iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Nov 26, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #1,936 of 2,186
What’s the general consensus on the tonality? I personally want good sub bass and a denser tonality as opposed to neutral/bright. Does the IDSD sound like that?

The Pro iDSD is along the lines of neutral to warm (more the latter than the former) in my opinion. Even more so in tube mode! I think it would fit your bill.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #1,937 of 2,186
The Pro iDSD is along the lines of neutral to warm (more the latter than the former) in my opinion. Even more so in tube mode! I think it would fit your bill.

How’s the soundstage and micro detail? Is it easy to swap the tube? RCT would definitely make for a good soundstage swap.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #1,938 of 2,186
How’s the soundstage and micro detail? Is it easy to swap the tube? RCT would definitely make for a good soundstage swap.

The tubes are definetly swappable but that would void your warranty. People have done it, but there's a process to it. It's one of those things that once you get down, you get down.

Stage-wise, I think it's excellent. Not the biggest but not small either. More focused on depth than width.

Micro detail is everything to the Pro iDSD. Its primary goal is clarity above all else.

Nov 27, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #1,939 of 2,186
Swap the tubes isn't that difficult. tube rolling is definetly not worth it here. But this is another time only my modest opinion.

If you have the possibility to test several devices, i would recommend it before burning your money!

Also imo the Amp is more important than the DAC. If it should be ifi, the Pro iCAN is the way to go. So you are more flexible with the DAC. 😉

Just have a sober focus to the features of the Pro iDSD. Especially, if there is still the "amazing WiiM Player" after nearly a half decade...

Don't get me wrong, Thorsten Loesch is a genius. But yeah...all in all...decisions where made. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You shouldn't have problems at the end with a flagship device for a flagship price. That's it. ✌🏻

Cheers and enjoy music

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #1,940 of 2,186
Swap the tubes isn't that difficult. tube rolling is definetly not worth it here. But this is another time only my modest opinion.

If you have the possibility to test several devices, i would recommend it before burning your money!

Also imo the Amp is more important than the DAC. If it should be ifi, the Pro iCAN is the way to go. So you are more flexible with the DAC. 😉

Just have a sober focus to the features of the Pro iDSD. Especially, if there is still the "amazing WiiM Player" after nearly a half decade...

Don't get me wrong, Thorsten Loesch is a genius. But yeah...all in all...decisions where made. 🤷🏼‍♂️

You shouldn't have problems at the end with a flagship device for a flagship price. That's it. ✌🏻

Cheers and enjoy music
I remember really enjoying the darker pairing of the HDV820 with my HEKs but the dynamics weren’t that great. My only reservation against the IDSD is the reputation of it being super neutral.

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #1,941 of 2,186
Hello community
I consider to upgrade my IFI PRO IDSD with the new IFI IPOWER ELITE.
CAN I DO IT?
I see that output DC of the IPOWER elite is 15V/3.5A while input DC of the PRO IDSD is 15V/4A…
I also see that output plug of the Ipower is 5.5x2.5mm while input of PRO IDSD is 5.5x2.1mm.

Please advise

Nov 28, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,942 of 2,186
Hello community
I consider to upgrade my IFI PRO IDSD with the new IFI IPOWER ELITE.
CAN I DO IT?
I see that output DC of the IPOWER elite is 15V/3.5A while input DC of the PRO IDSD is 15V/4A…
I also see that output plug of the Ipower is 5.5x2.5mm while input of PRO IDSD is 5.5x2.1mm.

Please advise
You could surely use it with Pro iDSD.
The new Signature came with this Power Supply.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #1,944 of 2,186
Probably a really dumb question, but how do I enable WPS on my iDSD Pro?

Is seems that the WPS is on the same dial as the filter, when I hold it down it just selects the DSD mode, I cant see how to engage WPS?

Nov 30, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #1,946 of 2,186

Is seems that the WPS is on the same dial as the filter, when I hold it down it just selects the DSD mode, I cant see how to engage WPS?
To use the WiiM app just connect the aerial and start the app on your phone. It should see the Pro iDSD. Waste of time though, if you ask me! It really isn't what we would expect a streamer to be in 2021.

Nov 30, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,947 of 2,186

You have to push the little knob right from the big source select knob to enable WPS.

Dec 3, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,948 of 2,186
Just got my IDSD in and man it’s a step away from the Burr Brown chip. Not too much to my liking though. It’s very clear and has good soundstage but I think it borders on bright. It’s got a ton of power which is nice. I don’t really like how the volume resets when you shut the DAC off I could see that breaking. I guess I’m used to darker/warmer DACs like R2Rs, Bifrost/Gumby etc. Still debating on whether I should keep it or go for the HDV820. I’ll give it more time.

Dec 6, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,949 of 2,186
Well my IDSD Pro is up for sale (see siggy) as I have ended up with this and the Hugo 2, given that I really have a lot of difficulty in distinguishing the sound between them I have decided to put both up for sale and keep whichever I am left with. Both sound pretty amazing with the D8000 Pros it has to be said. If I end up keeping the IDSD, perhaps I will look at picking up an ICAN down the line for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back