iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Jan 29, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #1,231 of 2,505
Oh yeah, I haven’t used that initial adaptor or cable since that first charge. I actually used a different outlet too, ha ha. I’ll probably just send it back to Amazon rather than going through iFi...

Sony frequently uses proprietary wiring schemes with standard connectors. Most likely you didn’t damage it, but just didn’t power the charging circuit. Try a standard micro usb charging cable (not an otg cable) and see if it charges.

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:07 AM Post #1,232 of 2,505
Serious? Hmm... well then. Guess I am special!? Damn, will have to wait for @iFi audio 's response before I make any more statements I can't back up.
What came with mine, here is the picture.

P.S. Booya! this post is my 1000th!
Lucky you! Yeah, those charge cables were not in my box... I wonder if iFi used to include them and stopped? Congrats on the 1000 posts!

Jan 29, 2019 at 6:02 AM Post #1,233 of 2,505
No charging cable with mine. Also just watched an unboxing on YouTube and no charging cable?

My take is that the blue USB cable is the charging cable, at least from what I remember when unboxing xDSD myself.

Serious? Hmm... well then. Guess I am special!? Damn, will have to wait for @iFi audio 's response before I make any more statements I can't back up.
What came with mine, here is the picture.

P.S. Booya! this post is my 1000th!

I'm not sure if I have the two blue cables you have on the right (?)

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #1,234 of 2,505
Not sure if it was already mentioned in this thread, but it seems iFi has changed several things with newer batches of the XDSD.

Actually I bought one right when it came out about a year ago and I just got it warranty exchanged for a new one. First thing I noticed is the rubber feet are not round anymore but square shaped. Also, the color seems to be slightly darker (not 100% sure though). Package has changed a little, too - and it now comes with a different black charging cable. But maybe the best thing is that some of its quirks that I have experienced have disappeared: Bluetooth seems more stable for sure and it finally always auto connects to to the device you have used before (the old one did not do it, for whatever reason). Also the weird beeping sounds when you switch on the device have disappeared...

It seems iFi is constantly working on/changing this device a little - which might also explain the missing cables mentioned above...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #1,235 of 2,505
Not sure if it was already mentioned in this thread, but it seems iFi has changed several things with newer batches of the XDSD.

Actually I bought one right when it came out about a year ago and I just got it warranty exchanged for a new one. First thing I noticed is the rubber feet are not round anymore but square shaped. Also, the color seems to be slightly darker (not 100% sure though). Package has changed a little, too - and it now comes with a different black charging cable. But maybe the best thing is that some of its quirks that I have experienced have disappeared: Bluetooth seems more stable for sure and it finally always auto connects to to the device you have used before (the old one did not do it, for whatever reason). Also the weird beeping sounds when you switch on the device have disappeared...

It seems iFi is constantly working on/changing this device a little - which might also explain the missing cables mentioned above...

Happy yo hear it is even better than when I first saw it :)

It was already a favorite device for me :)

Jan 29, 2019 at 12:11 PM Post #1,236 of 2,505

I find your post to be EXTREMELY helpful! Thank you for sharing!!

Jan 29, 2019 at 2:54 PM Post #1,237 of 2,505

Very interesting. :thinking:
Still doesn't explain why they would not include a charge cable for some. :confused:
Edit: I removed the pictures of my accessories. I won the tour unit, and my accessories may be different than that of production units (which was still available to purchase at the time of the tour) and I don't want to be misleading. Still, no included charge cable is baffling.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 5:21 PM Post #1,238 of 2,505

Mine appears to have all of the (apparently) newer features you describe, just no charging cable. I wonder if these changes were all released at once, or if they happened over time? Perhaps the inclusion of a charging cable was the last change to be made, and mine was produced just before that?

-Mine has the square (actually thin rectangle) feet.

-Mine does not beep when powered on.

-I can’t speak to the package, since I haven’t seen any besides mine. I guess I could google unboxing videos and compare.

-I noticed that in early reviews, the light could make the xDSD anywhere from black chrome to mirror silver. My unit is never that dark or light. It changes between slightly different shades of dark gunmetal.

-Bluetooth was a snap to set up, and seemed stable through one song, using a new 2018 iPad Pro. I only had it in BT mode for like 3-4 minutes though.

-Mine came with several cables and an adaptor, but all were female USB-A. The manual stated that only the USB-micro port was for charging, but there was no USB-micro cable included.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 5:58 PM Post #1,239 of 2,505
-Mine does not beep when powered on.

-I can’t speak to the package, since I haven’t seen any besides mine. I guess I could google unboxing videos and compare.

-I noticed that in early reviews, the light could make the xDSD anywhere from black chrome to mirror silver. My unit is never that dark or light. It changes between slightly different shades of dark gunmetal.

The manual stated that only the USB-micro port was for charging, but there was no USB-micro cable included.

The xDSD beeps when powered on? Mine does not. As for the colour change, maybe it was to match the xCAN? I still can't fathom why there would be no USB charge cable. Even the cheapest of cheap USB devices I have purchased came with a charge cable. Me thinks that perhaps the folks in the PRC messed up when boxing the units.

Jan 29, 2019 at 7:58 PM Post #1,242 of 2,505
Mine has the square (actually thin rectangle) feet.

Yep, exactly! My old one had round feet and they fell of easily. The new rectangle feet seem to be attached to the device much better!

Mine does not beep when powered on.

I think the strange beeping sounds (not a signal) with the old one were not on purpose, more like a bug. They were not loud but clearly hearable and disappeared as soon as you started playing music. So they did not bother me too much. They only came back after switching the device off and on again and only in Bluetooth mode. A friend of mine had them, too...but my new device is dead silent.

I noticed that in early reviews, the light could make the xDSD anywhere from black chrome to mirror silver. My unit is never that dark or light. It changes between slightly different shades of dark gunmetal.

Yes, that is exactly the change in color I was going to describe! The old one seemed slightly more silverish. I think the change is also visible on the pictures of the package (besides some other minor changes of the logos and stickers). But of course the latter could also be linked to a new printing method or company for the box etc.

Bluetooth was a snap to set up, and seemed stable through one song, using a new 2018 iPad Pro. I only had it in BT mode for like 3-4 minutes though.

Does it auto connect after switching it off and on? My old one did not. I had to connect it manually each time I switched it off and on. I am happy it does auto connect now.

Mine came with several cables and an adaptor, but all were female USB-A. The manual stated that only the USB-micro port was for charging, but there was no USB-micro cable included.

Interesting! My old one had a charging cable but it looked slightly different to the new one.

Maybe someone from iFi can comment on this?

By the way, it might have sounded like I asked iFi to have my device exchanged. But actually I just brought it back to the shop where I bought it to have it repaired (did not work properly in balanced mode). They sent it back to iFi and it seems they decided to exchange it. I realized about the changes only after I got it back...

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #1,243 of 2,505
Another day, another build. This is probably the last OTG cable I'll build for xDSD as I don't think it can go much smaller than what it is now. You can see how it evolves over time...

DSC_0154_resize.JPG
DSC_0155_resize.JPG
DSC_0157_resize.JPG

Jan 30, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #1,244 of 2,505
Another day, another build. This is probably the last OTG cable I'll build for xDSD as I don't think it can go much smaller than what it is now. You can see how it evolves over time...

The improvement's clearly there. We'd use something like this ourselves!

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 31, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #1,245 of 2,505
Ribbon cable! Why didn't I think of that? I'll have to grab some USB plugs next time I'm in the city and have a go at making one.

I just put the xDSD back in the car to use with my iPhone. Even with the stock system in the car it adds a subtle, but pleasant improvement to the sound, especially with classical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back