iFi audio Pro iDSD Signature and Pro iCAN Signature - The Pro range just got better!
Jun 8, 2022 at 8:08 AM Post #601 of 866
This is honestly what is mostly keeping me from just buying the Pro iDSD Signature, the omission of that. I know it seems have been a quite heated discussion about that in this thread before so perhaps no need to repeat that, but still. Getting an iCAN just for that just does not seem right. What would be the best work around if you still want that feature, having a software based EQ running on the PC and perhaps tie a macro to it to quickly enable/disable it?
Software is a good choice. I use SoundSource with Fabfilter Pro Q3 on my Mac (for much more than a bass boost), I'm sure someone here can recommend a good alternative for Windows!

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:12 AM Post #602 of 866
Software is a good choice. I use SoundSource with Fabfilter Pro Q3 on my Mac (for much more than a bass boost), I'm sure someone here can recommend a good alternative for Windows!

I've actually just installed FxSound which seem to be free for all now and so far I like it. It seems to be updated and modern and not to over the top complicated like Equalizer APO. Having only tried it for a few minutes, I shouldn't really review it but so far so good.

https://www.fxsound.com/

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #603 of 866
Maybe picking a headphone that is on the bass heavy side to begin with ?

I dont EQ at all...Just listen to music I like and if its well done the bass is there if not its not and your just adding stuff that my or may not please your ears...
I got both after lots of internal soul searching, this gear is not cheap...so the buy decision is not to be taken likely for sure.

Just cranking up the gain on the iDSD would help on the low end as well...

Good luck in your choice!! Either one or ones with this gear will be fine...

Jun 8, 2022 at 1:58 PM Post #604 of 866
This is honestly what is mostly keeping me from just buying the Pro iDSD Signature, the omission of that. I know it seems have been a quite heated discussion about that in this thread before so perhaps no need to repeat that, but still. Getting an iCAN just for that just does not seem right. What would be the best work around if you still want that feature, having a software based EQ running on the PC and perhaps tie a macro to it to quickly enable/disable it?

It's important to keep in mind that ASP (what the Pro iCAN Signature uses) and DSP (what you're suggesting) are two inherently different processes.

Even with DSP matched to the exact frequencies, the end result of DSP won't exactly be the same.

Jun 13, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #605 of 866
It's important to keep in mind that ASP (what the Pro iCAN Signature uses) and DSP (what you're suggesting) are two inherently different processes.

Even with DSP matched to the exact frequencies, the end result of DSP won't exactly be the same.
Could you elaborate on this? I’m interested in learning more.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #607 of 866
Would anyone recommend the Pro IDSD Signature alone to get the most out of HD800S? Or does it fall short? Thanks
More than enough power. But tbh at around the same price I would go for a Burson Conductor.

Jun 28, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #608 of 866
Would anyone recommend the Pro IDSD Signature alone to get the most out of HD800S? Or does it fall short? Thanks
The Pro iDSD will work very well with these headphones.
Its not a inexpensive amp but it has so many other features including a world class DAC implementation and even has a NOS mode.
Its not like a DS dac.
It also can do real DSD regeneration if thats you thing.
IMO its a once bought its a keeper.

Good luck in your choice!

Alex

Jun 28, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #612 of 866
Could you elaborate on this? I’m interested in learning more.

What would you like to know more regards to this topic? Specific questions would be great here!

The Pro iDSD will work very well with these headphones.
Its not a inexpensive amp but it has so many other features including a world class DAC implementation and even has a NOS mode.
Its not like a DS dac.
It also can do real DSD regeneration if thats you thing.
IMO its a once bought its a keeper.

Good luck in your choice!

Alex
800S are NOT known for super bass....FYI.
Soundstage should be really good.

Great advice here!

Jun 28, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #613 of 866
With test tones, I can feel the bass go down more than enough, 15Hz. But it´s bass shy with music.

Soundstage is great indeed but I feel it could stretch out more with better amplification than de Hugo.
Nope. 800s is a tuned headphone made to perform with a HP amp that has 40ohms output impedance. The cheat I do is to use the line out of the pro iDSD, which has higher output Impedance. The end result is a very balanced sound with good bass and smaller soundstage. One gets true soundstage from an optimized setup with a good transport, good power quality and quality cables. Anyone saying they love the wide soundstage of a 800s is driving it wrong. How a 800s sounds like out of the pro iDSD is like a baby Audeze lcd4.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2022 at 1:13 PM Post #615 of 866
Nope. 800s is a tuned headphone made to perform with a HP amp that has 40ohms output impedance. The cheat I do is to use the line out of the pro iDSD, which has higher output Impedance. The end result is a very balanced sound with good bass and smaller soundstage. One gets true soundstage from an optimized setup with a good transport, good power quality and quality cables. Anyone saying they love the wide soundstage of a 800s is driving it wrong. How a 800s sounds like out of the pro iDSD is like a baby Audeze lcd4.
I don´t understand some of your conepts like the tuning of the HD800s done with a 40 ohm output impedance (as far as Iknow, the lower, the better, always), the true tuning of them being with good bass and smaller soundstage (they are well known for the opposite) and that it sounds like a baby LCD4. Is there a forum you can direct me to to better understand these concepts? Lets not focus this one on a specific model of headphones. Thanks.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back