iFi audio ZEN CAN Signature 6XX / ZEN DAC Signature now sold by iFi !!!
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #274 of 393
How does the dac(only) compare to chord mojo? Anybody here got them both to compare?
I have the mojo but I want a balanced dac. Would it be a upgrade?

I'm sure someone around these parts can help you out with a comparison!

Aug 3, 2021 at 7:02 AM Post #276 of 393
Hi everyone,
I have just found this thread this morning and read through all 19 pages
And I have just received the Zen dac signature this afternoon. I was a little surprise because the e-commerce site showed me that the dac would come to me on this saturday
This is the first time I have bought an audio device from an European company so I am very excited
The box and the Zen dac signature are beautiful and stylish. Even the power adapter is beautiful as well haha
Initially I have some issues with wasapi and asio on the Foobar app that I had not met with Schiit dacs and the Apple usb-c dongle
I find the Zen dac sounds denser and extended when using the IpowerX compared to only usb-powering
My first impression is the Zen sounds more "normal" compared to Schiit ds and multibit dacs. And it doesn't mean negative as Schiit dacs while they always make me impressive at first, they sound weird and "not right" to my ears later
I will come back with more thoughts on the Zen.

Attachments

• 1627987921676.png
    1627987921676.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6669.jpg
    IMG_6669.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #277 of 393
Hi All,

I kindly hope to get some advice here...

I read that the Zen DAC v2 is an MQA decoder, while the Zen Dac Sig is an MQA renderer, as I'm primarily listening via Roon and Tidal, really are looking forward for MQA capabilities. I am not owner of Senn headphones, well yet... I guess cuz I am saving for the Senn HD 820.

Now, I'm about to pull the trigger on the stack... however is anyone here have compared the Signature Stack with the Zen Dac V2 and Zen Can Stack? is it better to get the V2 Stack or the Sig Stack?

With the current lock down situation it is not possible for me to audition them side by side... and sadly my long standing theorem are clipping ever more... so an upgrade is a must for now.

Certainly hope that there are folks here that already listen both of the Zen Sig and Zen Can V2 can chime in... Thanks!

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #278 of 393
Hi All,

I read that the Zen DAC v2 is an MQA decoder, while the Zen Dac Sig is an MQA renderer, as I'm primarily listening via Roon and Tidal, really are looking forward for MQA capabilities. I am not owner of Senn headphones, well yet... I guess cuz I am saving for the Senn HD 820.

Now, I'm about to pull the trigger on the stack... however is anyone here have compared the Signature Stack with the Zen Dac V2 and Zen Can Stack? is it better to get the V2 Stack or the Sig Stack?

With the current lock down situation it is not possible for me to audition them side by side... and sadly my long standing theorem are clipping ever more... so an upgrade is a must for now.

Certainly hope that there are folks here that already listen both of the Zen Sig and Zen Can V2 can chime in... Thanks!
Hi,

I have both and I have a slight preference for the Signature stack which I find a tad warmer and with a nicer design / colour scheme.

Wether the first MQA unfold is done by the software or the DAC does not make any audible difference to me.

If you can find the Signature bundle online, it has the advantage of coming with 2 iPowerX power supplies included and the iFi balanced interconnect: great value.

Best,

Aug 3, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #279 of 393
Hi everyone,
I have just found this thread this morning and read through all 19 pages
And I have just received the Zen dac signature this afternoon. I was a little surprise because the e-commerce site showed me that the dac would come to me on this saturday
This is the first time I have bought an audio device from an European company so I am very excited
The box and the Zen dac signature are beautiful and stylish. Even the power adapter is beautiful as well haha
Initially I have some issues with wasapi and asio on the Foobar app that I had not met with Schiit dacs and the Apple usb-c dongle
I find the Zen dac sounds denser and extended when using the IpowerX compared to only usb-powering
My first impression is the Zen sounds more "normal" compared to Schiit ds and multibit dacs. And it doesn't mean negative as Schiit dacs while they always make me impressive at first, they sound weird and "not right" to my ears later
I will come back with more thoughts on the Zen.

Thanks! The iPower is indeed an excellent add-on.

Hi All,

Hi,

I have both and I have a slight preference for the Signature stack which I find a tad warmer and with a nicer design / colour scheme.

Wether the first MQA unfold is done by the software or the DAC does not make any audible difference to me.

