iFi audio ZEN Blue - The Official Thread
Nov 17, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #301 of 493
So here's the thing with the bit in bold. I configured the Bluetooth connection on my LG V30 to use the best audio quality straight after pairing. When I went into the Developer Settings, I saw my BT connection was LDAC. This was confirmed in the Zen Blue showing a cyan light. However, the Developer Settings option called Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality is showing Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate). It loses the setting of Optimized for Audio Quality. Nevertheless, the Bluetooth configuration setting of best audio quality seems to set the connection to LDAC anyway, so all is good!

In other words, I only had to configure the Bluetooth connection once in the V30 after pairing with the Zen Blue to best audio quality and it always connects using LDAC. Straight after pairing (it shows the Blue as a headphone) my V30 showed a popup asking me to set the audio quality.

I've now tested the sound quality in one of my HiFi systems that uses a NAD D 3020 V2 integrated amplifier connected via coax to the Blue and the sound quality is very good indeed! That's using a digital coax connection from the Blue to the NAD amp via coax, so it'll be using the DAC in the amp which is a fairly average DAC.
To use the highest BT bitrate without problems, you could possibly have to replace the aerial on the back of the Zen Blue, which is a bit naff. In practice Best Effort/Adaptive sounds pretty good anyway. It's not easy to hear the difference between it and 990kbps.

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #302 of 493
To use the highest BT bitrate without problems, you could possibly have to replace the aerial on the back of the Zen Blue, which is a bit naff. In practice Best Effort/Adaptive sounds pretty good anyway. It's not easy to hear the difference between it and 990kbps.

This! We're big believers in trusting what you hear but also believers in using whatever codec best fits your needs and sound preferences - that's why we provide all the most popular options!

Nov 17, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #303 of 493
This! We're big believers in trusting what you hear but also believers in using whatever codec best fits your needs and sound preferences - that's why we provide all the most popular options!
Also I understand it would be difficult to put a massive aerial on the Zen Blue. I did change mine for a cheap £5 aerial which does make quite a difference and I get LDAC 990kbps with no problem. I am not complaining in the slightest because the Zen Blue is a fantastic piece of kit. I've had Aptx receivers, Aptx-HD receivers and at the moment this Zen Blue is the best value around. I have used lossless wireless, but I prefer the ease of use of the Zen Blue. I ♥ my Zen Blue.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:25 PM Post #304 of 493
Also I understand it would be difficult to put a massive aerial on the Zen Blue. I did change mine for a cheap £5 aerial which does make quite a difference and I get LDAC 990kbps with no problem. I am not complaining in the slightest because the Zen Blue is a fantastic piece of kit. I've had Aptx receivers, Aptx-HD receivers and at the moment this Zen Blue is the best value around. I have used lossless wireless, but I prefer the ease of use of the Zen Blue. I ♥ my Zen Blue.

Correct and correct!

Glad you are enjoying the Zen blue so much :)

Nov 17, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #305 of 493
Great!

If you use Amazon Music you can tweak with its built in eq to get things sounding just right. Might be possible with Spotify (unless it kills it's eq while using Bluetooth) I am pretty sure Qobuz and Tidal don't have eq's

I sent my Zen Blue back because i am preferring a wired USB 192k 24bit connection

But I think it's a good product.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #306 of 493
@iFi audio
Something i noticed on the technotes was it says 50ohms impedance? Is that related to the RCA out? Only as i know most cables are 75ohms arent they?
I used digital rca out the Zen to my DAC.
Sorry for the confusion.. thought i need a matching cable to stop reflections..

Thanks

Dave

Nov 22, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #307 of 493
I did try the Toslink out into my Qutest and it wasnt bad at all. Just a cheap cable as the Qutest is suppose to be excellent for Toslink quoted by Rob Watts.. i ordered a couple of Real glass toslink cables to see if i can get a cleaner signal... Mainly as @iFi audio Mentioned grounding and Toshlink has no rf issues on or ground loops. On a Headamp thread..

Best ive found is SYS concept inc in Canada that isnt a brand name mega money 1300 strands 0.3 micron polished over the24 bit 192 spec and a dicontinued real fibre optic of ebay bit ill try both and get back if they helped but so far it sound good a little cleaner in parts.. with the £4 one...

Anyone try this?

Dave

Nov 23, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #308 of 493
Anyone try this?

I have not personally, but I'm sure there are some folks around these parts who have or have similar parts on hand!

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #309 of 493
@iFi audio
Sorry you didnt answer the query?
Thanks
Dave

@iFi audio
Something i noticed on the technotes was it says 50ohms impedance? Is that related to the RCA out? Only as i know most cables are 75ohms arent they?
I used digital rca out the Zen to my DAC.
Sorry for the confusion.. thought i need a matching cable to stop reflections..

Thanks

Dave

Dec 7, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #310 of 493
Just arrived from Japan, i got this as its the cheapest real glass fibre on the market i can find. Discontinued..
From the cheap amazon £5 plastic one it has made a difference.

Sound reasoning says it shouldnt make a difference from what i have read, it works or it doesnt but less attenuation with more light going straight through rather than a beam and lots bouncing around... jitter...

Regardless of what you think( confirmation bias) it sounds better trope.. highs a little more detailed Bass more pronounced. Different at least... i like it just getting use to the overall presentation...
Rob Watts approved...

Again value proposition Zen alone great..
You can squeeze more out.. The psu is £350 plus a £50 glass fibre... better Aerial £5 ...hmm
But at least i know toslink works well on the Qutest as its isolated,max throughput to the receiver with glass, ups the game..
Zen does its job very well....

But if your dac has Toslink give it a try on a cheap cable..

Just adding a bit more info for Zen users, hope its useful..

Good.luck and happy xmass all
David😁

I already had the Uptone PSU so it swapped jobs on the usb to Zen....IFI have cheaper alternatives..

Attachments

• 20201207_182259.jpg
    20201207_182259.jpg
    951.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #313 of 493
Hi day trader, i thought i read something about that, i did some googling bit cant find anything, do tou have an example please..
Thank you
Dave
Hi Dave, I did an online search for it before I posted in hopes of finding the name of the product but had no luck. I will look in my drawer, we all have one, of audio gear stuff to see if I can come up with the product. It probably won’t be any good now but at least I can get you the name of the manufacture. If I do I will post. Maybe someone else will know as well. You are welcome, Dean

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #314 of 493
Very kind of you, at least to expand my knowledge.... internal ckeaning seems a mystery as well... fibre optic wipes for cables but no advice for Toslink. IPA and a cotton bud maybe but not the best...

Cheers
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back