it, pay for it. If you do not want it, then why should you still pay for it being there? Get one with out it!

Some have said they don’t want Dolby Atmos. Then do not buy anything with it. Simple. I have films that are in Mono. I listen to them in fartificial stereo or mono. Films in Atmos or any other variant are usually automatically detected and decoded. Same with stereo and mono. There are fine 2.1 channel HDMI equipped AVRs for them with nothing but mono and stereo (2.1). I recently bought a DAC/AMP from FiiO, the KA5 because it does not have MQA. That is why I waited and bought it when it came on the market. No BS-MQA fee!

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:19 PM Post #54 of 172
I just ordered from Audio Advisor.

Unfortunately I no longer own the Zen DAC V2, so I can't do a side-by-side. But it doesn't seem like it should've changed much, sound-wise? I don't think it's a question of whether I'll like it. I know I'll like it. It's just getting to hear a sound that I liked for years again.

Frankly the main reason I think I'd prefer this over something like the Kensei is that volume knob. Always one of the smoothest, and far superior to pressing buttons on a dongle DAC. (I use my laptop for audio, so it's not a matter of having the smallest, most portable device).

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #55 of 172
The fellow that created this farce wanted it on every form of music delivery he could as they would have to pay him for that dubious privilige
I think MQA is owned by a different company now. The things you mentioned is history. With that guy out of the picture, would that change your mind?

Having said that, you have your choice but other people do have their own choices too.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:25 PM Post #56 of 172
Unfortunately I no longer own the Zen DAC V2, so I can't do a side-by-side. But it doesn't seem like it should've changed much, sound-wise
My wild guess is that it would be very similar sound-wise. Based on the spec, only X-Bass and 768k/DSD512 are new. If you use TrueBass before, then X-Bass, I think, should be different.

Apr 17, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #57 of 172
I don't think it's released yet. I tried to order it, but it's not possible. We will have to wait a bit till someone gets a hold of it and hope that someone also has or heard the Zen DAC v2.
It should be in stock through our distributors and is available on our website...(there was a glitch but has been corrected)

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-dac-3/

Cheers!!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 17, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #60 of 172
"The ZEN DAC 3 continues its legendary status by doubling its high-resolution support up to 768kHz, DSD512, and MQA decoding capabilities."

You have to be joking...legendary and MQA are incompatible in every way. Why would you continue to force the FARCE® upon your customers? I shall never kowtow to Emperor Blob Stufart and his FARCE® MQA.

FTN.

Can you explain what is legendary or provide some links to relevant info?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back