If you can find the Signature bundle online, it has the advantage of coming with 2 iPowerX power supplies included and the iFi balanced interconnect: great value.

Best,

What he said!

Ah, I ordered it 2 days ago. It seems good.

Wonderful! Thank you.

Aug 4, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #280 of 393
More impression on the Zen dac signature compared to the similar priced dac from Schiit: the Modi multibit v2
- The Zen has much more details in the mids and treble.
- Better microdynamic. Doesn't have the wall-of-sound effect of the Modi that causes claustrophobic feeling.
- Coming from the Modi, I feel some "hardness" in the sound of the Zen. But the voice has the right amount of thickness, instruments get okay timbre. The Modi has an over-thick tone.
- The Modi sounds more tangible, maybe because it adds noise into the sound. The bass on the Modi sounds more impressive with better slam, texture and fun. But sometimes it is too much.
- Midrange on both dacs can be deemed sweet.
Bonus: The Zen doesn't have the shouty/distortion in the high-mids like the Modi 3. And I much prefer the tone of the Zen to the Modi 3 after long listening.
I will sell both the Modi dacs and keep the Zen.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #281 of 393
More impression on the Zen dac signature compared to the similar priced dac from Schiit: the Modi multibit v2
- The Zen have much more details in the mids and treble.
- Better microdynamic. Doesn't have the wall-of-sound effect of the Modi that causes claustrophobic feeling.
- Coming from the Modi, I feel some "hardness" in the sound of the Zen. But the voice has the right amount of thickness, instruments get okay timbre. The Modi has an over-thick tone.
- The Modi sounds more tangible, maybe because it adds noise into the sound. The bass on the Modi sounds more impressive with better slam, texture and fun. But sometimes it is too much.
- Midrange on both dacs can be deemed sweet.
Bonus: The Zen doesn't have the shouty/distortion in the high-mids like the Modi 3. And I much prefer the tone of the Zen to the Modi 3 after long listening.
I will sell both the Modi dacs and keep the Zen.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and enjoy :beerchug:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 5, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #282 of 393
Good evening everyone,

after a while I'm back with some good and not so good news about the problem with the bundle.

As suggested I proceeded by opening a support ticket to iFi and after reporting the issue and the tests already made, I did some other tests requested by the support.
In the end as the issue still persist they asked me to sent the bundle back to their Service Center here in EU so they can have a look and, in case, replacing it with a new one and this was nice.

I didn't received any communication about the status of the RMA, or the checks, and ok, not foundamental but it could be nice to know what's going on, like if they found something or if the product will be replaced.

Today unexpectedly I received a package and I found that it was "him" (the bundle).
As I first look I saw that it was a new one and not my old one sent back three weeks ago.

Good, I really was so excited but, when I opened first the DAC and then the CAN, instead of the two iPower X I found two iPower 2 inside, and this is the not so good part.
As I already reported in a previous post here, one the things that prompted me to buy the bundle was the presence of the two iPower X power supply.

photo_2021-08-05_22-49-17.jpg

These power supply works? I guess yes but they are not the same as the ones that should be in the package, as reported.

Said that, I think that the bundle will stay on his pack for a long time.
So, in the end, the support seems works fine as expected and, maybe, with some communication lacks in the final process.
Then, of course, I'm absolutely disappointed about that.

Thank you anyway for the support.

Last edited:
Aug 8, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #284 of 393
@iFi audio May I ask what happen if I plug both the rca and 4.4 cables into the Zen dac sig at the same time? Can I listen to 2 headphones (via 2 separated amps) at the same time? Tks
IIRC signal is sent to both outputs and one doesn't disengage the other, so you should be able to listen to two headphones. But again, I'd have to double-check that.

Good, I really was so excited but, when I opened first the DAC and then the CAN, instead of the two iPower X I found two iPower 2 inside, and this is the not so good part.
Just to clarify, is this the set that you bought?

https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-signature-set/

if so, 2x iPower X should be in the package.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 12, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #285 of 393
Hi @iFi audio. I am planning to buy the Zen can signature. I have some questions:
1. How much better is the balanced output compared to the single-ended output on the Zen dac singature in term of sound quality? I guess 10-20%, please correct me if I am wrong.
2. If I use my Audeze LCD-2's 6.3mm cable, is it better to connect the Zen dac with the Zen can via single-ended (RCA) cables? I think the circuit on the Zen can has not to convert the signal (ba to se) thus better outcome sound?
Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back