iFi Audio Nano iDSD discussion + impression
Jan 2, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,066 of 2,063
Yes, I know that's the way to add a separate amp, and I do have a cheap, but decent G&W headphone amp I can use but if it was possible to do without this extra box, it would have been better. I can use the Nano by itself but a better internal amp wilts have been great.

The upgraded Nano with a better amp is called the Micro... 

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #1,067 of 2,063
After having the Nano for a week I wanted to see how it performs in my home setup. I disconnected my existing DAC (Oppo-HA1) from my Lyr2 Hybrid tube Amp and connected the Nano to the Lyr2. The Lyr2 in turn is connected to an Integrated AMP powering tower speakers (Tritons) and I let it rip.

The Nano performed very well. The soundstage is definitely there, good overall detail, and good imaging overall. The Oppo is clearly better in the areas of bass, timber, airy instruments, and vocals.

I realize this is an unfair comparison between the Nano and the Oppo, but I wanted to see how the Nano performs as a desktop DAC and the results are quite amazing. I believe the Micro with its advanced features will be the way to go for those looking for a desktop DAC. Nonetheless, the Nano keeps amazing me with its performance.

It is definitely excellent value for money and as a portable DAC for hi-res music on the go, you can't beat it.

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #1,069 of 2,063
After having the Nano for a week I wanted to see how it performs in my home setup. I disconnected my existing DAC (Oppo-HA1) from my Lyr2 Hybrid tube Amp and connected the Nano to the Lyr2. The Lyr2 in turn is connected to an Integrated AMP powering tower speakers (Tritons) and I let it rip.

The Nano performed very well. The soundstage is definitely there, good overall detail, and good imaging overall. The Oppo is clearly better in the areas of bass, timber, airy instruments, and vocals.

I realize this is an unfair comparison between the Nano and the Oppo, but I wanted to see how the Nano performs as a desktop DAC and the results are quite amazing. I believe the Micro with its advanced features will be the way to go for those looking for a desktop DAC. Nonetheless, the Nano keeps amazing me with its performance.

It is definitely excellent value for money and as a portable DAC for hi-res music on the go, you can't beat it.

I actually listened to 2 big branded amps and I found the nano iDSD better than them. I was shocked. I used an iPhone 4s using Onkyo HF Player, and the nano iDSD's DAC to demo the 2 amps. Out of curiousity, I plugged the HP on the nano iDSD's amp out, and I found the sound quality better...noticeably better...it didn't take me a few minutes or so...I recognized it instantly.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:14 AM Post #1,070 of 2,063
I actually listened to 2 big branded amps and I found the nano iDSD better than them. I was shocked. I used an iPhone 4s using Onkyo HF Player, and the nano iDSD's DAC to demo the 2 amps. Out of curiousity, I plugged the HP on the nano iDSD's amp out, and I found the sound quality better...noticeably better...it didn't take me a few minutes or so...I recognized it instantly.

That's really interesting. Just out of curiosity, what were the two AMPs you tried?

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #1,072 of 2,063

Totally unrelated, but, sfo1972, what are your Lyr tubes? =)

When I connected the Nano through the setup I had '72 Voskhod Rockets with about 20+ hours of total burnin time. Right now I am burning in '75 Voskhod Rockets Gray shields - 10 hours total burnin time so far, gotta get it up to 50+ hours 
biggrin.gif

Are you into tube rolling? Have you been on the Lyr tube rolling thread? There is a ton of great information on tubes there with a number of veteran tube rollers that are ready to help.

Jan 3, 2015 at 8:53 AM Post #1,073 of 2,063

When I connected the Nano through the setup I had '72 Voskhod Rockets with about 20+ hours of total burnin time. Right now I am burning in '75 Voskhod Rockets Gray shields - 10 hours total burnin time so far, gotta get it up to 50+ hours 
biggrin.gif

Are you into tube rolling? Have you been on the Lyr tube rolling thread? There is a ton of great information on tubes there with a number of veteran tube rollers that are ready to help.

I'm not as of yet, I'm chopping and changing at the moment, I'm waiting on a BiFrost Uber this month, then next I am going for a decent pair of 'phones; maybe March time I'll look into tube rolling, when I have a bit of spare cash. I've been reading into the Telefunken E88CC, I might give them a whirl first. I've been leaving my Lyr on 24/7 at the moment, so I'll be forced to start looking for some tubes shortly, haha. =)

Jan 3, 2015 at 9:14 AM Post #1,074 of 2,063

I'm not as of yet, I'm chopping and changing at the moment, I'm waiting on a BiFrost Uber this month, then next I am going for a decent pair of 'phones; maybe March time I'll look into tube rolling, when I have a bit of spare cash. I've been reading into the Telefunken E88CC, I might give them a whirl first. I've been leaving my Lyr on 24/7 at the moment, so I'll be forced to start looking for some tubes shortly, haha. =)

I hear ya...the Lyr is really addicting, especially with decent HPs. I have the Audeze LCD-3s paired up with it and the sound is just amazing.

