iFi audio xDSD- The Official Thread
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:24 PM Post #286 of 2,506
How does it compare sound wise against DAPs like the DX200, QP1R and X7ii?

iDSD Micro Black Label actually is able to stack up to most DAPs, with a little more power than most DAPs, and with an excellent deep soundstage, and quite a nice detail, along with a smoother sound

Curious how this one will stack up :)

Apr 20, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #287 of 2,506
is there a matte version or are both fingerprint magnets?
During CanJam NYC I played with a prototype. Its color scheme was same as their BL family (matte black with orange silk print) - which was great!
I wish iFi would introduce a matte black version, too. From photos I have seen and reviews I read, the production finish is a fingerprint magnet :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:03 PM Post #289 of 2,506
Got a chance to hear this little guy for the first time today! I heard some goofy rumors about it so I decided to investigate them my self with a little three way Dac/Amp comparison

Overall the xDSD and Mojo had different presentations but similar detail overall.

The Mojo's presentation was;
  • Slightly more natural
  • Smoother with a more relaxed presentation
    • good micro dynamics but macro dynamics are sometimes a bit too relaxed and some textures are slightly smeared as the sustain and release of instruments have a slight emphasis
  • Offering a very cohesive image
    • but can become diffuse with warmer headphones
Really and truly the Mojo finds itself pair'd better with cans like the DT 880, Aeon Flow Closed or anything that's tuned a little drier or with a slightly withdrawn midrange

The iFi xDSD on the other hand actually offers a drier presentation that pairs nicer with more relaxed and darker headphones or anything that needs a little more presance
  • Offers a spacious vivid presentation
  • No lack of discernment between micro and macro dynamics
  • Vivid with a more textured presentation
    • maintains a pleasant slight forwardness of presence and immediacy
Now the one BIG advantage the xDSD has over the Mojo is it's physical interface! BluTooth is already built in without any additional modules and the analog volume pot clicks allowing you to pause and play your music! This make single'd handed operation very easy. So in terms of function it's a bit more convenient and robust than the Mojo!

How ever the Geek Out V2+ was a smidge more resolving than both and had a presentation that drew from the strengths of each with the Green Filter. Namely it was;
Equally natural and vivid
So there was equal focus on both the initial attack/decay of the envelope of instruments as well as the sustain/decay
Better defined with a more cohesive image
Both more spacious and with offering slightly better instrument separation
Sharper dynamic presentation
Micro dynamics were easier to distinguish again'st a very black background
Now the problem with the GO V2+ is that it's no longer in production so it's not something I'll ever recommend no matter how good it is. However both the Chord Mojo an xDSD are! An each is supported by an excellent team.

The Chord Poly does airplay which is much better than Bluetooth.

Apr 21, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #290 of 2,506
The Chord Poly does airplay which is much better than Bluetooth.

Sadly I don't have any apple products so... blu-tooth is still far more versatile

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #297 of 2,506
Airplay is not only for Apple devices.
Your right! Looks like there is a third party app for AirPlay

but again, it's not something I'm using. An I don't want a third party app when I have blutooth already built into the system. trying to get wireless playback with Poly just sounds more and more cumbersome... and @Vanquished RIGHT! I always ask them this and they always say they aren't doing one... but I still hope for it lol!

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #298 of 2,506
That is a foolish thing to say especially without saying why. But I know you can’t say why.
Let's see. Chord Poly is:
  • Compatible with Mojo only (even if a custom cable was built that would allow Poly to be connected to another dac it would not work)
  • Useless on its own (requires both a Mojo and a control device to function)
  • Unnecessarily complicated to use on the go (requires setting up WiFi hotspot)
  • Remote control from mobile device uses Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth Low Energy which decreases battery life
  • Several features that drive up the cost but are an edge use-cases at best (Roon endpoint? Seriously)
  • Costs $600
To sum it up. If you're buying a Poly you're basically buying a remote controlled a DAP that has no screen, no digital outputs (other than Mojo specific ones), no analog outputs and no buttons to control it so if your phone dies, you're on your own. If your Mojo dies you're on your own. And for some reason you need to pony up $600 for such a lackluster device. Why would you choose it over a DAP from Shanling, Cayin, Hiby or even A&K is beyond me.

But hey, at least it's a Roon endpoint.

Apr 21, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #299 of 2,506
People get poly because they want a wireless mojo. Easy

Now that the xDSD is out, they'll just pick between two different flavors of sound.

Edit : read the following post

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #300 of 2,506
Let's see. Chord Poly is:
  • Compatible with Mojo only (even if a custom cable was built that would allow Poly to be connected to another dac it would not work)
  • Useless on its own (requires both a Mojo and a control device to function)
  • Unnecessarily complicated to use on the go (requires setting up WiFi hotspot)
  • Remote control from mobile device uses Wi-Fi instead of Bluetooth Low Energy which decreases battery life
  • Several features that drive up the cost but are an edge use-cases at best (Roon endpoint? Seriously)
  • Costs $600
To sum it up. If you're buying a Poly you're basically buying a remote controlled a DAP that has no screen, no digital outputs (other than Mojo specific ones), no analog outputs and no buttons to control it so if your phone dies, you're on your own. If your Mojo dies you're on your own. And for some reason you need to pony up $600 for such a lackluster device. Why would you choose it over a DAP from Shanling, Cayin, Hiby or even A&K is beyond me.

But hey, at least it's a Roon endpoint.
Woah, 600? Now that's a bit too much. I thought it was around 200 considering what it offered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back