iFi audio Pro iDSD (Official) - NEW Firmware - MQA and more.
Jan 18, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #1,486 of 2,185
First in the world with the very latest QC5100 series Bluetooth chipset. And we’ve maxed it out!

Bluetooth technology is advancing at such a rapid rate that all manufacturers are doing their utmost to keep pace.

Here at iFi audio, we are pleased to announce that we are the very FIRST in the world to use the QC5100 series chip in high-end audio equipment.

And there’s more. This Bluetooth chipset is so new, we have had to integrate the LDAC (Sony) and HWA (Huwai) coding ourselves in-house via our own software team.

So, enough of the unashamed trumpet blowing. Why is this important?

Firstly, the processing power of the Q5100 series chipset is TWICE as good as the previous 8675 series chipset launched back in 2015. This means improved sound quality over Bluetooth. Plus, with the aptX Adaptive codec too, it is at the very cutting-edge of Bluetooth technology.

Secondly, it means that you can get your hands on this very latest Bluetooth tech at an affordable price. Better tech equals better sound quality. Our ZEN Blue and Aurora are the first high-end audio products in the world to use the QC5100 Bluetooth system. It simply isn’t available in any other audio product.

And, as stated earlier, we added the highly sought after LDAC and HWA codecs. We’ve left no stone unturned to bring you the very latest and greatest in Bluetooth technology.

A bit more on the Qualcomm family

The very latest Qualcomm audio range of Bluetooth chipsets, the 5100 series launched in 2019. The older 8675 series launched back in 2015.

The table below outlines the main differences between them.

About iFi audio products

iFi make a range of portable and desktop DAC/amps and, whether you choose the entry-level but feature-packed ZEN Blue, or the stunning all-in-one bamboo-clad Aurora, both released very recently, you’ll be able to stream all the very latest hi-res Bluetooth formats.

This includes Qualcomm’s aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, Sony’s LDAC, Huawei’s HWA, Apple’s favoured format, AAC and SBC, the standard Bluetooth codec.

We’ve got your Bluetooth needs covered.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 20, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #1,487 of 2,185
We don't do "mkII" iterations. If anything, Black Label versions.

Let's hope a Black Label Pro iDSD has streaming capabilities that are actually up to date with the times.

Airplay2 (RBCD) and Chromecast input (up to 192kHz) would cover all bases.... as Roon can play direct to Chromecast endpoints.

Or even better for Roon users, proper Roon Ready support.

Jan 20, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #1,488 of 2,185
Let's hope a Black Label Pro iDSD has streaming capabilities that are actually up to date with the times.

Airplay2 (RBCD) and Chromecast input (up to 192kHz) would cover all bases.... as Roon can play direct to Chromecast endpoints.

Or even better for Roon users, proper Roon Ready support.
If a Black Label pro iDSD ever did come out, and only if, it will be more evolved. It would be hard work for us to try to make our pro iDSD even more loaded with functionalities than it already has.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 21, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #1,491 of 2,185
But i allready have this one tubes, i don't think they are warm sounding tubes but yes they are great overall.

Jan 22, 2020 at 7:42 AM Post #1,492 of 2,185
First in the world with the very latest QC5100 series Bluetooth chipset. And we’ve maxed it out!

Bluetooth technology is advancing at such a rapid rate that all manufacturers are doing their utmost to keep pace.

Here at iFi audio, we are pleased to announce that we are the very FIRST in the world to use the QC5100 series chip in high-end audio equipment.

And there’s more. This Bluetooth chipset is so new, we have had to integrate the LDAC (Sony) and HWA (Huwai) coding ourselves in-house via our own software team.

So, enough of the unashamed trumpet blowing. Why is this important?

Firstly, the processing power of the Q5100 series chipset is TWICE as good as the previous 8675 series chipset launched back in 2015. This means improved sound quality over Bluetooth. Plus, with the aptX Adaptive codec too, it is at the very cutting-edge of Bluetooth technology.

Secondly, it means that you can get your hands on this very latest Bluetooth tech at an affordable price. Better tech equals better sound quality. Our ZEN Blue and Aurora are the first high-end audio products in the world to use the QC5100 Bluetooth system. It simply isn’t available in any other audio product.

And, as stated earlier, we added the highly sought after LDAC and HWA codecs. We’ve left no stone unturned to bring you the very latest and greatest in Bluetooth technology.

A bit more on the Qualcomm family

The very latest Qualcomm audio range of Bluetooth chipsets, the 5100 series launched in 2019. The older 8675 series launched back in 2015.

The table below outlines the main differences between them.

About iFi audio products

iFi make a range of portable and desktop DAC/amps and, whether you choose the entry-level but feature-packed ZEN Blue, or the stunning all-in-one bamboo-clad Aurora, both released very recently, you’ll be able to stream all the very latest hi-res Bluetooth formats.

This includes Qualcomm’s aptX, aptX HD, aptX Adaptive, Sony’s LDAC, Huawei’s HWA, Apple’s favoured format, AAC and SBC, the standard Bluetooth codec.

We’ve got your Bluetooth needs covered.
I thought that Pro iDSD did not have bluetooth, does this mean that it does?

