iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Nov 22, 2018 at 7:03 PM Post #751 of 2,186
Sounds similar to my issue - but in my case it doesn't matter if it's a Windows source or Linux source, both always in 'exclusive' mode (WASAPI or ALSA).

So when you say 'eventually', it happens after a number of hours for you? Or less than 1 hour?

And for you, does it only happen when USB input is 'idle' and not playing music? Or even when music is playing the sound cuts off after some time?

yes i reckon it seemed to happen after certain time, it's been some time that i use it non exclusive, although eg. foobar asio will always use it as exclusive, but then it gets released correctly when foobar is exited.

Nov 22, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #753 of 2,186
other ifi products eg micro idsd never had this problem so everything logically points to the pro idsd.

Agreed.

Something with Pro iDSD's USB input is 'going to sleep' after some hours and only a hardware power cycle can wake it up again.

I'm running the v2.0 beta but I had this issue in v1.55 also.

@iFi audio

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:34 AM Post #754 of 2,186
I just turned the iDSD pro on at work and didn't see bit perfect +. after changing the input from usb, I now do see bit perfect + on all inputs. if it happens again, i'll take a video cycling through the filter options to show what's there

Could be because of the current sample rate. IIRC Bit Perfect + doesn't work with all sample rates.

Nov 23, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #755 of 2,186
No time for rest at iFi if we want to bring close to you the latest in high quality audio gear!

This weekend you’ll be able to see us at the HXOS audio show in Athens, Greece! So make sure to drop on by and listen to all the iFi audio gear on display.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #757 of 2,186
Nov 26, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #758 of 2,186
To any owners. Is anyone finding if they leave the unit on the USB input for hours, with no music playing, that the USB input goes to sleep, with no sound?

Even if I reboot my USB sources or even if I unplug them from Pro iDSD completely, I still have no sound when re-connecting them.

Even switching to another input, like SPDIF, which has sound working fine and then switching back to USB - still no sound with the USB input.

Unplugging headphones and re-plugging doesn't help either.

The only solution is to turn off the Pro iDSD completely and turn back on.

Can anyone reproduce this? Leave it on overnight, leave it on the USB input with no music playing.

Cheers

I actually just posted about this. Yes, I have the issue, but it doesn't have to be a few hours. I can have no music playing for 1 minute and the USB no longer works.

here's what I posted in the other iDSD thread:

>>So I still have this issue that's driving me crazy, and might result in my returning the iDSD before my 30 days are up.

If I listen via my iPhone, after a certain amount of time, if I hit pause, then try to resume listening a few minutes later, my phone no longer recognizes the pro iDSD. It doesn't matter how many times i unplug the usb and plug it back in. If I then try plugging my MacBook Pro into the usb of the pro iDSD, my Macbook Pro can't even recognize the pro iDSD. It's like the iDSD USB has shut off. The only way for either to see the iDSD is to restard the iDSD.

This seems like either a major bug or an issue with my unit.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've raised a support ticket but it doesn't seem like they're taking me seriously. I can't keep restarting my pro iDSD every time i hit pause. <<

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #759 of 2,186
Same issue for me. I had a ticket opened, but even with latest firmware and a new unit they sent never fixed it. It's not just USB A, its microSD as well. Streaming audio sources can work all night.

I actually just posted about this. Yes, I have the issue, but it doesn't have to be a few hours. I can have no music playing for 1 minute and the USB no longer works.

here's what I posted in the other iDSD thread:

>>So I still have this issue that's driving me crazy, and might result in my returning the iDSD before my 30 days are up.

If I listen via my iPhone, after a certain amount of time, if I hit pause, then try to resume listening a few minutes later, my phone no longer recognizes the pro iDSD. It doesn't matter how many times i unplug the usb and plug it back in. If I then try plugging my MacBook Pro into the usb of the pro iDSD, my Macbook Pro can't even recognize the pro iDSD. It's like the iDSD USB has shut off. The only way for either to see the iDSD is to restard the iDSD.

This seems like either a major bug or an issue with my unit.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've raised a support ticket but it doesn't seem like they're taking me seriously. I can't keep restarting my pro iDSD every time i hit pause. <<

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #762 of 2,186
Agreed.

Something with Pro iDSD's USB input is 'going to sleep' after some hours and only a hardware power cycle can wake it up again.

I'm running the v2.0 beta but I had this issue in v1.55 also.

@iFi audio

I never leave my units running for a longer time / when not listening -- so I haven't experienced exactly what you describe.

BUT I have to say it's common for the USB device to not initialize when the unit is turned on.

Perhaps it relates to switching audio devices -- e.g. I've turned off my bluetooth HP, waited a little, then turned on the iFi Pro iDSD. The result was no sound and even YouTube videos in Chrome would refuse to play. (The iFi driver was selected as a default device automatically.)

Changing the default software device back and forth, disabling/enabling the software device -- neither helped. The iDSD had to be turned off and back on again (which due to the long init routing is quite a nuisance).

I'm reporting this again because it happens irrespective on whether the windows device is set to exclusive mode or not.

Nov 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #763 of 2,186
BUT I have to say it's common for the USB device to not initialize when the unit is turned on.

Perhaps it relates to switching audio devices

Noted. But this is different. As per my observations earlier, the DAC was left on the USB input overnight. Inputs weren't changed and the unit wasn't turn off and on. It was left on.

So something is making "some part" of the input go to sleep. I say "some part" because you can still see incoming sample rate displayed correctly, i.e. I can change track sample rate and the correct SR will show.

But there's just no sound... until you power off and back on.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #765 of 2,186
Noted. But this is different. As per my observations earlier, the DAC was left on the USB input overnight. Inputs weren't changed and the unit wasn't turn off and on. It was left on.

So something is making "some part" of the input go to sleep. I say "some part" because you can still see incoming sample rate displayed correctly, i.e. I can change track sample rate and the correct SR will show.

But there's just no sound... until you power off and back on.

Yeah. These two issues just seem like they are related and I do hope they will both fix them in the next non-beta firmware.

@iFi audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back