iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Jan 28, 2019 at 10:50 AM Post #1,216 of 2,505
Another attempt on making my own mini OTG cable.
DSC_0151.jpg

Jan 28, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,219 of 2,505
Has anyone experienced a random bricking from charging?

I got my xDSD yesterday. It arrived about 50-75% charged. I listened to it for about an hour, mostly just comparing it to the Nano iDSD and Chord Mojo... Fantastic sound.

I was planning on using it all day today, and I wanted to top off the charge. So I turned the unit off, and then plugged it in via the USB-micro charging input, using an appropriate cable and an outlet adaptor rated to the correct voltage.

The correct light came on, so I assumed it was charging as outlined in the instructions. But when I checked on it like half an hour later, it was dead.

Even if there was something wrong with cable or the wall adaptor, and the unit wasn’t receiving a charge, but just sitting there, somehow using battery, it still shouldn’t have been dead... It had enough charge for a couple of more hours of run-time.

Now the unit won’t power on, and attempting to charge it with different cables and other correctly-rated wall-warts does nothing. No charging light comes on at all now. The unit is bricked.

Anyone run into this? I tried to outline above precisely the steps taken- did I do something wrong?

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #1,220 of 2,505
Has anyone experienced a random bricking from charging?

My first guess is the battery (or more likely the charging circuit) might have been damaged. Try plugging it in to a PC (via the USB-A) and see if it powers up or not. In any case, you best bet is to contact iFi immediately, and perhaps stop using that particular outlet adaptor for the time being..

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #1,221 of 2,505
My first guess is the battery (or more likely the charging circuit) might have been damaged. Try plugging it in to a PC (via the USB-A) and see if it powers up or not. In any case, you best bet is to contact iFi immediately, and perhaps stop using that particular outlet adaptor for the time being..
Oh yeah, I haven’t used that initial adaptor or cable since that first charge. I actually used a different outlet too, ha ha. I’ll probably just send it back to Amazon rather than going through iFi...

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #1,222 of 2,505
Looks really good!

It's not only identical in colour and finish, but made of the same metal! (I admit, I did the trusty mouth test) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jan 28, 2019 at 9:26 PM Post #1,223 of 2,505
So I turned the unit off, and then plugged it in via the USB-micro charging input, using an appropriate cable and an outlet adaptor rated to the correct voltage.

Ooooh, yet another victim of using a 3rd party USB cable...
Not judging as both my wife and I have killed several USB devices with shotty cables.

Remember folks, not all cables are equal!

:sunglasses:

Jan 28, 2019 at 11:14 PM Post #1,225 of 2,505
Ooooh, yet another victim of using a 3rd party USB cable...
Not judging as both my wife and I have killed several USB devices with shotty cables.

Remember folks, not all cables are equal!

:sunglasses:
I dunno. The cables I used are all Sony-branded... They came with PlayStation controllers.

And the xDSD doesn’t come with a charging cable for the micro USB input, so technically any cable I used was going to be a 3rd party cable...

I feel you on bad cables, though. I try not to get the cheap ones...

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #1,226 of 2,505
I dunno. The cables I used are all Sony-branded... They came with PlayStation controllers.

My PS3 USB cable messed up my XBOX One controller, and killed my vape unit...
I have learned to use only what is supplied with the product. At best they simply won't work, but why chance it. Sure, schiit happens, but better play it safe, especially with used cables with expensive devices.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:02 AM Post #1,227 of 2,505
My PS3 USB cable messed up my XBOX One controller, and killed my vape unit...
I have learned to use only what is supplied with the product. At best they simply won't work, but why chance it. Sure, schiit happens, but better play it safe, especially with used cables with expensive devices.
Preaching to the choir. But again, iFi doesn’t include a USB charging cable with the xDSD... If they had, I’d have used it...

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #1,228 of 2,505
Preaching to the choir. But again, iFi doesn’t include a USB charging cable with the xDSD... If they had, I’d have used it...

What what what? If anything iFi included too many cables with the xDSD, including a charge cable... at least mine did in which I am currently using. That does not seem right. This is seeming more and more like an Amazon issue, though I am 100% positive iFi will make things right; They always do which is why I hold the company in such high regard.

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #1,229 of 2,505
No charging cable with mine. Also just watched an unboxing on YouTube and no charging cable?

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:23 AM Post #1,230 of 2,505
No charging cable with mine. Also just watched an unboxing on YouTube and no charging cable?

Serious? Hmm... well then. Guess I am special!? Damn, will have to wait for @iFi audio 's response before I make any more statements I can't back up.

P.S. Booya! this post is my 1000th!

Attachments

• Asses.jpg
    Asses.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back