iFi audio ZEN Blue - The Official Thread
Nov 8, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #286 of 493
It was a throw away spend before i sent my Zen back for repair. But my set up is so untidy my batmobile aerial fits in..
I did think a can of plasticote white could work but its always dodgy trying to paint some plastics. It might work a good clean and mask up the connector. From Dark Knight to white Angel...

Nov 9, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #287 of 493
I prefer to send the Blue Zen hi res audio from my DAP but Spotify with some eq love, via AAC sounds pretty great too.

Nov 13, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #289 of 493
I prefer to send the Blue Zen hi res audio from my DAP but Spotify with some eq love, via AAC sounds pretty great too.

Glad you're enjoying it!

I've just ordered a Zen Blue to use in a small HiFi system. My plan is to stream from LG V30 using aptX HD to the Blue, and have the Blue connected to a vintage amp. I hope it works well!

Drop your impressions here when you get everything in and going! Look forward to seeing what you think :)

Nov 13, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #294 of 493
I don’t think my LG V30 phone does LDAC. I’ll have to check and it would be a pleasant surprise if it does.
I've got the LG V30 and in the developer options you can choose LDAC (if Android system is kept up to date). APTX-HD can be useful if there are problems using the LDAC signal, but if you can use it LDAC sounds a little better in the highs. I run the Zen Blue to a Cambridge T-Amp and Wharfedale Diamond speakers and I love it. Enjoy.

Nov 14, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #296 of 493
Quick question(s) about the Zen Blue: does it come with a twin RCA interconnect cable? If so, what is the approximate length of this cable?

Yes, it does, it's 21 inches!

Nov 15, 2020 at 11:47 PM Post #297 of 493
Given the following audio chain:

LG V30 phone with MQA —> BT 5.0 LDAC —> iFi Zen Blue—> RCA—> Amplifier

What would be the decoding quality on the Blue if I played an MQA song on my V30 in terms of sample rate and bit depth at the point of the D-to-A conversion?

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:45 AM Post #298 of 493
I've just received my Blue! Haven't connected it into anything just yet, but the cyan lights colour shows an LDAC connection with my LG V30+ phone without any issues whatsoever.

One thing I did notice was that the lights are quite bright for a dark bedroom at night. Is there a way to switch off the lights on the Blue, or have them very dim? If not, I could stick car window film tint onto the front to subdue the brightness of the lights.

Nov 17, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #299 of 493
You can turn it sideways to face something to block the light. To get the best audio make sure you access the blutooth settings buried in "developer options" on your phone to force best quality LDAC. And if you have the option feed your system digital outs from the Zen Blue (Optical or Coax)

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 12:04 PM Post #300 of 493
You can turn it sideways to face something to block the light. To get the best audio make sure you access the blutooth settings buried in "developer options" on your phone to force best quality LDAC. And if you have the option feed your system digital outs from the Zen Blue (Optical or Coax)

So here's the thing with the bit in bold. I configured the Bluetooth connection on my LG V30 to use the best audio quality straight after pairing. When I went into the Developer Settings, I saw my BT connection was LDAC. This was confirmed in the Zen Blue showing a cyan light. However, the Developer Settings option called Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality is showing Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate). It loses the setting of Optimized for Audio Quality. Nevertheless, the Bluetooth configuration setting of best audio quality seems to set the connection to LDAC anyway, so all is good!

In other words, I only had to configure the Bluetooth connection once in the V30 after pairing with the Zen Blue to best audio quality and it always connects using LDAC. Straight after pairing (it shows the Blue as a headphone) my V30 showed a popup asking me to set the audio quality.

I've now tested the sound quality in one of my HiFi systems that uses a NAD D 3020 V2 integrated amplifier connected via coax to the Blue and the sound quality is very good indeed! That's using a digital coax connection from the Blue to the NAD amp via coax, so it'll be using the DAC in the amp which is a fairly average DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back