iFi Audio Pro iDSD discussion thread

Discussion in 'Dedicated Source Components' started by jwahl, Jan 26, 2014.

1. iFi audio
    Just wait 'till we spill 'em beans about what Pro iDSD is capable of...

2. bluesaint
    And hopefully it'll have xlr4 pin. i mean this is supposed to be a pro version, and what pro/higher end audiophile don't have balanced cables...

3. iFi audio
    Nope, no 4-pin XLR out and the same story is with i.e. our proprietary X-Bass and 3D tech. The reason is simple: Pro iDSD is a d/a converter above all else, not a typical headphone integrated solution. And having said this, it's packed with A LOT of tech suitable for the d/a job specifically (and then some!). Yes, it has a nice headphone amp built-in and we're proud of it, but this functionality is an addition to the whole package.

Think, micro iDAC2. Does it have X-Bass, 3D or 6,3 mm headphone out? That's 3 x nope. Why? Because it's a DAC, it needs DAC related things. But it does have 3,5 mm headphone out, right? Right. Because we could, in order to make it as versatile as possible within various technical limitations of this product. And if someone wants to have a nice amplifier, micro iCAN is the way to go. Therefore please think of our upcoming Pro iDSD as a device along those lines, but of grander scale. And Pro iCAN as a matching company that will satisfy the needs of headphone enthusiasts.

Our point here is that in a restaurant you get a nice, big and juicy steak and something small on the side to make this meal complete. Pro iDSD is the main course, whereas its headphone out is a small salad nearby. Yes, we could deliver to you a steak, mushrooms and a salad, sprinkle it with french fries and drown it all in cheese. But our aim is to prepare the best piece of tender and tasty meat there is and complement it with something small and fancy. That's our way.

TL;DR
    Pro iDSD + Pro iCAN = Win!
    micro iDAC2 + micro iCAN = Win!

4. KotBegemot
    I see from the photo of the unit that it has remote sensor dot.... My question is: How good will be its volume pot quality , given that I plan to use it in place of my very high end preamp ....Thanks

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  5. Katie88
    Your restaurant analogy seems flawed - In a restaurant you don't have to order a whole extra main course of things you don't need just to obtain your side of mushrooms, whereas if I were to buy the iDSD Pro and want 3D/XBass, I'd have to purchase the iCAN Pro alongside. Or is there some other way to get iDSD Pro united with 3D/XBass that I'm missing?

6. m-i-c-k-e-y
    There are the side dishes Micro or Nano Ican you can order.

7. Katie88
    I really shouldn't be so aggravated- it's your product after all and you're not forcing me to purchase it. I guess had you decided to name it Pro iDAC rather than Pro iDSD, I wouldn't have set my hopes on it having the same functionality, which I've enjoyed so much, brought forward from the iDSD model in the micro series.

bluesaint likes this.
  8. Katie88
    So you'd advise me to put the nano or micro iCan between the Pro iDSD and my amp? How does that work?

9. m-i-c-k-e-y
    Sorry my bad bro, reread your previous posts, thought you want the 3D and Xbass for the 3.5mm HP connect and not going Pro.

Look at the the Micro iTube 2. Will go in between your DAC and Amp thru RCA/connection. It will be SE though not Balanced.

Katie88 likes this.
  10. occamsrazor
    We're waiting (!!). Seriously though, I've been holding off on getting a new DAC for a year or two now, constantly thinking about new models. To be honest I had pretty totally much written off the iDSD Pro due to the very lengthy time it's been talked about but not materialized... this thread did start in Jan. 2014 :)
    That said this phileweb article has piqued my interest again. Not sure how good the Google Translation is, but the part that translates as "In addition to the USB input, the other, Wi-Fi / wired by the network audio playback, also supports playback of music streaming" definitely interests me again. If it was Roon and Audirvana (via MPD/DLNA) compatible that would be very attractive. Though the "Release date is that it is expected to be in the next year" less so....
    Understand reticence to release details early of course. Just my thoughts.... :)

11. technobear
    iTube has '3D for Speakers', not '3D for Headphones'.

Like Katie88, I'm irritated by the Pro iDSD and Pro iCAN. They are twice their original target price and really only make sense as a pair but then there is a lot of unnecessary duplication in those two boxes. I'm going to stick with what I have (which sounds ridiculously good already) and see what iFi eventually does next.

I would like to see an end to the obsession with small boxes. Get a bigger box and put all the functionality in it without the duplication. Add a pair of nice analogue VU meters and we're good to go.

Katie88 likes this.
  12. occamsrazor
    For the love of god..... please yes! :)

13. Katie88
    Re. Audirvana: I use the iDSD micro and nano with Audirvana on my Mac, and the devices are natively compatible with the Mac's OS, so I'd be surprised if the new DAC wouldn't be the same.

14. Katie88
    My thoughts too. Too many boxes to switch on before one can actually listen to the music. Also, I would imagine the original signal would be degraded as it's passed from box to box. One's hifi begins to look like an electronics lab too (which might be attractive to some of course)

15. occamsrazor
    I meant compatible with Roon and Audirvana network (ethernet) streaming, not just directly-attached USB.