Enjoy the music my friend! 

Jan 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #1,075 of 2,063
I hear ya...the Lyr is really addicting, especially with decent HPs. I have the Audeze LCD-3s paired up with it and the sound is just amazing.

The Audeze are a little out of my reach, currently!

I'm going to put aside £500 next month and have a good search. I'm looking into the Beyerdynamic T 90, HiFiMAN HE-400i, Grado RS2e. I found a Hi-Fi shop literally 5 miles down the road from me yesterday, so I'm going to arrange a trail of each of those, the only Audio Technica within my budget they sell is the ATH-AD1000X, I'll look into those, but purely from an aesthetic stand point I'm not over struck!

I like my K550's, but they don't stock AKG, I'd look into the Q701/K7xx otherwise. I'm just looking for a great pairing with the Lyr 2 & BiFrost. I'll have a better idea after I've been to 'Hi-Fi Lounge' next week.

They sell Naim also, so i might look into picking up a Nap 100 power amp to tie in my B&W's. I haven't been into Hi-Fi for about a decade or more, having significantly more disposable income than i did in my early 20's leaves me feeling like a kid in a candy store! :D

Jan 4, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #1,076 of 2,063

The Audeze are a little out of my reach, currently!

I'm going to put aside £500 next month and have a good search. I'm looking into the Beyerdynamic T 90, HiFiMAN HE-400i, Grado RS2e. I found a Hi-Fi shop literally 5 miles down the road from me yesterday, so I'm going to arrange a trail of each of those, the only Audio Technica within my budget they sell is the ATH-AD1000X, I'll look into those, but purely from an aesthetic stand point I'm not over struck!

I like my K550's, but they don't stock AKG, I'd look into the Q701/K7xx otherwise. I'm just looking for a great pairing with the Lyr 2 & BiFrost. I'll have a better idea after I've been to 'Hi-Fi Lounge' next week.

They sell Naim also, so i might look into picking up a Nap 100 power amp to tie in my B&W's. I haven't been into Hi-Fi for about a decade or more, having significantly more disposable income than i did in my early 20's leaves me feeling like a kid in a candy store!
biggrin.gif

I highly recommend auditioning equipment, just as you are planning to do. Regardless of the investment, we end up spending a lot of time with our HPs and AMPs and you want to get the best sound possible, so I wish you the best of luck in finding that magic pair 
wink.gif

Jan 4, 2015 at 3:19 AM Post #1,077 of 2,063
I highly recommend auditioning equipment, just as you are planning to do. Regardless of the investment, we end up spending a lot of time with our HPs and AMPs and you want to get the best sound possible, so I wish you the best of luck in finding that magic pair :wink:

+1. And don't give price much weight, just your ears, so audition as many as possible within your budget including the extremely cheap ones...:)

Now if I were you, for 500 pounds, I'll get a used LCD-2 Rev. 2 or even Rev. 1 instead of a brand new something. :)

Jan 4, 2015 at 5:39 AM Post #1,078 of 2,063
+1. And don't give price much weight, just your ears, so audition as many as possible within your budget including the extremely cheap ones...
smily_headphones1.gif

Now if I were you, for 500 pounds, I'll get a used LCD-2 Rev. 2 or even Rev. 1 instead of a brand new something.
smily_headphones1.gif

Is it possible to pick up the LCD-2 for ~£500? I'm a bit hooked on the idea of owning Grados, they look so comfy, I'm hoping they perform as good as they look. I think I might also see if I can audition the Fidelio X2, I've heard great things about those.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:38 AM Post #1,079 of 2,063

Is it possible to pick up the LCD-2 for ~£500? I'm a bit hooked on the idea of owning Grados, they look so comfy, I'm hoping they perform as good as they look. I think I might also see if I can audition the Fidelio X2, I've heard great things about those.

Yes. Used. That's around US$760. There is a used LCD-2 selling in Head-Fi's classifieds section for around that amount.

Jan 4, 2015 at 6:52 AM Post #1,080 of 2,063

Needless to say, looks are very important - but, make sure you like the way they sound. There is no sense in picking up LCDs when your heart is set on Grados all else being equal. But you have to see what your ears really like. When I bought my LCDs I tried different brands and to my ears the HD800s did not sound as good as the LCD3s. Your experience will vary based on what you like.

Aesthetics are important, because we love our stuff and we spend a good bit of time with them. The trick is in balancing form and function 
redface.gif

Enjoy the music buddy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back