iFi audio ZEN CAN Signature 6XX / ZEN DAC Signature now sold by iFi !!!
Mar 27, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #256 of 392
Mar 31, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #257 of 392
Hello folks!

today I recevied the bundle and the first impression was amazing :relaxed:
I did some comparison on the same track with my actual sound card (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) and the differences that I can hear are a lot.
As I already said in a different thread I'm really impressed by the audio quality improvement using the DAC+CAN instead my past gear:
I found these BIG characteristics (take it as it was, I'm a naabz about HiFi but I think to have a decent hear that can easily get also small differences):

-clarity: this one is the first thing that you can get on the first listening, the various sounds are well defferentiated/separated from each other
-space: well, after this nicely spearation you can also hear a fantastic stage, open and well defined
-power: right now I'm not using cans with high impedance (AKG K 240 MKII and K 702) so high power isn't needed to drive it but, at the moment, the volume for me is already high and enjoyable at position 11 (PowerMatch at 0db) so I'm sure that there would be no problem also with more demanding cans

My listening tests have been made using some FLAC albums on Foobar2000 and I really liked how the stack worked out, I finally heard some interesting details that I never got before.
At the moment I'm using Spotify but I'm thinking to move on Tidal soon.

In the end, just a brief reference to the ActiveEQ that I tried but doesn't "sounded" interesting for me and didn't worked well with my cans.
Bass (6xx) goes too pronunced with the result to "knead" and covering the different musical instruments.
The XSpace add a bit of Surround on the scene, may or may not be liked.

Then, the aesthetics and the build quality are superb, I love these colors:

20210331_191340.jpg

To conclude, this bundle is definetly more than I was expecting in terms of sounds and details, also the value is great thanks to the 2 iPower X and the 4.4 mm custom cable on it.
As a first step in the HiFi I'm really happy to have choosed iFi!

See you guys in the next episode, maybe with something different :gs1000smile:

P.s.: Ah, I found an annoying problem when I use Foobar2000.
Basically, if I open the program then the other audio sources, like Spotify or youtube, doesn't work anymore.
In this case I have to select another audio device and then reselect the Zen.
I've already tried by deselecting the options on the "exclusive mode" on the Audio Control Panel but this behaviour doesn't change.
Nothing so critical but not the best thing in the world :sweat_smile:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #258 of 392
Hello folks!

today I recevied the bundle and the first impression was amazing :relaxed:
I did some comparison on the same track with my actual sound card (Focusrite Scarlett Solo) and the differences that I can hear are a lot.
As I already said in a different thread I'm really impressed by the audio quality improvement using the DAC+CAN instead my past gear:
I found these BIG characteristics (take it as it was, I'm a naabz about HiFi but I think to have a decent hear that can easily get also small differences):

-clarity: this one is the first thing that you can get on the first listening, the various sounds are well defferentiated/separated from each other
-space: well, after this nicely spearation you can also hear a fantastic stage, open and well defined
-power: right now I'm not using cans with high impedance (AKG K 240 MKII and K 702) so high power isn't needed to drive it but, at the moment, the volume for me is already high and enjoyable at position 11 (PowerMatch at 0db) so I'm sure that there would be no problem also with more demanding cans

My listening tests have been made using some FLAC albums on Foobar2000 and I really liked how the stack worked out, I finally heard some interesting details that I never got before.
At the moment I'm using Spotify but I'm thinking to move on Tidal soon.

In the end, just a brief reference to the ActiveEQ that I tried but doesn't "sounded" interesting for me and didn't worked well with my cans.
Bass (6xx) goes too pronunced with the result to "knead" and covering the different musical instruments.
The XSpace add a bit of Surround on the scene, may or may not be liked.

Then, the aesthetics and the build quality are superb, I love these colors:

To conclude, this bundle is definetly more than I was expecting in terms of sounds and details, also the value is great thanks to the 2 iPower X and the 4.4 mm custom cable on it.
As a first step in the HiFi I'm really happy to have choosed iFi!

See you guys in the next episode, maybe with something different :gs1000smile:

P.s.: Ah, I found an annoying problem when I use Foobar2000.
Basically, if I open the program then the other audio sources, like Spotify or youtube, doesn't work anymore.
In this case I have to select another audio device and then reselect the Zen.
I've already tried by deselecting the options on the "exclusive mode" on the Audio Control Panel but this behaviour doesn't change.
Nothing so critical but not the best thing in the world :sweat_smile:

Thanks for the love, glad you are enjoying the stack so much!

RE: exclusive mode, yes. that's the downside of many apps with the feature.

It is something you adjust to navigating over time.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:29 AM Post #259 of 392
I finally got the chance to fetch my HD650. And all I can say is: Wow! There really is a synergy between these and the cac/amp. With the HD700 it is a really good match and shows how good the 700 is/can be with a good amp. But the 650 is a way better match (in 6xx mode). Again another proof that it scales with the amp. This will definitely be one of my two home office station.

Apr 6, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #260 of 392
I finally got the chance to fetch my HD650. And all I can say is: Wow! There really is a synergy between these and the cac/amp. With the HD700 it is a really good match and shows how good the 700 is/can be with a good amp. But the 650 is a way better match (in 6xx mode). Again another proof that it scales with the amp. This will definitely be one of my two home office station.

@Toddy - Thanks for the love, so glad they are exceeding your expectations!

Apr 22, 2021 at 11:22 AM Post #261 of 392
If iFi could make it with 10 different headphone sound signatures that you can just toggle through, it could sell well.
Think how many people own beyerdynamic DT990, 880, 770, 1990

11475397.png

Attachments

• ifi.png
    ifi.png
    277.5 KB · Views: 0
May 1, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #262 of 392
Coming to the end of my time with a loan Signature stack. I've posted a review here. Enjoy!

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #264 of 392
Hello everyone,

after a while I'm finally here again but, unfortunately because I just started to experience a problem with the bundle.
I started to hear a clipping noise, just to be more clear as I'm not sure which is the right name, similar to the noise you can hear listening a vinyl.
It worked without any issue since a moment ago.

I've already tried to disconnect everything, power on/off, reboot the PC but the issue still be there.

Do you have any idea about what it can be?

Thank you :)

EDIT:
As I thought that a possible "problem" was the heat (the Can was hot in fact) I waited for a couple of hours.
When I powered on both again, Dac and Can, for 5/10 mins all worked fine but then, in addition to the clips, there was also distortions so I shut down everything again.
I think that some internal component is going to fail if isn't already happened.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 6:15 PM Post #265 of 392
As I thought that a possible "problem" was the heat (the Can was hot in fact) I waited for a couple of hours.
When I powered on both again, Dac and Can, for 5/10 mins all worked fine but then, in addition to the clips, there was also distortions so I shut down everything again.
I think that some internal component is going to fail if isn't already happened.

I'm sorry to hear about that issue. Can you please open up a support ticket at our platform here?

https://support.ifi-audio.com

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jul 6, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #267 of 392
Jul 6, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #268 of 392
Hello everyone!

Ok, in this last two days I did some tests, like completely removing all the cables attached on both and cleaned a bit as they are under one monitor so, when I clean this one a bit of dust go up of them.
So, in the end I also swtiched the USB port on the DAC and repowered.

Well, yesterday night I didn't have any problem and also since this evening is working normally.
I don't know what happened in that two days were I experienced this issue.

I hope that it was just something related to the cables management but, I had already tried to swtich the balanced cable before.

Anyway, all's well that ends well :D
Thank you again iFi :wink:

EDIT (again :sweat_smile: ): I knw that I had to not post yet.
The clipping is back so I will proceed with support :triportsad:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back