iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #1,741 of 3,458
I have tested only with my IDSD-bLack on dac. First time the idsd connected on Stax SRM727 with rca out. After I have comare to the iESL with my spécial cable on 6.35 out directly on XLR4 input on iESL : the result is simple, for iESL is more transparency on medium and hight medium. Better detail, transparency. The SRM 727 is goog, but for me the iESL with the L700 is a very good setup. For the price on Europe 1500€ with all headphone options is very good, Hey Stax lover headphones go to listen this iFi iESL because is spécial. For the moment I continue my test, but is shure for me the iESL great value !

For me no doubt price and performance place the iESL too high for the SRM727. Just attach an ifi IDSD-balck and we have a cappable combo of almost any driver. I do not insist on iESL's pallet to avoid buying a headphone amplifier. With a beautiful Marantz of the series 7000 and thanks to the expectional transparency of the iESL it will be possible to combine a installation of speakers and headphones very simply. In the end I thought that the iESL would make a duplicate even for the one who already has a headphone amplifier, but it is more than that it is a superb amplifier for Stax.

As part of my test I will have to retrieve a Focal Utopia, an SR007 and another SR009 next week. But this will not change my opinion, this will reinforce the conclusion of this comparative, what I took for a second gadget iFi-Audio is a new approach to enjoy listening to the headphone. It will be I think especially very advantageous for all those who already have an instalation of enclosures at home. Without changing anything, the iESL is placed beside the existing system and it is part, whatever you want to listen to an L700 or a dynamic headphone is not a problem!
Will post you review here? I think a lot of headfiers would enjoy the read and the sound comparisons of Pro iESL with all of those headphones. I also have the iDSD BL and find it an incredible piece of gear as well.i must admit I wasn't familiar with iFi until I joined Head-Fi. Now I'm a fan for life. I can't wait until the Pro iDSD gets released so I can complete my Pro Series stack.

Sep 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #1,746 of 3,458
Given ifi's reputation and previous releases, it is safe to say that it will be an amazing product, you just need to be patient.

It was a joke. I've used ifi's products before and had no complaints.

Sep 22, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,747 of 3,458
So with this silence, this will gonna be a 2018 product....:rolling_eyes:

Sep 24, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #1,749 of 3,458
And no indication what so ever this year too. They have promised September, and we are now going to October.

Up to this time they say they are tweaking it?

I say they have been cornered with current DAC offerings.

Sorry, moving on with other offerings...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #1,750 of 3,458
What ever their problem is, I bet it's due to the small form factor. I think iFi shot themselves in the foot with the form factor. DAC needs clean power supply and the small enclosure they chosen may not be big enough for the implementation to get their desired quality.

Just as a fyi, I don't mind external power supply chassis, we can do a 2x2 stack of Pro iCan and iESL on top of a 2 chassis iDSD. Maybe make this PS chassis power the iCan and iESL as well with higher quality power compared to the stock one.

Jyst saying...

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,751 of 3,458
What ever their problem is, I bet it's due to the small form factor. I think iFi shot themselves in the foot with the form factor. DAC needs clean power supply and the small enclosure they chosen may not be big enough for the implementation to get their desired quality.

Just as a fyi, I don't mind external power supply chassis, we can do a 2x2 stack of Pro iCan and iESL on top of a 2 chassis iDSD. Maybe make this PS chassis power the iCan and iESL as well with higher quality power compared to the stock one.

Jyst saying...

Jyst saying...
And no indication what so ever this year too. They have promised September, and we are now going to October.

Up to this time they say they are tweaking it?

I say they have been cornered with current DAC offerings.

Sorry, moving on with other offerings...

I think the delay must be due to implimenting MQA in the Pro. iFi has committed to the format with their recent announcement of the Nano iDSD Black Label. There’s no way their flagship DAC would be missing a key feature offered by a lesser model...

Sep 24, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,752 of 3,458
I think the delay must be due to implimenting MQA in the Pro. iFi has committed to the format with their recent announcement of the Nano iDSD Black Label. There’s no way their flagship DAC would be missing a key feature offered by a lesser model...

Makes perfect sense. Meanwhile, for those looking for an iFi "fix", there's a new USB driver up on their website.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,753 of 3,458
Dear all

Many thanks for your interest regarding the iDSD Pro.

We have now released the hardware for Pre-Production. The software is still "under construction". There are still some things we prefer to divulge once confirmed but suffice to say, we have squeezed in pretty much most of the ‘feature creep’ aspects and we will announce these when our R&D chaps give us the ok.

Thank you all for your patience - we appreciate it.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #1,754 of 3,458
Dear all

We have now released the hardware for Pre-Production. The software is still "under construction". There are still some things we prefer to divulge once confirmed but suffice to say, we have squeezed in pretty much most of the ‘feature creep’ aspects and we will announce these when our R&D chaps give us the ok.

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

Excellent news thanks for the update!

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:58 AM Post #1,755 of 3,458
Dear all

Best wishes

iFi audio Team

Dear iFi team,

I see your company is listed among the companies participating to the following event:
Rotterdam on October 7th, 2017
http://headphone-heaven.com/

I would like to tell you that I would be very happy to be able to listen to the pre-production iDSD Pro unit at this event. Would it be possible to know whether you will bring it?

Thank you
bidn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back