Jan 22, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #1,495 of 2,185
Had a quick play with the ifi-bridge app, from first look it appears to be a wrapper for the Logitech Media Server to uPnP bridge package on github. If you are a squeezebox/slimdevices fan this might be familiar. :)
The version included with ifi-bridge actually contains the mac and linux versions so if you don't mind using a command line and reading the included docs you should be able to play around with it on a Mac.

I don't use Mac/Linux much and never used Roon/mqa so no idea if iFi tweaked anything to improve support or just did a gui wrapper for windows to run the 2 or 3 command lines needed to start this package up, I did have a look at the config files that it uses/builds and there didn't appear to be anything changed in those from the defaults (there are sections to add custom audio formats supported on individual devices for instance, no definition for iFi pro iDSD that I can see).

As I still use LMS as a music server (and my old squeezebox2 :) ) I'm going to have a play with tweaking this as being able control the iDSD and a few other uPnP devices via LMS interfaces seems a lot more user friendly then other uPnP apps I've played with in the past or Muzo. Just need to figure out exactly what file formats and bit/sample rates I can throw at it (the default/unchanged setting limits all devices to 48khz for instance).

PS Had another quick play, the iDSD doesn't advertise sample/bit rates supported (does respond with supported codecs though) via the uPnP protocol but I tried changing the sample rate in the config to 96000 and then 192000, which both worked okay with a couple of flacs I played.
It doesn't list dsf/dss as supported on uPnP but I'll have a play with that too, I've only got one dsf album so not a major issue for me. :)
BTW I got DSF files working via the bridge by converting them to DoP in a flac container.

Also been playing with using DAPs as USB source devices, iPhone (via the USB camera adapter) worked well, FIIO X5iii (after trying two OTG cables) was unimpressive with pops and distortion and Hiby AP80 (via OTG cable) worked well.

Need to get a Sony wmport OTG adapter from Japan before I can try the ZX300. :rolling_eyes:

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #1,496 of 2,185
Hello Head-Fiers,

I am using my Pro iDSD in a Hi-Fi separates system. It's a great DAC in terms of sound quality, but as a streamer it sucks that it does not support gapless playing. My workaround is to use a Yamaha WCX-50, feeding the Pro iDSD via S/PDIF coax. I am considering using a Hi-Fi streamer with a USB output instead, such as something from the Innuos range, or maybe Pro-Ject Stream Box S2. Does anybody have any experience or advice using the Pro iDSD this way? I am more interested in streaming from internet services, I own very few downloads and have no interest in keeping the DAC connected to a computer.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Jan 22, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #1,497 of 2,185
@Sphere 57 - I'm using Baby Ambre and Ambre for Roon with iDSD PRO and both are really good. You can use any Raspberry PI audio software to change them into any type of streamer you prefer if Roon is not the good option for you. If you need any more details - PM me.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:00 AM Post #1,498 of 2,185
Thanks nicodem,

Since I only use Qobuz and Tidal I don't think Roon is for me, I'm more of a physical media person. I shall Google the Ambre devices, which I infer are Pi based like the Pro-Ject, I would need software that could run on an android tablet.

Jan 22, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #1,499 of 2,185
Hello Head-Fiers,

I am using my Pro iDSD in a Hi-Fi separates system. It's a great DAC in terms of sound quality, but as a streamer it sucks that it does not support gapless playing. My workaround is to use a Yamaha WCX-50, feeding the Pro iDSD via S/PDIF coax. I am considering using a Hi-Fi streamer with a USB output instead, such as something from the Innuos range, or maybe Pro-Ject Stream Box S2. Does anybody have any experience or advice using the Pro iDSD this way? I am more interested in streaming from internet services, I own very few downloads and have no interest in keeping the DAC connected to a computer.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I'm using the Pro iDSD for a little bit more than one year, and I share your diagnosis about it: as a DAC, its sound quality is nothing short of excellent, as a streamer, its quirks and shortcomings make it meh. As iFi themselves begin to recognise it, "hard work" is needed to make it fulfill its promises and meet the expectations of the high-end users it's aiming at.

Without more details about you system, it's difficult to make precise recommendations. If it has the same architecture as mine, you could try the Neutron sound player, that works with Android. Its ergonomics are horrible, but it sounds good, and it plays gapless. Yes, Sir.

Jan 22, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,500 of 2,185
I'm using the Pro iDSD for a little bit more than one year, and I share your diagnosis about it: as a DAC, its sound quality is nothing short of excellent, as a streamer, its quirks and shortcomings make it meh. As iFi themselves begin to recognise it, "hard work" is needed to make it fulfill its promises and meet the expectations of the high-end users it's aiming at.

Without more details about you system, it's difficult to make precise recommendations. If it has the same architecture as mine, you could try the Neutron sound player, that works with Android. Its ergonomics are horrible, but it sounds good, and it plays gapless. Yes, Sir.
Thanks o.fz.

Is Neutron gapless connected to wifi/app input of Pro iDSD? Does it integrate Qobuz and Tidal? With MQA? Currently I am using Bubbleupnp (does not do MQA) and mConnect (does not do Qobuz gaplessly) on an android tablet. But to use either of these DLNA players gapless, I have to use the Wifi input of the Yamaha streamer. I don't own a NAS (or even a computer at the moment), I stream from Qobuz, Tidal and Spotify and occasionally USB sticks.

Great choice of amps BTW o.fz, I have heard Gamut many times at shows, that is what I would buy if I could afford them, and I rate Harbeth as easily the best of the BBC school of 'speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back