iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Dec 9, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #811 of 2,186
What's your setup like for network? I can't make Pro iDSD force Ethernet.

I can't either. The only thing to do is never set up the wireless, or take off the arial.

Dec 12, 2018 at 5:51 AM Post #812 of 2,186
Hi @iFi audio

Can you kindly advise why there aren't any distortion figures published for Pro iDSD? Channel separation / crosstalk figures? Headphone output impedance? SNR? THD? IMD?

Even the micro iDSD and nano iDSD lines had far more specs published.

I don't think it would be unreasonable to expect the iDSD with "Pro" in the name to have the same?

These are standard specs provided everywhere for DACs and headphone amps.... Strange that it's missing completely from the product page and Tech Notes.

Would be greatly appreciated.

Here is stuff published for the micro iDSD BL, which is more than is available for the Pro iDSD:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.41.13 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.41.02 pm.png

Here is the nano iDSD BL:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.43.30 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.43.19 pm.png

Here are the topping DX3 Pro DAC published specs:

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.49.57 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-12-12 at 9.50.08 pm.png

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #813 of 2,186
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #814 of 2,186
Why? What exactly would it tell you?

That they are proud to share it's measured performance?

Like in their past products? Like most DAC/amps at this price?

You sound like you think this is an unreasonable request... to share what they've shared in the past and most others share....

And to remind you... this is the "Pro" model...

Anyway it's a polite and respectful question for @iFi audio so let's let them answer mate...

Maybe it's still being prepared for publishing.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #815 of 2,186
Distortion numbers don't say anything useful about a product's performance. I wouldn't say it's an unreasonable request, so much as it is a pointless one.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #816 of 2,186
Distortion numbers don't say anything about a product's performance. I wouldn't say it's an unreasonable request, so much as it is a pointless one.

Crikey. I'm not even sure where to begin with that... I'm sure glad you're not working for iFi Audio then...

Anyway the question was directed to @iFi audio so hopefully they can pass the message on to The Boss (Thorsten).

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #818 of 2,186
I prefer a low noise floor in my products, so yes- measurements matter.

@iFi audio - Are there plans to make the Pro iDSD in a black case version? The latest Music Direct catalog I got shows it available in both. If so, when will that be available?

Thanks!

In short, no. It's very unlikely that the pro range will arrive dressed in black. This colour is reserved for our Black Label products, hence substantially improved versions of original items and to have the Pro range any better than now will take A LOT of time.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Dec 12, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #819 of 2,186
I went a little obsessive with my noise reduction. The Pro iDSD is powered by Uptone JS2 LPS which is then plugged into Audioquest Niagara 1000. Mainly got the Niagara 1000 for the amp. It's nice to have clean power at all times.

Dec 12, 2018 at 7:46 PM Post #820 of 2,186
I don't listen to noise floor numbers :) and I remember on my first gen launch edition micro iDSD, they used to have a "filter setting" for "Measurement" and one for Listening. Tells you all you need to know about what iFi thinks about measurement :D

I remember my Playback Designs MPS5 and PS Audio DirectStream DAC launched with IIRC some appalling measurement figures but they sounded so good, I didn't really see how those measurements corresponded to how good they sounded.

But I guess it would be interesting to see those numbers on the Pro iDSD. I suspect the "best" numbers could come with Solid State but the mode I prefer (by a long shot) is Tube+ which will likely measure the worst.

Dec 13, 2018 at 6:03 AM Post #821 of 2,186
I prefer a low noise floor in my products, so yes- measurements matter.

Measurement figures are usually taken off the highest distortion peak, or taken at a given frequency, such as 1kHz, so they don't actually tell you the noise floor. Also, the impedance of the testing device, the particular output used, what bit-rate was tested and other things will affect things as well. It would be more interesting to have someone like Atomic Bob do a full set of measurements and comment.

Dec 13, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #822 of 2,186
It is hard to hear difference between Wi-Fi and USB.

The source is Spotify.

Not so hard to listen to the diferences, in my case, I find the network connection on the iFi pro iDSD a very powerful way of spending a lot less and obtain most of the iDSD Pro magic, a very well balanced, separated, detailed and cristal clear 3D presentation, it depends on all the gear associated before and after the iDSD Pro.

The USB at least in my case susceptible to a lot more variables, the USB Cable influences the characteristic of the sound, also the computer that is connected to iDSD Pro by USB can be very important and reduce a 3D sound to 2D lifeless presentation, and the quality of the power supply of all components and noise filtering affect the USB at some point.

The iDSD Pro has fantastic noise isolation, but USB is not only about controlling noise, the power cable of my server affects the sound dramatically if close to the audio chain, as the power cable of the computer, an audioquest niagara changes the sound and can make you rethink all your power cables, the interconnect can make wonders or make it sound worse.

When using the ethernet connection a lot of variables go out, in my case more than a third of the system, and I can assure that you can get the atributes of the network sound connection at some point with USB at a big added cost and inserting more variables to control and tune, both have their advantages, but at least on the iDSD Pro we have both.

The lack of Roon support is the negative point on the iDSD Pro, can easily be resolved with a SOTM SMS200 for example, or using the USB connection directly on the computer. I would loved to have that Roon RAAT direct network on the ethernet port, that would not made the necessity of purchasing a lot of additional expensive gear. But I can play with Roon now DSD 512 Native on the iDSD Pro on USB with the SOTM, something that was not possible on my MAC before.

Regarding the Audirvana Posts, I never had a problem with direct USB on OSX, but the lack of Audirvana support for Mac for almost one year, adding to very slow interface made me change to Roon and never look back.

Dec 15, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #824 of 2,186
Measurement figures are usually taken off the highest distortion peak, or taken at a given frequency, such as 1kHz, so they don't actually tell you the noise floor. Also, the impedance of the testing device, the particular output used, what bit-rate was tested and other things will affect things as well. It would be more interesting to have someone like Atomic Bob do a full set of measurements and comment.

It's a bit Captain Obvious comment but yes, of course a limited number of numbers gives only a small amount of info.. and plots vs frequency give the fuller picture...

However since we are in the Pro thread (we're not talking about nano and micro - which had more numbers published than Pro...), below are a couple other "Pro" DACs.

I don't think it's pure luck that the limited number of numbers they publish correlates nicely with the more detailed 3rd party measurements that have been done...

You are wrongly assuming that I am trying to correlate certain numbers with sound quality. All I am saying is that when you have a DAC with "Pro" in the name, there are certain reasonable minimum marketing (tech specs) expectations... see below examples.

Anyway, as previously mentioned, the question was directed to @iFi audio , so hopefully they can kindly pass on the friendly request to Thorsten.

RME ADI-2

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.08.57 am.png

Benchmark DAC3

Screen Shot 2018-12-16 at 9.09.26 am.png

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #825 of 2,186
It's a bit Captain Obvious

No, it's not. Most people don't understand even the slightest thing about measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back